SHH > PI from WAN

  • w4jpa
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2013
      I have a NO-IP static address that I want to use when we re-locate the PI based RMS gate to a better site. To PuTTY in from my desktop during development I gave the PI a local LAN static IP and all was well but;

      If I give my PI the NO-IP public static IP address I am then UNABLE to access it from the desktop PuTTY! with either new static address or it's old LAN address!

      Here's the odd thing; My Router's status window is currently showing its Public IP address as the NO-IP static one! Hmm!
    • Mark Cheavens
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2013
        That is correct!
        The routable IP address (Non-NAT'd) is the one that gets No-IP is looking for. You can configure it to report the LAN address if you want.

        You need to open the ports you want from the router to internal devices. OR create a VPN tunnel.

        Mark
        KC5EVE
        At 06:33 AM 4/27/2013, w4jpa wrote:

        I have a NO-IP static address that I want to use when we re-locate the PI based RMS gate to a better site. To PuTTY in from my desktop during development I gave the PI a local LAN static IP and all was well but;

        If I give my PI the NO-IP public static IP address I am then UNABLE to access it from the desktop PuTTY! with either new static address or it's old LAN address!

        Here's the odd thing; My Router's status window is currently showing its Public IP address as the NO-IP static one! Hmm!

      • John Lawrence
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27, 2013
          Can you assign a local address for the Pi in your router.
          In other words can you program DHCP in the router by assigning a local LAN address using the MAC  ( hardware address ) ?

          If you are unsure I can send you some screen shots of my router.
          NE3E

          On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 7:33 AM, w4jpa <abjarvis@...> wrote:

          I have a NO-IP static address that I want to use when we re-locate the PI based RMS gate to a better site. To PuTTY in from my desktop during development I gave the PI a local LAN static IP and all was well but;

          If I give my PI the NO-IP public static IP address I am then UNABLE to access it from the desktop PuTTY! with either new static address or it's old LAN address!

          Here's the odd thing; My Router's status window is currently showing its Public IP address as the NO-IP static one! Hmm!

        • Bob Scanferla
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 27, 2013
            I think what you are saying is that your PI is on an internal address behind your router whose WAN port has the NO-IP static address.

            SO you either need to put the PI in the Routers DMZ   or set up the router to forward the SSH port to the NAT'd address of the PI.