Rasp Pi GMSK modem daughter board

  • mark_w6sat
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 21, 2013
      Good morning all.

      At our monthly luncheon yesterday Jim (KI6ZUM) introduced a project he has been working on. Its a daughter board GMSK modem for the Rasp Pi.

      Software is still being developed for this but its looks very promising.

      http://www.ki6zum.com/index.html

      73

      Ted
      W6SAT
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 22, 2013
        Hi Ted,

        This looks very interesting - possibly for a 9600 packet TNC as well as for DSTAR. Do you know if boards and/or kits will be available?

        73, John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 22, 2013
          Hi Mark,

          On 21-04-13 23:42, mark_w6sat wrote:

          Good morning all.

          At our monthly luncheon yesterday Jim (KI6ZUM) introduced a project he has been working on. Its a daughter board GMSK modem for the Rasp Pi.
          Software is still being developed for this but its looks very promising.

          Surely looks interesting.

          I have a project for a gmsk modem for codec2 (c2gmsk) which can run on a raspberry pi but using USB audio-dongles.
          (see http://villazeebries.krbonne.net/hamstuff/ and https://github.com/on1arf/gmsk/wiki/Installation-procedure-for-the-c2gmsk-modem-on-raspberry-pi)

          But I am very interested in a hardware solution for the modem, especially as it seams to be released as open source.

          I will surely contact Jim for this.

          Thanks for the link.

          73
          Ted
          W6SAT

          73
          kristoff - ON1ARF
        • Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 22, 2013
            Hello Chris,

            Take a look at this and you may also my be interested in this Yahoo group too.

            Mick

            --
            Untitled Document

            Be sure to check out all the latest at our web site and look at our repeater sites!

          • Heikki Hannikainen
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 22, 2013
              On Mon, 22 Apr 2013, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

              > I have a project for a gmsk modem for codec2 (c2gmsk) which can run on a raspberry pi but using USB audio-dongles.
              > (see http://villazeebries.krbonne.net/hamstuff/ and
              > https://github.com/on1arf/gmsk/wiki/Installation-procedure-for-the-c2gmsk-modem-on-raspberry-pi)

              Speaking of GMSK, the g4klx D-Star software packages contain GMSK DSP
              modems too, and they're GPL'd. The gnuais project contains a GMSK
              demodulator for AIS (https://github.com/rubund/gnuais), I recently
              optimized it a bit to make it run much faster on the RPi (well, consume
              less CPU anyway).

              If someone had lots of spare time, it might be a good exercise to compare
              the performance of these modems, maybe some of them could be improved
              based on the others.

              - Hessu
            • Kristoff Bonne
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
                Hi Heikki,

                On 23-04-13 06:49, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:

                On Mon, 22 Apr 2013, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

                > I have a project for a gmsk modem for codec2 (c2gmsk) which can run on a raspberry pi but using USB audio-dongles.
                > (see http://villazeebries.krbonne.net/hamstuff/ and
                > https://github.com/on1arf/gmsk/wiki/Installation-procedure-for-the-c2gmsk-modem-on-raspberry-pi)

                Speaking of GMSK, the g4klx D-Star software packages contain GMSK DSP
                modems too, and they're GPL'd.

                Well, it shouldn't be that much different from my code as ... it's actually the same code (only converted from C++ to C).

                The c2gmsk project started out as a small personal project as I was interested to known "what is exactly inside all these famous D-STAR GMSK modems". As Jonathan's code was the only that was publically available I started out with that.

                After a while, the project resulted in the "what is really inside a D-STAR stream" webpage which is now part of the "D-STAR, DV and GMSK" talk I give from time to time.

                (BTW. If people would be in Belgium on the 4th of may. I will be giving that talk again on the anual congress of the UBA (the Belgian national radio organisation). I have not yet descided it I will do it in dutch or english).

                Later on, the project moved from D-STAR (to much polities, to little technology) to codec2 (much more fun).

                The gnuais project contains a GMSK
                demodulator for AIS (https://github.com/rubund/gnuais), I recently
                optimized it a bit to make it run much faster on the RPi (well, consume
                less CPU anyway).

                Well, if you have some inner knowledge on GMSK, I did try out a 2400 bps version of the GMSK modem for c2gmsk modem, but it has never been well tested.

                If someone had lots of spare time, it might be a good exercise to compare
                the performance of these modems, maybe some of them could be improved
                based on the others.

                Hmm. Spare time ... hmmmmm! That would be nice! Where can I buy that:-)

                - Hessu

                73
                Kristoff - ON1ARF

              • Heikki Hannikainen
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
                  On Tue, 23 Apr 2013, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

                  > On 23-04-13 06:49, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:
                  >
                  > Speaking of GMSK, the g4klx D-Star software packages contain GMSK DSP
                  > modems too, and they're GPL'd.
                  >
                  > Well, it shouldn't be that much different from my code as ... it's actually the same code (only converted from C++ to C).

                  Ah ok. And Jonathan said his demodulator is based on Tomi's demodulator in
                  gnuais. So, all from the same tree, more or less. :)

                  > Later on, the project moved from D-STAR (to much polities, to little technology) to codec2 (much more fun).

                  Good good, I think we'll be having fun with your code over here in the
                  near future! Less politics, more code is good.

                  > Hmm. Spare time ... hmmmmm! That would be nice! Where can I buy that:-)

                  Some employers actually sell that (mine does, luckily), they deduce the
                  price directly from your salary, calling it "unpaid vacation".

                  - Hessu
                • Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
                    Oops, sorry was sending this to someone in private and forgot to change the address.

                    Mick - W7CAT