Wsprry Pi question

  • Robert Nickels
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2013
      An open question for WSPR users:

      If you had a dedicated WSPR beacon transmitter, how many bands should it
      be able to cover automatically? If more than one, should separate
      antenna connections be provided for each band, or should all bands be
      available at a single RF output?

      Thanks and 73,
      Bob W9RAN
    • Stephen
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2013
        Hi Bob,

        Having sold many wspr beacon kits when i was working with G0UPL I know a little about the subject. I would argue that as many bands as possible with one RF output is not possible. The dependencies are :-

        What you are using to generate the output frequency(s). The RPi as it stands seems to be able to generate from 0-250 MHz. Were one to choose a separate RF generator such as an Si570 you could easily go all the way from 3.5 to 1.2 GHz. And lower with some frequency division.

        What sort of PA you wish to use. You probably won't find a single design to cover all the frequencies of interest, probably one for VLF, one for HF, one for VHF and one for Microwave.

        Each PA will require low pass filters to reduce harmonic emissions to within the legal limit specified by ones licensing authority.

        If you just want the 1.8-30 MHz bands I think 1 PA will be OK with a set of switched band pass filters and one connector would be OK. In fact Guido and I are working on something like this at the moment.

        73s Steve G0XAR

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Robert Nickels <w9ran@...> wrote:

        > An open question for WSPR users:
        >
        > If you had a dedicated WSPR beacon transmitter, how many bands should it
        > be able to cover automatically? If more than one, should separate
        > antenna connections be provided for each band, or should all bands be
        > available at a single RF output?
        >
        > Thanks and 73,
        > Bob W9RAN

      • gd6icr
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2013
          My Idea for beacons/wspr would be to generate at 28Mhz a signal I can then mix for 472khz/50/70/144/432/1296mhz using transverters - As I have one for each of the bands. Why not have a timed switch using the digital pins on the Pi to change band on a regular basis at a certain minute past the hour - still looking for a diagram to hook up the Pi as a frequency generator and good enough filters for 472khz and 28Mhz

          Thanks all.

          --
          Regards
          Mike