Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Linux vs windows

Expand Messages
  • Steinar Aanesland
    I hope this is not a Linux vs windows battleground, if so I am out of here. I care about ham radio, not that kind of religious fanboy fight :( -- LA5VNA
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
      I hope this is not a Linux vs windows battleground, if so I am out of here.

      I care about ham radio, not that kind of religious fanboy fight :(

      --
      LA5VNA Steinar
      loc:JO59jq
    • MattB
      It s hard to see how anyone who s read the threads would think that this was the case. Still, you can often find conflict if you re looking for it.
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
        It's hard to see how anyone who's read the threads would think that this was the case. Still, you can often find conflict if you're looking for it.

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Steinar Aanesland <saanes@...> wrote:
        >
        > I hope this is not a Linux vs windows battleground, if so I am out of here.
        >
        > I care about ham radio, not that kind of religious fanboy fight :(
        >
        > --
        > LA5VNA Steinar
        > loc:JO59jq
        >
      • John D. Hays
        Amen -- I think almost every response has been informational, rather than confrontational. Frustration for some, yes, but not much in the way of bashing
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
          Amen -- I think almost every response has been informational, rather than confrontational.

          Frustration for some, yes, but not much in the way of bashing (except the comment against venerable old 'vi' -- btw, I had a similar reaction 30 years ago, but learned vi as it was the common denominator, and I still find myself using modal commands, e.g. <escape key>/foo to find the character pattern 'foo', in other programs -- doh!)



          John D. Hays
          K7VE
          PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
            




          On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM, MattB <mbrauer@...> wrote:
           

          It's hard to see how anyone who's read the threads would think that this was the case. Still, you can often find conflict if you're looking for it.

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Steinar Aanesland <saanes@...> wrote:
          >
          > I hope this is not a Linux vs windows battleground, if so I am out of here.
          >
          > I care about ham radio, not that kind of religious fanboy fight :(
          >
          > --
          > LA5VNA Steinar
          > loc:JO59jq

        • Stephen
          Steiner, I quite agree... It s time that we got back to real purpose of this group. Which is about using the Pi in Ham Radio. Not the pros and con s of Linux.
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
            Steiner,

            I quite agree...

            It's time that we got back to real purpose of this group. Which is about using the Pi in Ham Radio. Not the pros and con's of Linux. There are plenty of other groups to discuss this in.

            73s Steve G0XAR
            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Steinar Aanesland <saanes@...> wrote:
            >
            > I hope this is not a Linux vs windows battleground, if so I am out of here.
            >
            > I care about ham radio, not that kind of religious fanboy fight :(
            >
            > --
            > LA5VNA Steinar
            > loc:JO59jq
            >
          • Robert Nickels
            ... I agree. Since the R-Pi doesn t run Windows, it s off-topic. With over 500,000 Pis sold, there ought to be plenty to talk about. 73, Bob W9RAN
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
              On 4/19/2013 1:42 PM, Stephen wrote:
              > It's time that we got back to real purpose of this group. Which is
              > about using the Pi in Ham Radio. Not the pros and con's of Linux.
              > There are plenty of other groups to discuss this in.
              I agree. Since the R-Pi doesn't run Windows, it's off-topic. With over
              500,000 Pis sold, there ought to be plenty to talk about.

              73, Bob W9RAN
            • Ray Wells
              Steinar, I think that it s only reasonable to expect some comparison between Windows and Linux in an environment where so many individuals, accustomed to using
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
                Steinar,

                I think that it's only reasonable to expect some comparison between Windows and Linux in an environment where so many individuals, accustomed to using Windows, find themselves confronted by the steep learning curve of Linux but, as good as Windows may seem to Windows users and no matter how good Linux may seem to Linux users, there is NO universally "best" operating system. The best one is the one that works for you, the one that does what you want it to do and in a manner that suits you.

                My preference is for Linux and most of the time it is the best (for me). However, when I want to use Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition) I must resort to Windows and then, Windows is the best.

                I agree with Steinar, we don't need a battleground. That won't do a single thing to help ease newbies into the Linux world they approached when they bought a RPi.


                Ray vk2tv




                On 19/04/13 22:37, Steinar Aanesland wrote:
                 

                I hope this is not a Linux vs windows battleground, if so I am out of here.

                I care about ham radio, not that kind of religious fanboy fight :(

                --
                LA5VNA Steinar
                loc:JO59jq


              • John Ferrell
                Sorry to have bothered you guys with my rookie questions. You have been a great help. I will look for another group for Linux advice. ... -- John Ferrell W8CCW
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
                  Sorry to have bothered you guys with my rookie questions. You have been a great help. I will look for another group for Linux advice.
                  On 4/19/2013 2:42 PM, Stephen wrote:
                   


                  Steiner,

                  I quite agree...

                  It's time that we got back to real purpose of this group. Which is about using the Pi in Ham Radio. Not the pros and con's of Linux. There are plenty of other groups to discuss this in.

                  73s Steve G0XAR
                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Steinar Aanesland <saanes@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I hope this is not a Linux vs windows battleground, if so I am out of here.
                  >
                  > I care about ham radio, not that kind of religious fanboy fight :(
                  >
                  > --
                  > LA5VNA Steinar
                  > loc:JO59jq
                  >


                  -- 
                  John Ferrell W8CCW
                  That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
                  P.C. HODGELL
                    
                • Stephen
                  Hi John, ... From my point of view I really encourage to people to ask rookie questions here. So please keep asking them!!! And I am sure people here will
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 20, 2013
                    Hi John,


                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, John Ferrell <jferrell13@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Sorry to have bothered you guys with my rookie questions. You have been
                    > a great help. I will look for another group for Linux advice.
                    > On 4/19/2013 2:42 PM, Stephen wrote:

                    From my point of view I really encourage to people to ask rookie questions here. So please keep asking them!!! And I am sure people here will help.

                    What we don't want to happen is for the group to descend into a "Linux good, Windows bad" or "Windows good, Linux bad" war which has happened in so many other news groups and eventually destroyed them, or they have become pointless, verbal grudge matches between people who need to get out more. Or study for their ham licence!

                    From a personal point of view I am not that fond of Linux but it is what the Pi uses. So we have to learn to live with it, develop projects and help our friends along the way....

                    73s Steve G0XAR
                  • John Ferrell
                    W8CCW is clear of this topic. If you must reply please do so privately. I can always be reached at call at arrl.net. I am here for ham radio and linux mutual
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 20, 2013
                      W8CCW is clear of this topic. If you must reply please do so privately.
                      I can always be reached at call at arrl.net.
                      I am here for ham radio and linux mutual advancement.

                      On 4/20/2013 3:48 AM, Stephen wrote:
                       


                      Hi John,

                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, John Ferrell <jferrell13@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Sorry to have bothered you guys with my rookie questions. You have been
                      > a great help. I will look for another group for Linux advice.
                      > On 4/19/2013 2:42 PM, Stephen wrote:

                      >From my point of view I really encourage to people to ask rookie questions here. So please keep asking them!!! And I am sure people here will help.

                      What we don't want to happen is for the group to descend into a "Linux good, Windows bad" or "Windows good, Linux bad" war which has happened in so many other news groups and eventually destroyed them, or they have become pointless, verbal grudge matches between people who need to get out more. Or study for their ham licence!

                      >From a personal point of view I am not that fond of Linux but it is what the Pi uses. So we have to learn to live with it, develop projects and help our friends along the way....

                      73s Steve G0XAR


                      -- 
                      John Ferrell W8CCW
                      That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
                      P.C. HODGELL
                        
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.