Competition heats up

  • vbifyz
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 23, 2013
      http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black
      It is expected to be $45 when generally available. For $10 more than RPi you get:
      - more GPIO
      - power supply included
      - faster CPU
      - 2GB onboard flash
    • Stephen
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 23, 2013
        Wow, I want one....if not two...

        73s Steve G0XAR

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

        > http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black
        > It is expected to be $45 when generally available. For $10 more than RPi you get:
        > - more GPIO
        > - power supply included
        > - faster CPU
        > - 2GB onboard flash

      • Kristoff Bonne
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 23, 2013
          Hi,

          On 23-04-13 18:55, vbifyz wrote:

          http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black
          It is expected to be $45 when generally available. For $10 more than RPi you get:
          - more GPIO
          - power supply included
          - faster CPU
          - 2GB onboard flash

          There already was competition:
          See here: http://www.pcduino.com/

          Anycase, great to see all these new products. No question about that!

          73
          Kristoff - ON1ARF
        • qrv@kd4e.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 23, 2013
            Questions, please?

            1. Where are the pcduino & beagleboard-black built?

            2. Are either easier or more difficult to program?

            3. Is there any feature in the Raspi B missing from
            either of these?

            4. May Raspi or Arduino apps be ported to these?

            Thanks!

            David

            --

            Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
            David Colburn nevils-station.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 23, 2013
              On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM, qrv@... <qrv@...> wrote:

              Questions, please?

              1. Where are the pcduino & beagleboard-black built?

                I have a vague recollection that the beagle stuff originates from the UK, and I know most things "-duino" originate from Italy (as far as designs go).  As far as manufacturing, China is usually your best bet, at least once series production gets up and running.  Building anywhere drives the cost up (often dramatically).

              2. Are either easier or more difficult to program?

                All three run linux, so they should in theory all be equally easy.  And you should be able to compile the same software on all three.  There may or may not be libraries for controlling hardware on one that don't exist on the other, but those kinds of things tend to equalize pretty fast when new hardware shows up on the market.

              3. Is there any feature in the Raspi B missing from
              either of these?

                You'd have to compare the three spec sheets.

              4. May Raspi or Arduino apps be ported to these?

                In theory, nearly any application written in a supported language should be portable (in source form) to nearly any other linux platform.  Generally, porting is a non-issue with modern methods of source configuration (ie, the autoconf toolchain).  I can't speak to Arduino, though it's certainly possible to write a library that provides Arduino calls and maps them to linux calls.  No idea if that actually exists or not, but in concept, it's very simple.

              Thanks!

              David

              --

              Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
              David Colburn nevils-station.com
              I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com

              -=jeff=-
            • Dave Cochran
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 23, 2013

                Quick glance over the spec sheets show some differences... some large others not so large. depending on what you expect from it, and what you want it to do. Add in how much  more $$$ you want to throw at it each one to make it equal up to another.

                Kind of like building a computer from parts..... oh yeah... they are computers. Heehee

                It still baffles the mind to see so much processing power on such a tiny platform, given 10 years ago a ghz CPU was pretty much unheard of.

                I see I am in the need for some new toys...

                Dave
                N0TRQ

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 23, 2013
                  Jeff,

                  Thanks!

                  David

                  --

                  Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
                  David Colburn nevils-station.com
                  I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
                • Ray Wells
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 23, 2013
                    On 24/04/13 10:16, qrv@... wrote:
                    > Jeff,
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > David
                    >
                    >> __
                    >>
                    >> Questions, please?
                    >>
                    >> 1. Where are the pcduino & beagleboard-black built?
                    >>
                    >> I have a vague recollection that the beagle stuff originates from the
                    >> UK, and I know most things "-duino" originate from Italy (as far as
                    >> designs go). As far as manufacturing, China is usually your best bet,
                    >> at least once series production gets up and running. Building anywhere
                    >> drives the cost up (often dramatically).
                    >>

                    >> 2. Are either easier or more difficult to program?
                    >>
                    >> All three run linux, so they should in theory all be equally easy.
                    >> And you should be able to compile the same software on all three.
                    >> There may or may not be libraries for controlling hardware on one that
                    >> don't exist on the other, but those kinds of things tend to equalize
                    >> pretty fast when new hardware shows up on the market.
                    >>

                    >> 3. Is there any feature in the Raspi B missing from
                    >> either of these?
                    >>
                    >> You'd have to compare the three spec sheets.
                    >>

                    >> 4. May Raspi or Arduino apps be ported to these?
                    >>
                    >> In theory, nearly any application written in a supported language
                    >> should be portable (in source form) to nearly any other linux platform.
                    >> Generally, porting is a non-issue with modern methods of source
                    >> configuration (ie, the autoconf toolchain). I can't speak to Arduino,
                    >> though it's certainly possible to write a library that provides Arduino
                    >> calls and maps them to linux calls. No idea if that actually exists or
                    >> not, but in concept, it's very simple.
                    >>

                    >> Thanks!
                    >>
                    >> David

                    >> > There already was competition:
                    >> > See here: http://www.pcduino.com/
                    >> >

                    >> > Anycase, great to see all these new products. No question about that!
                    >> >

                    >> > 73
                    >> > Kristoff - ON1ARF
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >>
                    >> Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
                    >> David Colburn nevils-station.com <http://nevils-station.com>
                    >> I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com <http://duckduckgo.com>
                    >> Restored to design-spec at Heaven's gate 1Cor15:22
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> -=jeff=-

                    At about twice the price of the RPi is the Olimex A13 that can run Linux
                    from SD Card. https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A13/

                    I currently use the RPi for my APRS gateway and although I'm basically
                    happy with it I wanted a "bit more" even though I wasn't sure what that
                    bit more was. I chose the Olimex A13 without the on-board wifi option
                    (because wifi tends to not work very well when locked inside a metal 1RU
                    box <g>). It has a 1GHz processor, 512M RAM, loads of I/O, VGA video to
                    a standard socket and runs from 12v (actually 6-16v), all of which
                    appealed to me.

                    I compiled a Debian Wheezy kernel (modified .config to suit me) and have
                    now compiled kernel ax25 and xastir, which works quite well, well enough
                    to contemplate marrying it with the Olimex 7" LCD touch screen for a
                    mobile APRS installation.

                    I'm posting my progress on the Yahoo ARM_Boards_4_Ham_Radio list so
                    I'll mention it no more here on the RPi list.

                    I have no association with Olimex other than as a user of their product.

                    Ray vk2tv
                  • pmooney22
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 24, 2013
                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "vbifyz" <3ym3ym@...> wrote:

                      > http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black
                      > It is expected to be $45 when generally available. For $10 more than RPi you get:
                      > - more GPIO
                      > - power supply included
                      > - faster CPU
                      > - 2GB onboard flash

                      Provosional (79 page) manual at http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1685587.pdf
                    • Stephen
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 24, 2013
                        Actually all of the Pi's are made in the UK now with the exception of those made for the Chinese market...

                        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Francis™ <jeff@...> wrote:

                        > On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM, qrv@... <qrv@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Questions, please?
                        > >
                        > > 1. Where are the pcduino & beagleboard-black built?
                        > >
                        > I have a vague recollection that the beagle stuff originates from the UK,
                        > and I know most things "-duino" originate from Italy (as far as designs
                        > go). As far as manufacturing, China is usually your best bet, at least
                        > once series production gets up and running. Building anywhere drives the
                        > cost up (often dramatically).
                        >

                        > > 2. Are either easier or more difficult to program?
                        > >
                        > All three run linux, so they should in theory all be equally easy. And
                        > you should be able to compile the same software on all three. There may or
                        > may not be libraries for controlling hardware on one that don't exist on
                        > the other, but those kinds of things tend to equalize pretty fast when new
                        > hardware shows up on the market.
                        >

                        > > 3. Is there any feature in the Raspi B missing from
                        > > either of these?
                        > >
                        > You'd have to compare the three spec sheets.
                        >

                        > > 4. May Raspi or Arduino apps be ported to these?
                        > >
                        > In theory, nearly any application written in a supported language should
                        > be portable (in source form) to nearly any other linux platform.
                        > Generally, porting is a non-issue with modern methods of source
                        > configuration (ie, the autoconf toolchain). I can't speak to Arduino,
                        > though it's certainly possible to write a library that provides Arduino
                        > calls and maps them to linux calls. No idea if that actually exists or
                        > not, but in concept, it's very simple.
                        >

                        > > Thanks!
                        > >
                        > > David

                        > > > There already was competition:
                        > > > See here: http://www.pcduino.com/
                        > > >

                        > > > Anycase, great to see all these new products. No question about that!
                        > > >

                        > > > 73
                        > > > Kristoff - ON1ARF
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > >
                        > > Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
                        > > David Colburn nevils-station.com
                        > > I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
                        > > Restored to design-spec at Heaven's gate 1Cor15:22
                        > >

                        > --
                        > -=jeff=-

                      • siegfried jackstien
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 27, 2013
                          So much power on a tiny board?!? Ever heard of the odroid x2?!?

                          Quadcore on a small form factor (but a bit more expensive then a raspi)

                          Dg9bfc

                          Sigi

                        • Kristoff Bonne
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 30, 2013
                            Hi Siegfried,

                            (inline comments)

                            On 27-04-13 22:13, siegfried jackstien wrote:

                            So much power on a tiny board?!? Ever heard of the odroid x2?!?
                            Quadcore on a small form factor (but a bit more expensive then a raspi)

                            Nice device. If you do not need GPIO (or can use an external device for that, like a USB-to-serial dongle); it is surely a great choice.

                            Concerning GPIO pins, I did see a video on device that showed a small board (IIRC made by TI) that provides some 20 or 30 I/O pins for IO for just a couple of dollars. (the board is connected via USB).

                            Anycase, the question seams to be less and less "does there exist a board that can", but "which board do I chose for ..." :-)

                            Today I found out about yet another board,  the cubieboard: http://cubieboard.org/

                            Dg9bfc
                            Sigi

                            73
                            Kristoff - ON1ARF
                          • Tim McDonough N9PUZ
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 30, 2013
                              On 4/30/2013 10:34 AM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

                              > Concerning GPIO pins, I did see a video on device that showed a small
                              > board (IIRC made by TI) that provides some 20 or 30 I/O pins for IO for
                              > just a couple of dollars. (the board is connected via USB).

                              A simple, straightforward way to add a lot of digital I/O to a R-Pi
                              would be to use some of the GPIO pins to connect up a string of
                              serial-to-parallel shift registers. You could have nearly as many inputs
                              and outputs as you would want. The main limitation is they would be
                              dedicated inputs or outputs, not bi-directional.

                              Tim N9PUZ
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 30, 2013
                                Or something like this

                                They also do a 10 channel analog to digital converter (which I've used)

                                73, John

                                On 4/30/2013 10:34 AM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

                                > Concerning GPIO pins, I did see a video on device that showed a small
                                > board (IIRC made by TI) that provides some 20 or 30 I/O pins for IO for
                                > just a couple of dollars. (the board is connected via USB).

                                A simple, straightforward way to add a lot of digital I/O to a R-Pi
                                would be to use some of the GPIO pins to connect up a string of
                                serial-to-parallel shift registers. You could have nearly as many inputs
                                and outputs as you would want. The main limitation is they would be
                                dedicated inputs or outputs, not bi-directional.

                                Tim N9PUZ

                              • wb4jfi
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 30, 2013
                                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Tim McDonough N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

                                  > On 4/30/2013 10:34 AM, Kristoff Bonne wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Concerning GPIO pins, I did see a video on device that showed a small
                                  > > board (IIRC made by TI) that provides some 20 or 30 I/O pins for IO for
                                  > > just a couple of dollars. (the board is connected via USB).
                                  >
                                  > A simple, straightforward way to add a lot of digital I/O to a R-Pi
                                  > would be to use some of the GPIO pins to connect up a string of
                                  > serial-to-parallel shift registers. You could have nearly as many inputs
                                  > and outputs as you would want. The main limitation is they would be
                                  > dedicated inputs or outputs, not bi-directional.
                                  >
                                  > Tim N9PUZ

                                  Another option is to use I2C port expander ICs. These can even be "turned around" rather quickly between inputs and outputs. Phillips, TI, NXP, and others sell parts that do 8 or 16 pins worth of I/O, with multiple I2C addresses possible. For example, PCF8574 has 8 bits of I/O. The PCA9555 does 16-bits of I/O. I've used both of these particular parts, but there are others as well.

                                  The I2C bus on the Pi can be shared between an Si570, RTC(DS1307), PCF8574, etc, all at the same time. You only need to worry about 3.3V vs 5V pull-ups on the two I2C signals (SCL and SDA).
                                  Terry, WB4JFI
                                • Tom Hoflich
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 30, 2013
                                    If you want output ports and you lazy like me, you might take a tool at this

                                    73, Tom KM5H

                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 1, 2013
                                      Hi,

                                      A video I saw mentioned this TI MSP430 launchpad:
                                      http://www.ti.com/tool/msp-exp430g2

                                      From what I understand, it can be used as USB device attached to a lnux device with a USB host port.

                                      My question is then how to interface this with existing software on the linux.

                                      You can find these things on ebay for less then 10 euro.

                                      73
                                      Kristoff - ON1ARF

                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                                        Hello kristoff

                                        Yes i also know the cubie board ...

                                        A nice add on is the baseboard for the cubie ... adds lcd, vga. touchpanel,
                                        2x8W speaker amp .... and best thing is adds a power regulator for 3.3v and
                                        5v that can hold loads up to 3 amps ...

                                        Booting up from nand flash or from sata should be real fast

                                        Powerful device for only a few bucks more than a raspi ...

                                        So now the question is not what board to take but what money is needed for
                                        xy application (how much power do I need and what connectors do I need for
                                        that app)

                                        Dg9bfc

                                        Sigi

                                      • Mathison Ott
                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                                          Power consumption ? no one is talking about power consumption. the Rpi only draws 700mah making it ideal for low power consumption Ive run on for over 24hr on a 12v car battery. whats the dog board got to say about that?

                                          Mathison

                                          On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:16 AM, siegfried jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

                                          Hello kristoff

                                          Yes i also know the cubie board ...

                                          A nice add on is the baseboard for the cubie ... adds lcd, vga. touchpanel,
                                          2x8W speaker amp .... and best thing is adds a power regulator for 3.3v and
                                          5v that can hold loads up to 3 amps ...

                                          Booting up from nand flash or from sata should be real fast

                                          Powerful device for only a few bucks more than a raspi ...

                                          So now the question is not what board to take but what money is needed for
                                          xy application (how much power do I need and what connectors do I need for
                                          that app)

                                          Dg9bfc

                                          Sigi

                                        • Jeff Francis™
                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                                              Everything is a trade-off.  You want more computational power?  All other things being equal, it's going to cost you more amp-hours.  But that's a trade-off that may make perfect sense for many applications.  For many (most?) users, power consumption is irrelevant, at least up to a certain point.  A typical high-end home PC now consumes something like 300W.  Whether your Pi/Beagle/Whatever board consumes 2W vs. 3W vs. 10W has no meaning to most users.  Only if you're doing something very unusual will it matter.

                                            --
                                            -=jeff=-
                                          • Alex
                                            Message 21 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                                              Actually, it seems the BeagleBone has slightly lower power consumption despite the higher computing power. Source (one of many): http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mobile-linux/715298-45-beaglebone-black-keeps-eyes-on-raspberry-pi

                                              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Francis™ <jeff@...> wrote:

                                              > Everything is a trade-off. You want more computational power? All other
                                              > things being equal, it's going to cost you more amp-hours. But that's a
                                              > trade-off that may make perfect sense for many applications. For many
                                              > (most?) users, power consumption is irrelevant, at least up to a certain
                                              > point. A typical high-end home PC now consumes something like 300W.
                                              > Whether your Pi/Beagle/Whatever board consumes 2W vs. 3W vs. 10W has no
                                              > meaning to most users. Only if you're doing something very unusual will it
                                              > matter.

                                            • Jeff Francis™
                                              Message 22 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                                                  Hence the phrase "all other things being equal". :D

                                                --
                                                -=jeff=-
                                                Message 23 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                                                  There is a general group for discussing different ARM based boards -- ArmedAmateurs, which may be a better place for advocacy and comparisons.

                                                  This is a Raspberry Pi forum.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , May 3, 2013
                                                    On 04/05/13 08:53, John D. Hays wrote:

                                                    There is a general group for discussing different ARM based boards -- ArmedAmateurs, which may be a better place for advocacy and comparisons.

                                                    This is a Raspberry Pi forum.

                                                    ARM_Boards_4_Ham_Radio@yahoogroups.com

                                                    Ray vk2tv

                                                  • siegfried jackstien
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , May 5, 2013
                                                      Cubieboard is in similar range as the raspi ...

                                                      Can be powered from 500ma usbport (if no harddisk drive connected and no
                                                      other power hungry device is added)

                                                      Cubie and raspi are nearly same thing

                                                      A real pc with 300 (or more!) watts of input power draws MUCH more from your
                                                      pocket (more bucks to pay for power company)

                                                      So ... if you search something like a small server (that runs 24h/day) then
                                                      a device like the raspi or cubie is the way to go

                                                      Dg9bfc

                                                      sigi