RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Setting up new PITNC

  • Max Harper
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
      John, one thing that is confusing to me is what programs and steps are required for setup using the I2C connection compared to what programs are needed to work with a program such as APRX. One of the steps removes the ability to use the console (Remove the line that says: console=ttyAMA0, 115200) for example. But in my case I want the console. Does the program  i2ckiss need the ax25-tools and ax25-apps? Does the programs pitnc_getparams and pitnc_setparams need the ax25-tools and ax25-apps? I don't want to install anything that isn't needed.

      An unrelated problem that I have run into is that as soon as I start APRX, my Wifi connection drops. An error in the syslog reads "wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=00:14:bf:3b:38:17 reason=0"

      My suggestion would be for you to sit down with someone who knows nothing about Linux and let them try to use your instructions.

      Thanks, Max KG4PID
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
        Max,

        I'm not sure which John you are asking, but I can probably answer.

        Sorry, I don't understand the first question. Whether you use i2c or not is a separate issue from what application you use.

        Basically you need to use i2c if you want to use more than one TNC, or you are using the PI serial port for something else. Otherwise it is simpler to use the serial interface. This is the case whatever packet software you are running.

        If you want to use i2c, and any packet program other than LinBPQ, you have to use i2ckiss.

        It isn't clear what console you are talking about when you say you want to use the console. The console=ttyAMA0 allows you to connect a dumb terminal (or emulator) to the serial port for use as a console. Removing it does not prevent you using the linux consoles that appear on the HDMI or composite video.

        i2ckiss needs libax25. Normally it is used in conjunction with the linux ax.25 stack, so you will already have ax25-tools and ax25-apps, but if you have an application that doesn't use the linux stack you'll have to install libax25. pitnc_getparams and pitnc_setparams don't need any other libraries.

        I've never used APRX,, so I've no idea why it should cause your wifi to drop.

        73, John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
          Can someone remind me of the I2C address that some were haveing a problem with on the TNC-PI. I tried doing a search but couldn't find it. Seems like it was address ZERO that was a problem.

          Thanks, Max
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013

            It must be between 3 and 119. Zero means use serial. 1 or 2 will stop you accessing it and require a PIC programmer to fix it.

            The latest setparams wont let you set other values, but you may have an old copy.

            73, John

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
                Ok, Max.

                That will give you a problem. The TNC comes programmed for serial, and you have to access it over the serial port to switch it to i2c. So you will have to use some other access (monitor/usb keyboard or ssh) to set the TNC to i2c mode, You can then re-enable the getty on /dev/ttyAMA0 so you can use it as a console.

                73, John

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
                  Guess I killed mine!   Have never been able to get the TNCX to respond to pitnc_getparams or ...setparams.
                  pilinbpq seems to load and perhaps will work.  Will try the serial interface and see what happens.

                  73 Clayton N4EV

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
                    Clayton,

                    If it never responded to get or set in serial mode, then it is unlikely thet you have changed the i2c address. There is probably some other problem - a build error, missing links LK3 and 4 or something using /dev/ttyAMA0.

                    If it responded in serial mode, but not after you attemted to set an address of 1 or 2, then it is probably messed up.

                    73, John

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 25, 2013
                      John:   Well I must've lucked out!  Set it up for serial port and using ax25tools/apps, I was able to connect with a
                      station here.  Tried the Xastir program but never received any data nor would it transmit (not my main focus).
                      I am going to reload Pilinbpq again tomorrow and see if I can get the thing on the air.

                      I  agree with one of the chaps that wanted a Pilinbpq for Dummies how to.  Seems some of the details are passed
                      over.  I know from past experience that doing a how-to seems to loose some of the details because I know how
                      to make it work and assume that anyone else does too.

                      Thanks for all you hard work on this effort and hope you have some help in answering the "dumb" questions!  HI

                      73 Clayton N4EV

[...]

                    • Ray Wells