Another aproach?

  • vk4tub
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 25, 2013
      greetings All

      I have a question for the group,..has anyone ever installed a LAMP Server on the PI?
      After having no joy with the personal cloud software I was advised to give the Linux Tutor website a go as it would appear that the

      software on this site is written for the PI so I figured I would have better odds at getting it working.

      http://penguintutor.com/linux/raspberrypi-webserver

      My reasoning for trying this tack is that it looks like myself and quite a few others on here in the group are simply not going to

      even begin to understand linux and i simply am not prepared to spend years trying, just to load a few pieces of ham radio software

      onto the raspberry PI.

      I am fully prepared to paint by numbers in order to get packet radio software and other ham radio utilities working if i have to.

      I liken this to people who started to buy their ham gear in the early 70's while all the older hams at the time had built their own

      hf gear tuners and amplifiers. And usually the only commercial gear they might own was a 2 metre hand held.

      If anyone in our local area had all commercial gear the were named "appliance operators" because they didnt know or understand how

      their equipment worked, yet they slowly took over as less and less people built there own gear.

      I am willing to be an appliance operator when it comes to linux, and if I can get a pre configured image of a piece of ham radio

      software ready to install onto an SD card and just plug it into the raspberry PI then i will be more than happy to do so.

      For this purpose I thought of the idea to have a small free server that I could back onto the internet and make 2 terrbites of

      storage space available that anyone who had a working image of a piece of ham radio software already pre installed could take an

      image of it and upload so that others less techincally linux savey could down load and get working without all the problems and

      enormous time sacrafice, to get a few simply ham radio related software programs to work.

      With that idea in my head i started this morning to paint by numbers and install a LAMP server as it was instructed on the website.
      After having spent almost 12 hours I and not too much further with this than when i started this morning.
      However I have got it to the point where i can now type in my interial IP address and it comes back saying congratulations it works.

      MY QUESTIONS

      This is where the instructions stop and I am unable to find out how to configure it up to mount up the storage drive,and do I write

      my own web interface for it as it does not appear to have one??

      If someone on this list have one working using the same software as the Penguin tutor used for the raspberry I would really

      appreciate some pointers as i can write html no problem and the only thing I can see is it would entail quite a bit of maintenance

      to update everytime someone uploaded a new image.

      thanks in advance...Kerry

      PS.... and as for the old time linus guys "please dont flame me" as I am very much a beginner with this software and I am trying

      very hard to get something to work on the PI...thankyou
    • Eric Scott
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 25, 2013
        Hi,

        Here is a link for a tutorial on installing a LAMP server on a Raspberry PI.

        '73

        Eric
        VE7KLZ / KC7KLZ

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 25, 2013
          sorry forgot to paste in the link.

          '73

          Eric
          VE7KLZ / KC7KLZ

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 25, 2013

            Installing the LAMP stack on the RPi is pretty straight forward with yum.  It works quite well, although MySQL queries/updates may not be really snappy because of the latency of the SD Card access.. but it is acceptable for most uses.  Installing phpMyAdmin as well for database maintenance would be recommended.

            Beyond the install deciding what and how you want it to actually do it may be another matter.  But with PHP and MySQL in the back end updating raw html can be all but eliminated completely by dynamic web pages.

            Dave - N0TRQ

            On Apr 25, 2013 10:53 AM, "Eric Scott" <kc7klz@...> wrote:

            sorry forgot to paste in the link.

            '73< /div>

            Eric
            VE7KLZ / KC7KLZ

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 25, 2013
              If you are using Wheezy -- that would be apt-get

              My suggestion to the original poster, is walk before you run.  Install  apache2 (apt-get install apache2)

              Create a couple of hand edited html pages and try it out.  Get familiar with configuration and logs, then add PHP and MySQL (running MySQL with the data on the SD is going to be slow, but will work -- better to use an attached drive, but that is going to take some Linux knowledge to configure properly).

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 25, 2013
                  This place is turning into a linux support group, not a RPi Users group.

                  There is a lot to be gained from using linux, it will just take TIME and a lot of messing around. Realty Asking questions that have been fully answered on the internet. bugs me...

                  73
                  Mathison

                  On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Dave Cochran <dave@...> wrote:

[...]

                • Michael O'Bannon
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 25, 2013
                    Mathison,

                    You have a delete key.  Let me suggest you use it.

                    There is a reason there are so many questions about linux.  RPi was designed to be a linux machine, and the linux distributions supplied for it have had many, many problems.  The answers to some of the basic questions change over time, and the internet is full of old, partial, and just plain wrong information.  It's very hard for new users to sort out what is what.

                    If this forum can't be a friendly and supportive source of helpful information about linux on the RPi, then it isn't going to be very useful to most users.

                    73,
                    Michael  KD4SGN

                    This place is turning into a linux support group, not a RPi Users group.

                    There is a lot to be gained from using linux, it will just take TIME and a lot of messing around. Realty Asking questions that have been fully answered on the internet. bugs me.

                  • Dave B
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 26, 2013
                      On 25 Apr 2013 at 23:10, Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                      > Re: Another aproach?
                      > Posted by: "Mathison Ott" mathisono@... frohockman
                      > Date: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:03 pm ((PDT))
                      >
                      > This place is turning into a linux support group, not a RPi Users
                      > group.
                      >
                      > There is a lot to be gained from using linux, it will just take TIME
                      > and a lot of messing around. Realty Asking questions that have been
                      > fully answered on the internet. bugs me...
                      >
                      > 73
                      > Mathison

                      Hi..

                      Please remember back when you were a new user, of anything. I'll bet you
                      also repeatedly asked much the same sort of questions of others before it
                      all sunk in 100%. I know I have in the past!

                      I have no issue seeing even basic Linux stuff asked and answered here.
                      Especially, as it's often more specific to the Pi in particular. OK,
                      some of you eat sleep breathe like a Penguin, but the rest of us need our
                      flippers holding, or even being feed regurgitated fish again and again.

                      As there are laterally 1000's of Linux support sites scattered about the
                      web, and one distribution is often somewhat unlike another (the
                      differences between Debian and Fedora based command line repository
                      commands for instance) this list to my mind is the correct place to ask
                      stuff about the Pi, to find relevant answers.

                      Now... I don't see any problem with pointing people to other sites for
                      more or background info if relevant and accurate, but for the Pi, and
                      it's version(s) of the Linux OS, this is the place to be, and long may it
                      be so.

                      73.

                      Dave G0WBX.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 26, 2013
                        Everybody should remember the old saying:

                        "The stupid (dumb) questions are the ones that were not asked"

                        typically resulting in regret, usually after a negative experience.

                        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

                        > Please remember back when you were a new user, of anything. I'll bet you
                        > also repeatedly asked much the same sort of questions of others before it
                        > all sunk in 100%. I know I have in the past!
                      • John
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 6, 2013
                          This thread may have killed off the beginner's chatter. I hope not!
                          The group introduction says "Any discussion of the RPi is welcome"!

                          The real advantage of the Pi is the number of us struggling with common problems and the resources that have become available to us. Some of the posts I make here are from the Pi rather than my windows system. I have followed your advice and brought up Apache but I am still on the steep side of the learning curve. So far my tests with the GPIO operations seem pretty slow but I expect things to improve as I progress. On the list of things to do is to integrate an Arduino board for I/O connectivity, and to direct attach and AD via I2C. Somewhere in the mix I will add some relays. Ultimately, I would like to control the Station via the Pi utilizing the CAT interfaces on the radios (currently a Tentec Jupiter and a Yaesu FT-857), my homebrew rotor controller, Audio processing, etc. When equipment is upgraded the system should not change a lot from the operator's perspective.
                          Remote operation is a must whether it be from upstairs or a distant point via the web. de W8CCW John

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 6, 2013
                            Hi John
                            Everything except ANALOG interface should be doable on the Pi directly.. The analog could most
                            likely be done with some add-on chips. Have you looked at the GERTboard? It is an I/O expansion card
                            for the Pi, not sure what it's features are. I think the Pi can do these tasks without the help of
                            the Arduino. I haven't experimented with the I/O yet, just collected up some I/O expansion chips to
                            experiment with.

                            -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

                            > The real advantage of the Pi is the number of us struggling with common problems and the resources that have become available to us. Some of the posts I make here are from the Pi rather than my windows system. I have followed your advice and brought up Apache but I am still on the steep side of the learning curve. So far my tests with the GPIO operations seem pretty slow but I expect things to improve as I progress. On the list of things to do is to integrate an Arduino board for I/O connectivity, and to direct attach and AD via I2C. Somewhere in the mix I will add some relays. Ultimately, I would like to control the Station via the Pi utilizing the CAT interfaces on the radios (currently a Tentec Jupiter and a Yaesu FT-857), my homebrew rotor controller, Audio processing, etc. When equipment is upgraded the system should not change a lot from the operator's perspective.
                            > Remote operation is a must whether it be from upstairs or a distant point via the web. de W8CCW John
                          • Jim Sheldon
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 6, 2013
                              John and others,
                              The Gertboard has a whole bunch of I/O that can be configured just about any way you want it.  Somehow I wound up with 2 of these and am only going to use one of them.  If anyone is interested, I'll sell this one, complete with the required cable to connect with a Raspberry Pi (normally an extra cost option not included with the board).  It's a fully assembled & tested board and I'll also include a printed copy of the latest manual.    These sell for $45 and change plus shipping from Newark and other places.  I'll let this one go $45 shipped anywhere in the U.S.

                              Please contact me off list if you want it.  First email gets first refusal (by date/time sent).  My email address is w0eb@..., callsign is W0EB and my address is good on QRZ.com

                              Jim - W0EB

                              From the manual, here's the list.
                              The major building blocks are:
                              12x buffered I/O
                              3x push buttons
                              6x open collector drivers (50V, 0.5A)
                              48V, 4A motor controller
                              28-pin dual in line ATmega microcontroller
                              2-channel 8/10/12 bit Digital to Analogue converter
                              2-channel 10 bit Analogue to Digital converter

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 6, 2013
                                Gertboard has been spoken for!  Got a reply within 2 minutes of my post  - WOW.

                                Jim - W0EB

                                > John and others,
                                > The Gertboard has a whole bunch of I/O that can be configured just
                                > about any way you want it.  Somehow I wound up with 2 of these and

                              • John Ferrell
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 6, 2013
                                  The purpose of integrating the Arduino with the Pi is to support the
                                  Arduino, not the other way around. I have a couple of prototype
                                  plugboards mounted on a piece of plywood (6x8") with the Pi. The Arduino
                                  will just be the chip, xtal & caps.
                                  Another project is simply to implement a MCP3008 AD with the spi
                                  interface. I think this is well documented at ADAFRUIT. Think of it as a
                                  lab project.
                                  Also, I think I would feel more secure with opto-isolator coupling for
                                  any attached relays. I am using simple Fets to drive the rotator relays
                                  from a MicroChip 16Fxxx processor now.
                                  I have yet to explore the details of an I2C lab project.

                                  Your web page http://n1jmm.no-ip.org/linux/commands.html has been a big
                                  help. I suggest you add ". <myscript.sh>" to run a script in BASH. Then
                                  again, may be I was working too late!
                                  BTW, I am looking to try the KALI linux distro on a PC to further my
                                  Linux skills. I understand KALI has the same roots as RasPI which is the
                                  Wheezy Model.
                                  I think the Gertboard is a good buy but I want to try this way this time.
                                  73 de W8CCW John

                                  --
                                  John Ferrell W8CCW
                                  That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 6, 2013
                                    IMHO the purpose is to fry the Arduino rather than the Pi in the case of a bad mistake. The Arduino is the cheaper item to replace.

                                    Weirdly this got me thinking about the old school mainframes I used to work on. The folk history says that they only had one processor doing everything. In fact this was far from the truth, many of them had processors to manage I/O for the CPU...

                                    73s Steve