Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Powering the Raspberry & TNC.

  • n0gik
    Message 1 of 53 , Apr 4, 2013
      How about some old MM fiber patch cable (no ends) and shave the tops off of
      some panel leds to scatter the light? Not very modular, down and dirty.

      Matt - N0GIK

      Message 53 of 53 , Apr 14, 2013
        F.Y.I.

        Most computer mother boards have switch mode regulators on the board to make all the various
        voltages needed for the processor(s), memory, north & south bridges, and various other hardware.
        Gamer & enthusiasts boards often tout how many regulators/phases they have.

        As for radiation, most of the noise is from the leads & tracks on the board of chips themselves,
        especially when they are unshielded. A 5, 3.3, or even 1.8 volt signal toggling on-off at a high
        rate can radiate quite a bit, with 32 or 64 bits wide all toggling at such high clock rates it will
        radiate a lot of hash.... Computers tend to generate & radiate a lot of hash that's one reason the
        better made ones have metal cases and metal shielding in key areas. The minor amount of noise/ripple
        out of the supply is miniscule compared to the hash from the computer it-self. If a supply is truly
        that noisy the noise/spikes on the power would be mistaken for data and foul up the processing.

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B