APRS and TNC-X

  • m1k3ujy
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2013
      Noticed the TNC-X daughter board for the PI post - has anyone tried to use the TNC-X (with built in USB)? this is hardware I already have. as soon as my PI arrives that will be my first task. Argent Data Systems has a TNC with a USB interface as well. (Open Tracker USB) probably would work with it too. Looking forward to getting my PI! Other hardware considerations are USB sound cards (Signalink USB) etc.. Field day is just around the corner my current CPU solution is an old Samsung Q1 but it requires 18 volts DC to recharge - not necessarily available on our solar powered site except with an Inverter. The PI would be a very low power solution with the exception of a small monitor.
    • Adam Kennedy
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2013
        I have a USB version of the TNC-X that is active on my W0FZY-1 digipeater. I absolutely love it. It is the best TNC I've used for APRS and I've recently ordered and received a TNC-Pi board. I have plans to put the TNC-Pi into production as another APRS digipeater shortly.

        April 20, 2013 10:58 AM
        Noticed the TNC-X daughter board for the PI post - has anyone tried to use the TNC-X (with built in USB)? this is hardware I already have. as soon as my PI arrives that will be my first task. Argent Data Systems has a TNC with a USB interface as well. (Open Tracker USB) probably would work with it too. Looking forward to getting my PI! Other hardware considerations are USB sound cards (Signalink USB) etc.. Field day is just around the corner my current CPU solution is an old Samsung Q1 but it requires 18 volts DC to recharge - not necessarily available on our solar powered site except with an Inverter. The PI would be a very low power solution with the exception of a small monitor.

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO-digest@yahoogroups.com
        Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Adam "Fuzzy" Kennedy
        W0FZY
      Message 3 of 4 , Apr 22, 2013

        If you loved the TNC-X on the RPi you will go absolutely bananas with the TNC-PI! It fits snuggly on top of the RPi to get its signals and power. If I was to remake my RMS Gate again I would consider NOT installing the DSub 9 on the board. I’d take the Gnd/Tx/Rx off the GPIO to a separate DSub 9 mounted in the case wall. It make things easier mechanically wise.

        Message 4 of 4 , Apr 22, 2013
          > If you loved the TNC-X on the RPi you will go absolutely bananas with the
          > TNC-PI! It fits snuggly on top of the RPi to get its signals and power.

          Now if only there was also a Radio board that fit on the stack....

          Bill,
          WA7NWP