yet another try this time

  • Kerry McKenzie
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
      Greetings all
      this may be slightly off topic however I decided to leave fbb alone for
      a bit and try something designed for the pi. A friend of mine has a nice
      little cloud server running and I decided since i can get nothing
      working on linux i would have a go at that as it seemed simple enough
      and is already compiled ready for the pi
      .
      So with a fresh install i tried from the command prompt sudo get-install
      owncloud and off it went
      So far so good and it all appeared with my very limited knowledge of
      linux to be installing ok.
      finally it stopped and from reading the docks i had to configure it via
      a web interface....no problem
      So I fired up one of the browsers from within the pi and typed in the ip
      address 192.168.0.9/owncloud
      And up it came to say that yes it worked......you beauty so far first
      thing in 2 months that i have actually
      got to the point where it is telling me that something i have done has
      actually worked.
      Ok reboot and go back into the browser and begin the configuration.
      made a admin account ...all ok next it asked for an sql loggin

      Ok this is where it all goes pear shaped as i don't have one,.. nor have
      i set one up so how can i log into something
      that to my knowledge does not exist.
      I have reinstalled this for most of the afternoon and cannot get past
      this point and can get no help from the docs or at least cannot find any
      help on installing sql onto the PI.

      If anyone has installed this software onto the pi and has it working i
      would like very much to find out how i go about setting up sql on the pi?

      As this owncloud software would be very usefull to me and other ham friends.

      And it would be nice to be able to say that in two months I have finally
      got something to work single handed with this PI
      as my track record is totally abysmal.

      --
      Kind Regards
      Kerry McKenzie

      PO Box 4492
      Kirwan QLD 4817
      Australia
    • Ray Wells
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
        Kerry,

        A number of people on this list have tried to help you, myself included on a number of occasions, but you continually fail to provide the information requested so that they may help you. You completely ignored my last posting.

        Many users have kernel ax25 working on the RPi (it's quite easy) and a lesser number have xfbb working on the RPi. Despite what you say below about "something designed for the Pi",  fbb, along with many other applications will work fine on the RPi provided the correct steps are taken. None of those applications are "designed" for the Pi, they are all Linux applications that require some dedication to the Linux o/s to make them work.

        You continually complain about Linux yet you continually won't, or can't provide the information requested of you so that we can help you achieve your objective.

        Now you head off at a tangent and again you run into problems. Do you really expect us to try to help you when you won't help yourself by providing the information so often requested?

        For the sake of all of us here, please go back to Windoze.

        Ray vk2tv

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
          Ray I did cover exactly what i got back, and i cannot give you anymore
          detail........?

          --
          Kind Regards
          Kerry McKenzie

          PO Box 4492
          Kirwan QLD 4817
          Australia
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
            Hi Kerry

            Apparently this 'cloud' program needs SQL to run and apparently you don't have it installed. SQL is
            Structured Query Language, used for database operation.

            If you friend has all this working why arn't you asking him what was required to get it working?
            Apparently he or someone else has already done the work/research to get it working, why should we
            all have to do the work again for you?

            in this case you need to install an sql database and configure it. Now I know there is at least one
            that runs on the Pi as I have it running on mine and the process is most likely documented on my
            website so if you really want to know how to do it check my website. I have no experience with this
            cloud server program, can't help ya there.

            -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
                My advice (for what it's worth) is forget owncloud - with the proviso I've never tried it.

                Check-out websites like 'Penguin Tutor'  which has tutorial for Creating a LAMP server (web server – Linux Apache Mysql PHP) with the Raspberry Pi which tell you what to do and why, plus several other turorials & guides for both the RPi & Linux.

                You don't need to install a desktop client (which owncloud uses?) and can access with a browser. Any application that requires an SQL database is available, e.g. cqrlog.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
                  pmooney22 wrote:

                  My advice (for what it's worth) is forget owncloud - with the proviso I've never tried it.

                  Check-out websites like 'Penguin Tutor'  which has tutorial for Creating a LAMP server (web server – Linux Apache Mysql PHP) with the Raspberry Pi which tell you what to do and why, plus several other turorials & guides for both the RPi & Linux.

                  You don't need to install a desktop client (which owncloud uses?) and can access with a browser. Any application that requires an SQL database is available, e.g. cqrlog.

                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Hays" wrote:

                  > http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/admin_manual/configuration/configuration_database.html
                  >
                  > On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 3:21 AM, Kerry McKenzie kermck@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > Greetings all
                  > > this may be slightly off topic however I decided to leave fbb alone for
                  > > a bit and try something designed for the pi. A friend of mine has a nice
                  > > little cloud server running and I decided since i can get nothing
                  > > working on linux i would have a go at that as it seemed simple enough
                  > > and is already compiled ready for the pi
                  > > .
                  > > So with a fresh install i tried from the command prompt sudo get-install
                  > > owncloud and off it went
                  > > So far so good and it all appeared with my very limited knowledge of
                  > > linux to be installing ok.
                  > > finally it stopped and from reading the docks i had to configure it via
                  > > a web interface....no problem
                  > > So I fired up one of the browsers from within the pi and typed in the ip
                  > > address 192.168.0.9/owncloud
                  > > And up it came to say that yes it worked......you beauty so far first
                  > > thing in 2 months that i have actually
                  > > got to the point where it is telling me that something i have done has
                  > > actually worked.
                  > > Ok reboot and go back into the browser and begin the configuration.
                  > > made a admin account ...all ok next it asked for an sql loggin
                  > >
                  > > Ok this is where it all goes pear shaped as i don't have one,.. nor have
                  > > i set one up so how can i log into something
                  > > that to my knowledge does not exist.

                  Sincere thanks this is just great with plenty of help and i will be onto this as soon as time permitts...thankyou for youre efforts this is something that i can really use
                  Kerry
                  PS and it is suitable for a complete beginner like me!

                  --
                  Kind Regards
                  Kerry McKenzie

                  PO Box 4492