TNC-PI & Xastir... Things I didn't realize or Forgot to check

  • iamdadof3
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2013
      More of a note than a question I'm posting.

      I just finished building my TNC-pi and while the voltage test in the instructions came out correct, I still couldn't receive/transmit data via the PI. I re-checked all solder joints, etc just to make sure and no luck.

      I went back again and realized that I needed to put the Jumpers in on JP3 & JP4. I didn't think that I was connecting up "using the serial port" as the TNC was connected to the PI via GPIO's. OOPS, that means YES you are using the serial connection. I then performed the instructions on editing the /boot/cmdline.txt and /etc/inittab respectively.

      I now had the receive light on, i.e. blinking when I received packets, but still no data was coming across the screen and transmit still wasn't working.

      I went to switch to utilize AX.25 tools and immediately noticed in those instructions the serial baud MUST BE SET TO 19200. OOPS again. I switched back to Xastir and changed the port from 9600 to 19200 and LIFE IS GOOD.

      Hopefully this my help others and save some troubleshooting and pain.

      -73's
      Steve
    • Ronny Julian