Re: RasPi APRS tracker?

  • Vance Campbell
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 29, 2013
      I would hate to see all that command and control traffic going over the standard APRS network. Maybe you could use the same protocols, but a different frequency?
    • Mathison Ott
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 30, 2013

        That's realy up to the end user. And if packets are sent wide-1 then yes. You are responcible for your conduct on the air.

        73

        Mathison kj6dzb

        On Apr 30, 2013 12:50 AM, "Vance Campbell" <vcampbell@...> wrote:

        I would hate to see all that command and control traffic going over the standard APRS network. Maybe you could use the same protocols, but a different frequency?

      • Alex
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 30, 2013
          Xastir is a little overkill for what I was planning. Don't get me wrong, it's a great software. But for this project, I was basically aiming for a TinyTrak or OpenTracker replacement with some neat new features made possible by the RasPi board. Not something with a graphical interface.

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Mathison Ott <mathisono@...> wrote:

          > Alex I would pref to load install the software my self. Hi Hi.
          >
          > If you are going to make an image, let xastir be the program that ships,
          > Ive been using it for a +2years now, Ive set the maps up 2 or 3 times. I
          > say the only stressful thing was down loading the maps from a "slow" server
          > in DC! I had trouble pulling maps a few weeks ago... LARGE map file and the
          > servers are often unreliable. Dose any one care to share a map that they
          > like!? Its a lot to Pull detailed county/city maps for the whole USA, so
          > im looking for a good road map. The Wiki dose have the info to find the
          > maps and install them (xastir software updates have fixed that problem) A
          > Map discussion could cut thou the noise...
          >
          > Im only referring to the Argent Data System Radio box as an example. Ive
          > had the idea that computer AI could respond to APRS or PSK for a bit. This
          > could be the First making it not just another APRS program. For the RPi
          > to interpolate sound KISS & TNC & TCP into GPIO and or execute scripting.
          > IF the code could supports sound kiss decoding/encoding of PSK COOL!
          >
          > We might be able to cut down on the work by using "dire wolf"
          >

          > 73 kj6dzb Mathison

        • Ray Wells
          Message 4 of 27 , May 1, 2013
            All,

            The application I had for my RPi was to use it as an aprs gateway. Accordingly I compiled the kernel ax25 stuff and xastir. Xastir worked but was, as expected, a tad slow drawing raster maps. Since the RPi was going to be headless, a gui program like xastir was overkill. I think it was on the TAPR aprs SIG that I was steered towards dixprs for the gateway software. It works a treat.

            Now, Bela Markus, the author of dixprs, is keen to hear from people requesting new features. He might be interested in adapting dixprs to drive, say, a 4x16 display version for use as a tracker. Dixprs already works with kernel ax25 or a serial port (usb/rs232 adapter) for the TNC interface.

            Whilst not designed specifically for the RPi, Bela is well aware of my use of dixprs on the RPi. Asking him the tracker question costs nothing. It might be an avenue worth pursuing.

            Ray vk2tv

            On 01/05/13 08:37, Alex wrote:

            Xastir is a little overkill for what I was planning. Don't get me wrong, it's a great software. But for this project, I was basically aiming for a TinyTrak or OpenTracker replacement with some neat new features made possible by the RasPi board. Not something with a graphical interface.

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Mathison Ott <mathisono@...> wrote:

            > Alex I would pref to load install the software my self. Hi Hi.
            >
            > If you are going to make an image, let xastir be the program that ships,
            > Ive been using it for a +2years now, Ive set the maps up 2 or 3 times. I
            > say the only stressful thing was down loading the maps from a "slow" server
            > in DC! I had trouble pulling maps a few weeks ago... LARGE map file and the
            > servers are often unreliable. Dose any one care to share a map that they
            > like!? Its a lot to Pull detailed county/city maps for the whole USA, so
            > im looking for a good road map. The Wiki dose have the info to find the
            > maps and install them (xastir software updates have fixed that problem) A
            > Map discussion could cut thou the noise...
            >
            > Im only referring to the Argent Data System Radio box as an example. Ive
            > had the idea that computer AI could respond to APRS or PSK for a bit. This
            > could be the First making it not just another APRS program. For the RPi
            > to interpolate sound KISS & TNC & TCP into GPIO and or execute scripting.
            > IF the code could supports sound kiss decoding/encoding of PSK COOL!
            >
            > We might be able to cut down on the work by using "dire wolf"
            >

            > 73 kj6dzb Mathison

          • bob_g3wkw
            Message 5 of 27 , May 2, 2013
              Error loading /etc/aprstoolkit.conf

              looks like you need to include a default config file for editting.

              Bob

              G3WKW

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <alex@...> wrote:

              > To all that said they were interested, the source code can be found here: https://github.com/ab0tj/APRSToolkit
            • bob_g3wkw
              Message 6 of 27 , May 2, 2013
                Well I hacked together a file that worked. Have to try it out on the road now! Using direwolf as the tnc took me a while to discover the need for the -p to enable the pseudo terminal on /tmp/kisstnc

                ; my config file guess
                [station]
                mycall=G3WKW
                [tnc]
                port=/tmp/kisstnc
                baud=1200
                [gps]
                enable=true
                port=/dev/rfcomm0
                baud=9600
                [beacon]
                via=WIDE1-1
                comment=testing from Fleet
                compressed=false
                symbol_table=/
                symbol=-
                static_rate=900
                sb_low_speed=5
                sb_low_rate=1800
                sb_high_speed=60
                sb_high_rate=180
                sb_turn_min=30
                sb_turn_time=15
                sb_turn_slope=255

                Bob
                G3WKW

                Message 7 of 27 , May 2, 2013
                  Just for fun, I compiled aprx (http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en) on the Pi last night, it came right up with TNC-PI.

                • Alex
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 2, 2013
                    Bob,

                    Yes, perfect on the config file. Sorry I had not gotten to documentation yet, as I was getting the impression that there wasn't much interest.

                    There are also some command line options, -c <configfile> to set a config file path, -v for some info on what's going on, and -z <gps, tnc or sb> for debug info.

                    -Alex

                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "bob_g3wkw" <bob.thornton@...> wrote:

                    > Well I hacked together a file that worked. Have to try it out on the road now! Using direwolf as the tnc took me a while to discover the need for the -p to enable the pseudo terminal on /tmp/kisstnc
                    <snip>
                  • Alex
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 9, 2013
                      For those following along at home, APRSToolkit has been renamed PiCrumbs, as I have decided to leave out the planned IGate functionality. APRX does a fine job for that. I have also added some features and an example config file complete with comments.

                      It's still not ready for a general release since it's under construction, but for the adventurous ones out there, the source code can be found at https://github.com/ab0tj/PiCrumbs

                      73!
                      Alex/AB0TJ
                    • qrv@kd4e.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 9, 2013
                        Any idea if this can be ported to the BeagleBone-Black and other
                        similar Raspi-type devices?

                        --

                        Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

                        David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

                        Search with: duckduckgo.com

                      • Alex
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 9, 2013
                          At this point it should compile and run on anything that uses Linux. The temperature sensor functionality is the only thing I can think of that might need to be looked at if you want to use it on other devices.

                          Thanks,
                          Alex

                          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "qrv@..." <qrv@...> wrote:

                          > Any idea if this can be ported to the BeagleBone-Black and other
                          > similar Raspi-type devices?
                          >
                          > > For those following along at home, APRSToolkit has been renamed
                          > > PiCrumbs, as I have decided to leave out the planned IGate
                          > > functionality. APRX does a fine job for that. I have also added some
                          > > features and an example config file complete with comments.
                          > >
                          > > It's still not ready for a general release since it's under
                          > > construction, but for the adventurous ones out there, the source code
                          > > can be found at https://github.com/ab0tj/PiCrumbs
                          > >
                          > > 73! Alex/AB0TJ
                          >

                          > --
                          >
                          > Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
                          >
                          > David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA
                          >
                          > Search with: duckduckgo.com

                          > Creative Tech: groups.yahoo.com/group/ham-macguyver
                          > Raspi Alternative: groups.yahoo.com/group/beagleboneblack/
                          >
                          > Restored to design-spec at Heaven's gate 1Cor15:22

                        • bob_g3wkw
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 14, 2013
                            I believe you are missing out the leading zeros for the longtitude degrees. Perhaps you are over 100 degrees West, I am less than one degree West and need the padding.
                            I have been fighting some hardware issues so have not road tested yet. (Looks like one 7 port hub I have works fine but the second one (4 port) I plan to use mobile does not handle USB audio reliably without the dwc_otg.speed=1 being added to /boot/cmdline.txt.)

                            Bob
                            G3WKW

                            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <alex@...> wrote:

                            > For those following along at home, APRSToolkit has been renamed PiCrumbs, as I have decided to leave out the planned IGate functionality. APRX does a fine job for that. I have also added some features and an example config file complete with comments.
                            >
                            > It's still not ready for a general release since it's under construction, but for the adventurous ones out there, the source code can be found at https://github.com/ab0tj/PiCrumbs
                            >
                            > 73!
                            > Alex/AB0TJ

                          • Mathison Ott
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 15, 2013

                              I was given a small mercal from another ham, its http://w9if.net/iweb/perlaprs/

                              Currently is only functions to exicute scripts based on the packets being picked up from a specific call-7. Message receved scripting.

                              Im looking for a 3v control relays, I have a few 5-15v relays that drive a 120v... But nothing low power, I will try to trip 2 flashing leds, and mabey a 120v relay.

                              Mathison

                              On May 14, 2013 3:44 PM, "bob_g3wkw" <bob.thornton@...> wrote:

                              I believe you are missing out the leading zeros for the longtitude degrees. Perhaps you are over 100 degrees West, I am less than one degree West and need the padding.
                              I have been fighting some hardware issues so have not road tested yet. (Looks like one 7 port hub I have works fine but the second one (4 port) I plan to use mobile does not handle USB audio reliably without the dwc_otg.speed=1 being added to /boot/cmdline.txt.)

                              Bob
                              G3WKW

                              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <alex@...> wrote:

                              > For those following along at home, APRSToolkit has been renamed PiCrumbs, as I have decided to leave out the planned IGate functionality. APRX does a fine job for that. I have also added some features and an example config file complete with comments.
                              >
                              > It's still not ready for a general release since it's under construction, but for the adventurous ones out there, the source code can be found at https://github.com/ab0tj/PiCrumbs
                              >
                              > 73!
                              > Alex/AB0TJ

                            • n5snn_1
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 12 6:29 AM

                                Hi Alex,

                                is there any update on your PiCrumbs ?

                                73 de Yono / YD0NXX

                                > For those following along at home, APRSToolkit has been renamed
                                > PiCrumbs, as I have decided to leave out the planned IGate
                                > functionality. APRX does a fine job for that. I have also added some
                                > features and an example config file complete with comments.
                                >
                                > It's still not ready for a general release since it's under
                                > construction, but for the adventurous ones out there, the source code
                                > can be found at https://github.com/ab0tj/PiCrumbs
                                >
                                > 73! Alex/AB0TJ

                              • ab0tj
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 18, 2015
                                  Yes. I have been putting a lot of work into it over the past few weeks. It now uses GPSd for better GPS compatibility, is compatible with Dire Wolf instead of relying on soundmodem, and has many bug fixes. I'm working on some new features as well, including PSK63 functionality for HF aprs.

                                  73,
                                  Alex