Skip to search.

Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Another alternaive to linix?

  • Mathison Ott
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 6, 2013
      A good Google search solve most of my Linux hang up, and if that docent work refine your search.

      nixcraft is a lot of help and they come up in Google searches all the time.

      73
      Mathison kj6dzb

      On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM, k_mckenzie <k_mckenzie@...> wrote:

      seems to me that the whole purpose of Pi is to be a reasonably priced learning tool.
      Linux isn't the easiest which I can well understand since we have all been dumbed down by iPads(iOSs) and WinDoze.
      perhaps a good tutorial for Linux might be of help.
      Just my 2 cents worth ...

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

      > Why not just give Kerry an SD card with a working version of ax25 and whatever else he needs. Then he can just plug it in and fire up his system I'm sure he would pay the modest cost of the SD card to get a working setup!
      >
      > Rick

    • Kerry McKenzie
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
        Greetings all
        bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
        I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
        time" with linux.
        The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
        does and they are standard dos.
        I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
        alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
        cant wait.
        check out the link below

        http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html

        --
        Kind Regards
        Kerry McKenzie

        PO Box 4492
        Kirwan QLD 4817
        Australia
      • Andy Pevy

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
            Hi Kerry,

            I don't know if you use an Apple Mac but if you do a knowledge of Linux can come in handy. I managed to recover an unusable Mac yesterday to full working order with 4 command lines which I learned from using Linux.

            There is a complete listing of alternative operating systems here :-

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

            I also know that some really old school operating systems are available for it, including George 3 (an operating system for ICL1900 computers), and I believe various DEC operating systems may well have been ported.

            73s Steve G0XAR

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kerry McKenzie <kermck@...> wrote:

            > Greetings all
            > bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
            > I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
            > time" with linux.
            > The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
            > does and they are standard dos.
            > I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
            > alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
            > cant wait.
            > check out the link below
            >
            > http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html
            >
            > --
            > Kind Regards
            > Kerry McKenzie
            >
            > PO Box 4492
            > Kirwan QLD 4817
            > Australia

          • JJ
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
              On 13-04-14 08:03 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:

              Greetings all
              bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
              I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
              time" with linux.
              The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
              does and they are standard dos.
              I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
              alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
              cant wait.
              check out the link below

              http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html

              --
              Kind Regards
              Kerry McKenzie

              PO Box 4492
              Kirwan QLD 4817
              Australia

              linUx is user friendly, it's just picky about it's friends, hi hi!

            • Richard Bown
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:13:02 +0100
                Andy Pevy <andypevy@...> wrote:

                > Goodness gracious no, back to the dark ages.....
                That makes Darwins theory of evolution questionable !

                > On 14 April 2013 12:03, Kerry McKenzie <kermck@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Greetings all
                > > bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
                > > I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
                > > time" with linux.
                > > The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
                > > does and they are standard dos.
                > > I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
                > > alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
                > > cant wait.
                > > check out the link below
                > >
                > > http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html
                > >
                > > --
                > > Kind Regards
                > > Kerry McKenzie
                > >
                > > PO Box 4492
                > > Kirwan QLD 4817
                > > Australia

                Best wishes / 73
                Richard Bown

                Email : richard@...
                HTTP :http://www.g8jvm.info
                nil carborundum a illegitemis
                ##################################################################################
                Ham Call G8JVM . OS Fedora FC18 x86_64 on a Dell Insiron N5030 laptop
                Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W ( degs+mins )
                QRV VHF 6mtrs 200W, 4 mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 350W, 70cms 200W
                Microwave 23 cms 140W, 13 cms 100W, 6 cms 0W & 3cms 5W
                ##################################################################################
                Please do not use the e-mail address of richard@...
                Mail hosted by 1and1, Domain screwed up by 1and1 and Freeparking
              • Ray Cadmus
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                   I understand some of the frustration that the new Linux users are facing.  I've been using Linux since the mid 90's and still find a need to look up how to do some things.  The old mind just doesn't remember well any more :-(

                  Anyway...  Here is a link to a command conversion chart - UNIX (Linux) for Dos users.

                  http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/unix_for_dos_users.html

                  Hope this helps,

                  ray    W0PFO

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                    That link appears to be for a DOS emulator to run on the Pi, not an operating system. Looks like he
                    is aimed at running old dos games on the Pi running his emulator in Xwindows. So don't expect to be
                    booting/running DOS on the Pi based on that.

                    I agree linux is cryptic,obtuse,unfriendly,frustrating, etc... DOS/Windows was also but definitely
                    has an advantage in that many of the command & program names make sense. If we grew-up learning
                    linux instead of dos/windows then dos/windows would be foreign to us.

                    -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

                    On 4/14/13 7:03 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:
                    > Greetings all
                    > bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
                    > I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
                    > time" with linux.
                    > The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
                    > does and they are standard dos.
                    > I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
                    > alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
                    > cant wait.
                    > check out the link below
                    >
                    > http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html

                  • jerome schatten
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                      “What one fool can do, another can.”
                      - Ancient Simian Proverb.

                      Try harder -- you can't move forward looking through the rear view mirror.
                      73'
                      jerome

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                        Thank you!

                        On 4/14/2013 10:23 AM, Ray Cadmus wrote:

                         I understand some of the frustration that the new Linux users are facing.  I've been using Linux since the mid 90's and still find a need to look up how to do some things.  The old mind just doesn't remember well any more :-(

                        Anyway...  Here is a link to a command conversion chart - UNIX (Linux) for Dos users.

                        http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/unix_for_dos_users.html

                        Hope this helps,

                        ray    W0PFO

                        --
                        John Ferrell W8CCW
                        That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.