RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Light Pipes (was: Re: Powering the Raspberry & TNC)

  • Roger Elmore
    Message 1 of 53 , Apr 4, 2013
      That seems to be the concept of the LC-2.0, but it has a 1mm fiber rather than a MM's 62.5um so it's 16 times the diameter for more light output. And since the panel side already has a lens, at less than a dollar each it would be worth not having to take a Dremel cutting wheel to the ends of LEDs to glue them to the fiber. I bit the bullet and have 15 LC-2.0 Bivar's on the way, it won't be the first time I've put something in the spare parts box that didn't work out.

      But the Bivar's spec sheet doesn't show how the other side is terminated (if at all), so it looks like I may still be measuring, milling and drilling some kind of shroud to hold the ends over the LEDs on the PI. Sure would be nice if someone had something folks could buy off-the shelf...
      --
      Roger KJ4AJP

      Message 53 of 53 , Apr 14, 2013
        F.Y.I.

        Most computer mother boards have switch mode regulators on the board to make all the various
        voltages needed for the processor(s), memory, north & south bridges, and various other hardware.
        Gamer & enthusiasts boards often tout how many regulators/phases they have.

        As for radiation, most of the noise is from the leads & tracks on the board of chips themselves,
        especially when they are unshielded. A 5, 3.3, or even 1.8 volt signal toggling on-off at a high
        rate can radiate quite a bit, with 32 or 64 bits wide all toggling at such high clock rates it will
        radiate a lot of hash.... Computers tend to generate & radiate a lot of hash that's one reason the
        better made ones have metal cases and metal shielding in key areas. The minor amount of noise/ripple
        out of the supply is miniscule compared to the hash from the computer it-self. If a supply is truly
        that noisy the noise/spikes on the power would be mistaken for data and foul up the processing.

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B