GPIO Pins for PTT?

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 25, 2013
      Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched the group but haven't come up with anything useful yet. Anyway, has anyone gotten soundmodem to use one of the GPIO pins for PTT? I am working on a Raspberry Pi tracker program using soundmodem for the TNC and the only thing missing is a way to key the radio. I'd really like to stay away from VOX if at all possible. I have seen some references to using the RTS line from the onboard serial, but I will be using the serial data lines (hamlib rig control) and I'm not sure if hamlib and soundmodem can share the same serial port.

      Thanks!
      Alex (AB0TJ)
    • Jim Sheldon
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013
        Folks,  after playing with a no-name USB sound dongle and getting poor results with FLDIGI unless I really overclocked the Pi (still got somewhat erratic decodes), I came across another little plug in that I had ordered last year sometime for another project.  That project got abandoned before I ever actually used the plug.  It's sold by a company called StarTech for around $22 plus shipping.

        Just for giggles, I plugged it in to the hub attached to my Pi and booted 'er up.  Wheezy picked right up on it and when I ran FLDIGI (set to slow computer, under 700MHz in the CONFIG, MODEMS, MISC configuration tab) I got 99 percent reliable decode on even very weak signals.  Radio is an Elecraft KX3 and I had it on 20 meters with my A3S tri-band yagi.  It seemed as long as the signal was above the default squelch level in FLDIGI and wasn't badly distorted it would decode.

        Hooked up the speaker out of the dongle through a 10dB attenuator cable I had on hand to cut it down a bit for the microphone input of the KX3.  Turned on the VOX and adjusted the TX ALC for 4 bars plus the 5th flickering per Elecraft's manual and called CQ on PSK31 with the power out set to 5 watts.  W2RMG came right back, gave me a 599 report and we chatted a bit.  His signal was running around S5 to S7 on peaks but I never lost a character on him.

        I think the key to running FLDIGI on the Pi may be a reasonably high quality USB sound adapter and tell FLDIGI that it's running on a slow computer (under 700 MHz).  Also, turn off the multi channel decode in FLDIGI (it defaults to on.)  This made a BIG difference in the quality of the decoding and between that and checking the slow computer box in the configuration menu, the Pi appears to run it just fine.

      • David Martin
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 29, 2013

          Jim,

          I hadn't got around to it yet, but I was going to try the SignaLink USB with the Pi.

          --
          David Martin - K5DCM - Mountain Home Ar.

          Quoting Jim Sheldon :

[...]

        • pmooney22
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
            Hi Jim,

            Could you tell me the chip set of the device please? Unfortunately manufacturers have been known to change the chips during a production run if they find a cheaper supplier.

            If you're new to linux you can find it by typing 'lsusb'.

            Might this sort of info be useful in a group file?

            TIA

            Paul
            5B8BA

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 30, 2013
              Hi Paul,
              I  was going to say I couldn't.  I bought it from Star Tech (www.startech.com) for about $22 US around a year ago.  Their part # is ICUSBAUDIO and I should have included that in the post - My bad.  I just went back to the Star Tech website and looked it up again.  Much to my surprise, it is still available ($21.99 US)  and in the tech specs, they DO list the chipset.  C-Media - CM108AH  so there you go Paul.

              Jim - W0EB

              > Hi Jim,
              >
              > Could you tell me the chip set of the device please? Unfortunately
              > manufacturers have been known to change the chips during a
              > production run if they find a cheaper supplier.
              >
              > If you're new to linux you can find it by typing 'lsusb'.
              >
              > Might this sort of info be useful in a group file?
              >
              > TIA
              >
              > Paul
              > 5B8BA
              >
              > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jim Sheldon
              > <w0eb@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Folks,  after playing with a no-name USB sound dongle and getting
              >> poor results with FLDIGI unless I really overclocked the Pi
              >> (still got somewhat erratic decodes), I came across another
              >> little plug in that I had ordered last year sometime for another
              >> project.  That project got abandoned before I ever actually used
              >> the plug.  It's sold by a company called StarTech for around $22
              >> plus shipping.

              > <*> Your email settings:
              > Individual Email | Traditional
              >
              > <*> To change settings online go to:
              > ID required)
              >
              > <*> To change settings via email:
              > Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO-digest@yahoogroups.com Raspberry_Pi_4-
              > Ham_RADIO-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • pmooney22
              Message 6 of 11 , May 1, 2013
                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

                > Hi Paul,
                > I was going to say I couldn't. I bought it from Star Tech (www.startech.com) for about $22 US around a year ago. Their part # is ICUSBAUDIO and I should have included that in the post - My bad. I just went back to the Star Tech website and looked it up again. Much to my surprise, it is still available ($21.99 US) and in the tech specs, they DO list the chipset. C-Media - CM108AH so there you go Paul.
                >
                > Jim - W0EB

                That's great Jim, I've got one of those in a drawer somewhere.

                Thanks for the info,

                Paul, 5B8BA
                Message 7 of 11 , May 1, 2013
                  Alex,

                  I haven't heard of a way to do this - The config program metiones GPIO, but it seems this refers to the GPIO pins on some usb sound dongles. I think you'd have to modify the soundmodem source - which would be pretty simple to do.

                  Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched the group but haven't come up with anything useful yet. Anyway, has anyone gotten soundmodem to use one of the GPIO pins for PTT? I am working on a Raspberry Pi tracker program using soundmodem for the TNC and the only thing missing is a way to key the radio. I'd really like to stay away from VOX if at all possible. I have seen some references to using the RTS line from the onboard serial, but I will be using the serial data lines (hamlib rig control) and I'm not sure if hamlib and soundmodem can share the same serial port.

                  Thanks!
                  Alex (AB0TJ)

                • bob_g3wkw
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 2, 2013
                    http://dl8scu.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/are-you-lucky-no-usb-to-serial-converter-needed/

                    Does this help?

                    Bob

                    G3WKW

                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

                    > Alex,
                    >
                    > I haven't heard of a way to do this - The config program metiones GPIO, but
                    > it seems this refers to the GPIO pins on some usb sound dongles. I think
                    > you'd have to modify the soundmodem source - which would be pretty simple to
                    > do.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > John
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Alex
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 2, 2013
                      That does help, thank you!

                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "bob_g3wkw" <bob.thornton@...> wrote:

                      > http://dl8scu.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/are-you-lucky-no-usb-to-serial-converter-needed/
                      >
                      > Does this help?
                      >
                      > Bob
                      >
                      > G3WKW
                      >
                      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Alex,
                      > >
                      > > I haven't heard of a way to do this - The config program metiones GPIO, but
                      > > it seems this refers to the GPIO pins on some usb sound dongles. I think
                      > > you'd have to modify the soundmodem source - which would be pretty simple to
                      > > do.
                      > >
                      > > 73,
                      > > John
                      > >

                      > > _____

                    • JUAN A. GRANADOS
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 19, 2013
                        This discussion group is for people interested in the state of the art
                        of the development of SDR (Software defined Radio) and the commercial,
                        open source and experimental options available to licensed radio
                        amateurs worldwide.

                        Its purpose is educational and informative.

                        In this new forum important things can be discussed such as:

                        What is DUC and DDC transceivers? Who is making them?

                        Does Hermes or Mercury, mean anything to you? What about SDR-IQ or Perseus?

                        Do they cost more or less to manufacture? Where are they manufactured?
                        Who manufactures them? What is a FPGA? And an ADC? Where are these
                        components engineered and/or manufactured?

                        What are the differences between Open Source software and Propietary
                        software? PowerSDR, SmartSDR, cuSDR, Ham-radio SDR, QTradio and many
                        others…? Who is writing them? What is their history?

                        What about Gigabit? What is it all about? And all this about sample
                        rates and slices? How do these advances impact the cost of the SDR radio?

                        Is SDR for everyone?

                        And, what’s this about client servers?

                        How much more am I purchasing for $9,000.00? If I already have a
                        $900.00/ 100W transceiver that operates all bands from 160M to 432MHz
                        (70cm)?

                        How important are these extreme statistics being published by the ARRL
                        and other independent labs?

                        Join and start the discussion at
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sdr-users/join?

                        73