SL on Raspberry Pi?

  • Alan Melia
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
      Hi Mike SL runs quite happily under WINE on Linux I believe, but I am not
      sure what the memory/speed problems wold be likely to be.....but that could
      be an easier route ??

      Alan
      G3NYK
    • pmooney22
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2013
        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Melia" <Alan.Melia@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mike SL runs quite happily under WINE on Linux I believe, but I am not
        > sure what the memory/speed problems wold be likely to be.....but that could
        > be an easier route ??
        >
        > Alan
        > G3NYK

        Hi Alan,

        The Raspberry Pi FAQs state that the RPi won't run WINE, I'd assumed because of the different architecture (ARM vs 386).

        Paul
        5B8BA
      • Alan Melia
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2013
          Ah of course, time it was recompiled :-))
          Alan

          >> Hi Mike SL runs quite happily under WINE on Linux I believe, but I am not
          >> sure what the memory/speed problems wold be likely to be.....but that
          >> could
          >> be an easier route ??
          >>
          >> Alan
          >> G3NYK
          >>

          > Hi Alan,
          >
          > The Raspberry Pi FAQs state that the RPi won't run WINE, I'd assumed
          > because of the different architecture (ARM vs 386).
          >
          > Paul
          > 5B8BA

        • Dave B
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2013
            On 1 May 2013 at 9:23, Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > __ 2. SL on Raspberry Pi?
            > Posted by: "Alan Melia" Alan.Melia@... g3nyk
            > Date: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:57 am ((PDT))
            >
            > Hi Mike SL runs quite happily under WINE on Linux I believe, but I am
            > not sure what the memory/speed problems wold be likely to be.....but
            > that could be an easier route ??
            >
            > Alan
            > G3NYK

            Hi..

            SL does run OK under Wine on Linux, but only if the host CPU is an x86
            family beast.

            Im not sure if Wine will even install on the Pi (I've not tried, as it's
            not an x86 CPU, so AFIK useless for any Windows apps that would
            ordinarily run with it, even if it did install.)

            Like they say.. "Wine Is Not an Emulator." I wouldn't expect it to run
            on the Pi, sadly, even if you did recompile it for the Pi, due to the ARM
            processor the Pi uses, as the windows app's trying to run would need
            specific x86 CPU op-codes etc to run, not just the windows API like
            support Wine provides, whatever language it was built with.

            Someone has an x86 emulator for the ARM(!) I read somewhere. But I doubt
            there'll be many usefull CPU cycles left for serious DSP work, I think it
            was done to run old DOS games...

            73.

            Dave G0WBX.
          • Stephen
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2013
              Guys,

              It's very confusing for an old dude like me, and I suspect others here, if you don't explain what the acronyms mean. For example SL.

              73s Steve
            • vbifyz
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2013
                Looks like a response to my post in a different group was cross-posted.
                The software in question is the excellent spectrum analysis tool by Wolf DL4YHF, called Spectrum Lab.
                It is based on old Borland toolkit that is only available on x86 Windows computers. RPi is neither x86 nor Windows, so we are out of luck here.
                I hope that there may be a way to run Windows 98 on some x86 emulator on RPi. But most likely it will be very slow.

                73, Mike

                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <squirrox@...> wrote:

                > Guys,
                >
                > It's very confusing for an old dude like me, and I suspect others here, if you don't explain what the acronyms mean. For example SL.
                >
                > 73s Steve

              • Stephen
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2013
                  Thanks for clarifying that....

                  Actually I believe Borland Delphi is still alive and well though under another name. A lot of people still use it.
                  There was a Linux version called Kylix but that seems to be dead.

                  73s Steve