Starting startx

  • Donald
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 21, 2013
      When working from a SSH connection, is it possible to start a GUI session with the startx command? In my case, it does not seem to work. I do not need the whole GUI interface. I would simply like to open "IDLE 3" I am learning Python and I want to open IDLE3 from a SSH session. That way I would not need to worry about a monitor. I am operating WIFI. Thank you.
      Don
      VE3HOL
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 22, 2013
        Don,

        startx starts the the gui on the pi display.

        ssh can be set up so that when you run a gui (X) program, the display appears on the remote machine If you are running windows you'll need to install an X server. There are several options but I use MobaXterm, which combines an ssh client and an X server, along with a lot of other useful features.

        73, John

        When working from a SSH connection, is it possible to start a GUI session with the startx command? In my case, it does not seem to work. I do not need the whole GUI interface. I would simply like to open "IDLE 3" I am learning Python and I want to open IDLE3 from a SSH session. That way I would not need to worry about a monitor. I am operating WIFI. Thank you.
        Don
        VE3HOL

      • Robert F Jarvis
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 22, 2013

          The SSH is a simple serial comms link. You might want to look up VNC. Hope this helps

          When working from a SSH connection, is it possible to start a GUI session with the startx command? In my case, it does not seem to work. I do not need the whole GUI interface. I would simply like to open "IDLE 3" I am learning Python and I want to open IDLE3 from a SSH session. That way I would not need to worry about a monitor. I am operating WIFI. Thank you.
          Don
          VE3HOL

        • Bob Scanferla
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 22, 2013
            If you are working from a windows based machine I have found that the windows desktop sharing application (Remote Desktop Connection) works nicely too.

            you may need to install the thightvnc  package on the Pi.

            Bob

            When working from a SSH connection, is it possible to start a GUI session with the startx command? In my case, it does not seem to work. I do not need the whole GUI interface. I would simply like to open "IDLE 3" I am learning Python and I want to open IDLE3 from a SSH session. That way I would not need to worry about a monitor. I am operating WIFI. Thank you.
            Don
            VE3HOL

          • Ray Cadmus
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 22, 2013
              You might try something like:

                  ssh -X username@piname  idle3

              This will open the program and display the window on your local screen.

              Hope this helps,

              ray    W0PFO

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 22, 2013
                Hi Don

                this is very simple

                log into the linux using:

                ssh -X <linuxusername>@<linuxboxaddress>[ programname to run] <<<< optional to add program name here.

                if the program was specified on the login line above then enter it here:
                <programname>& <<<<<<<<< the ampersand will cause program to open and divorse itself from the
                terminal session.

                Do this from an X-windows system, another linux box or mac seems to work well.

                -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

                On 4/21/13 11:04 PM, Donald wrote:
                > When working from a SSH connection, is it possible to start a GUI session with the startx command? In my case, it does not seem to work. I do not need the whole GUI interface. I would simply like to open "IDLE 3" I am learning Python and I want to open IDLE3 from a SSH session. That way I would not need to worry about a monitor. I am operating WIFI. Thank you.
                > Don
                > VE3HOL

              • Fran Miele

                  When working from a SSH connection, is it possible to start a GUI session with the startx command? In my case, it does not seem to work. I do not need the whole GUI interface. I would simply like to open "IDLE 3" I am learning Python and I want to open IDLE3 from a SSH session. That way I would not need to worry about a monitor. I am operating WIFI. Thank you.
                  Don
                  VE3HOL

                • John Ferrell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 22, 2013
                    Install xrdp on the pi side.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 22, 2013
                      Yes, on the Pi.. Xrdp is a server package that allows windows Remote DesktoP to connect to it. A VNC
                      server will also be required as Xrdp acts as a go-between for RDP & Linux VNC.

                      -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B