Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Powering the Raspberry & TNC.

  • Ian Bennett
    Message 1 of 53 , Apr 5, 2013
      Hi Ray,
      I think I have the same type and managed about 2A (ish) output at 5V
      with very respectable ripple (read: hardly noticeable on the cro). I was
      a little disappointed seeing the output at 4.85V but was withing spec.
      I have been bitten a few times because I didn't read the data sheet
      correctly, so I read the thing many many times whilst waiting for mine
      to arrive.
      The one thing (ok, there was two) that stuck in my mind was the use of
      low leakage electros and the low loss "tracks" required )shown in bold
      in the recommended circuit).
      I built mine on vero board and the the low loss connections were
      constructed using additional tinned copper wire following the copper and
      a heap of solder to fill the gaps. If nothing else, it won't blow away
      in the wind ;-)
      My coil came out of a few trashed UPS'. I was ratting them for the
      toroids but luckily I kept a few intact.

      Message 53 of 53 , Apr 14, 2013

        Most computer mother boards have switch mode regulators on the board to make all the various
        voltages needed for the processor(s), memory, north & south bridges, and various other hardware.
        Gamer & enthusiasts boards often tout how many regulators/phases they have.

        As for radiation, most of the noise is from the leads & tracks on the board of chips themselves,
        especially when they are unshielded. A 5, 3.3, or even 1.8 volt signal toggling on-off at a high
        rate can radiate quite a bit, with 32 or 64 bits wide all toggling at such high clock rates it will
        radiate a lot of hash.... Computers tend to generate & radiate a lot of hash that's one reason the
        better made ones have metal cases and metal shielding in key areas. The minor amount of noise/ripple
        out of the supply is miniscule compared to the hash from the computer it-self. If a supply is truly
        that noisy the noise/spikes on the power would be mistaken for data and foul up the processing.

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B