Message postings -

  • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
      (Please trim inclusions from previous messages)

      Thanks.

      Group Owner/Moderator

    • Fran Miele

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
          Hi Fran,

          I basically agree, but we can make it simpler for everyone..

          Like yours below I included it all... In this case I do not think it was needed. because my message was close to yours in the list of messages.. However should that have not been the case and your posting was larger, or you felt someone might not get the point... >

          When a posting very large, or is made up of many other postings I am much less inclined to even read past the first post... and if used in a future post in it entirty I am much more inclined to hit the delete message...

          Remember many use Digest mode.. and it is discourtious to have multi layered messages repeated in their entierty over and over again as can happen in a discussion... or debate...

          We need to consider that only one of two or three things need to be conveyed in aposting ..
          1) A brief excerpt from the previous post to help augment point.
          2) If that does not get it post a link to the other message so IF someone is so inclined to do the research they can find the older messsges.. they are all there for them to browse..

          I do agree, We should also consider a thread title change when we diviate from the previous topic..

          Just my thoughts... I do not have all the answers but think if we do some thinking before we post and remember that not everyone has Hi Speed Internet and TB of storeage... we can move forward much smoother...

          I wish Yahoo had many more options...

          But please TRIM inclusions if only one sentance, or paragraph of a 5 page message is relevent to your reply only include that.. if 4 pages or all of it is needed.. Please consider a LINK to the original message...

          Thanks for feed back...

          73 Jerry N9LYA

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
              The idea is to trim unneeded text and only leave what's really necessary to keep the thread within context.

              This benefits archive searches in the future, so you don't have page through repeated quotations, long signatures, etc.

              73,
              -jav k4jh

              On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Fran Miele <fran@...> wrote:

              I think some inclusions should not be trimmed. If you trim everything then you don't know what the reply is pertaining too. The subject isn't enough because many time the threads go off subject.

            • Stephen
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
                Hi Guys,

                The first thing I did with my Pi after making it run "headless" (headless=accessing it from another computer so as not to tie up a monitor and keyboard) was to use it to access my EMail account using the Pi's Graphical User Interface and Web browser". I am thinking about using my Pi to store posts from this group so I can download them and access them without an Internet connection. So anything we can do to shed unwanted text would save space.

                73s Steve G0XAR
                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Javier Henderson <javier@...> wrote:

                > The idea is to trim unneeded text and only leave what's really necessary to
                > keep the thread within context.
                >
                > This benefits archive searches in the future, so you don't have page
                > through repeated quotations, long signatures, etc.
                >
                > 73,
                > -jav k4jh
                >

                > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Fran Miele <fran@...> wrote:
                >

                > > I think some inclusions should not be trimmed. If you trim everything then
                > > you don't know what the reply is pertaining too. The subject isn't enough
                > > because many time the threads go off subject.

              • pmooney22
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
                  'Trimmed' rather than 'cut' I believe entirely apporpriate

                  If a subject goes off thread why not delete the items that are not appropriate to the part of the thread that are not pertinent to the part you engaged in?

                  Yes, I'm an old fart who grew up on bulletin boards where activities such as top-posting carried a death sentence (thanks for Outlook, Microsoft).

                  Paul
                  5B8BA