Re: Another alternaive to linix?

  • k_mckenzie
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 4, 2013
      seems to me that the whole purpose of Pi is to be a reasonably priced learning tool.
      Linux isn't the easiest which I can well understand since we have all been dumbed down by iPads(iOSs) and WinDoze.
      perhaps a good tutorial for Linux might be of help.
      Just my 2 cents worth ...

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

      > Why not just give Kerry an SD card with a working version of ax25 and whatever else he needs. Then he can just plug it in and fire up his system I'm sure he would pay the modest cost of the SD card to get a working setup!
      >
      > Rick

    • Dave Cochran
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 5, 2013

        I guess it really depends on just what you need as a tutorial.  Linux in general is by and large the most well documented OS of all time.

        Can you be more specific here?  I've been using Linux since the early/mid 90's both personally and professionally so I might be able to help a bit if there is something specific needed.

        Dave
        N0TRQ

        > seems to me that the whole purpose of Pi is to be a reasonably priced learning tool.
        > Linux isn't the easiest which I can well understand since we have all been dumbed down by iPads(iOSs) and WinDoze.
        > perhaps a good tutorial for Linux might be of help.
        > Just my 2 cents worth ...

      • Mathison Ott
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 6, 2013
          A good Google search solve most of my Linux hang up, and if that docent work refine your search.

          nixcraft is a lot of help and they come up in Google searches all the time.

          73
          Mathison kj6dzb

          On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM, k_mckenzie <k_mckenzie@...> wrote:

          seems to me that the whole purpose of Pi is to be a reasonably priced learning tool.
          Linux isn't the easiest which I can well understand since we have all been dumbed down by iPads(iOSs) and WinDoze.
          perhaps a good tutorial for Linux might be of help.
          Just my 2 cents worth ...

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

          > Why not just give Kerry an SD card with a working version of ax25 and whatever else he needs. Then he can just plug it in and fire up his system I'm sure he would pay the modest cost of the SD card to get a working setup!
          >
          > Rick

        • Kerry McKenzie
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
            Greetings all
            bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
            I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
            time" with linux.
            The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
            does and they are standard dos.
            I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
            alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
            cant wait.
            check out the link below

            http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html

            --
            Kind Regards
            Kerry McKenzie

            PO Box 4492
            Kirwan QLD 4817
            Australia
          • Andy Pevy

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                Hi Kerry,

                I don't know if you use an Apple Mac but if you do a knowledge of Linux can come in handy. I managed to recover an unusable Mac yesterday to full working order with 4 command lines which I learned from using Linux.

                There is a complete listing of alternative operating systems here :-

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

                I also know that some really old school operating systems are available for it, including George 3 (an operating system for ICL1900 computers), and I believe various DEC operating systems may well have been ported.

                73s Steve G0XAR

                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kerry McKenzie <kermck@...> wrote:

                > Greetings all
                > bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
                > I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
                > time" with linux.
                > The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
                > does and they are standard dos.
                > I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
                > alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
                > cant wait.
                > check out the link below
                >
                > http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html
                >
                > --
                > Kind Regards
                > Kerry McKenzie
                >
                > PO Box 4492
                > Kirwan QLD 4817
                > Australia

              • JJ
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                  On 13-04-14 08:03 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:

                  Greetings all
                  bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
                  I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
                  time" with linux.
                  The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
                  does and they are standard dos.
                  I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
                  alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
                  cant wait.
                  check out the link below

                  http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html

                  --
                  Kind Regards
                  Kerry McKenzie

                  PO Box 4492
                  Kirwan QLD 4817
                  Australia

                  linUx is user friendly, it's just picky about it's friends, hi hi!

                • Richard Bown
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                    On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:13:02 +0100
                    Andy Pevy <andypevy@...> wrote:

                    > Goodness gracious no, back to the dark ages.....
                    That makes Darwins theory of evolution questionable !

                    > On 14 April 2013 12:03, Kerry McKenzie <kermck@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Greetings all
                    > > bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
                    > > I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
                    > > time" with linux.
                    > > The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
                    > > does and they are standard dos.
                    > > I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
                    > > alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
                    > > cant wait.
                    > > check out the link below
                    > >
                    > > http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Kind Regards
                    > > Kerry McKenzie
                    > >
                    > > PO Box 4492
                    > > Kirwan QLD 4817
                    > > Australia

                    Best wishes / 73
                    Richard Bown

                    Email : richard@...
                    HTTP :http://www.g8jvm.info
                    nil carborundum a illegitemis
                    ##################################################################################
                    Ham Call G8JVM . OS Fedora FC18 x86_64 on a Dell Insiron N5030 laptop
                    Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W ( degs+mins )
                    QRV VHF 6mtrs 200W, 4 mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 350W, 70cms 200W
                    Microwave 23 cms 140W, 13 cms 100W, 6 cms 0W & 3cms 5W
                    ##################################################################################
                    Please do not use the e-mail address of richard@...
                    Mail hosted by 1and1, Domain screwed up by 1and1 and Freeparking
                  • Ray Cadmus
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                       I understand some of the frustration that the new Linux users are facing.  I've been using Linux since the mid 90's and still find a need to look up how to do some things.  The old mind just doesn't remember well any more :-(

                      Anyway...  Here is a link to a command conversion chart - UNIX (Linux) for Dos users.

                      http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/unix_for_dos_users.html

                      Hope this helps,

                      ray    W0PFO

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                        That link appears to be for a DOS emulator to run on the Pi, not an operating system. Looks like he
                        is aimed at running old dos games on the Pi running his emulator in Xwindows. So don't expect to be
                        booting/running DOS on the Pi based on that.

                        I agree linux is cryptic,obtuse,unfriendly,frustrating, etc... DOS/Windows was also but definitely
                        has an advantage in that many of the command & program names make sense. If we grew-up learning
                        linux instead of dos/windows then dos/windows would be foreign to us.

                        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

                        On 4/14/13 7:03 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:
                        > Greetings all
                        > bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
                        > I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
                        > time" with linux.
                        > The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
                        > does and they are standard dos.
                        > I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
                        > alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
                        > cant wait.
                        > check out the link below
                        >
                        > http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html

                      • jerome schatten
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                          “What one fool can do, another can.”
                          - Ancient Simian Proverb.

                          Try harder -- you can't move forward looking through the rear view mirror.
                          73'
                          jerome

                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                            Thank you!

                            On 4/14/2013 10:23 AM, Ray Cadmus wrote:

                             I understand some of the frustration that the new Linux users are facing.  I've been using Linux since the mid 90's and still find a need to look up how to do some things.  The old mind just doesn't remember well any more :-(

                            Anyway...  Here is a link to a command conversion chart - UNIX (Linux) for Dos users.

                            http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/unix_for_dos_users.html

                            Hope this helps,

                            ray    W0PFO

                            --
                            John Ferrell W8CCW
                            That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.