RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Powering the Raspberry & TNC.

  • Roger Elmore
    Message 1 of 53 , Apr 4 6:58 AM
      Charles wrote:
      > I am looking at another device to replace the converter because
      > this device is not adjustable and is set for 5 V. I need to
      > increase that to 5.25 to compensate for the drop across the
      > polyfuse.

      I've begun collecting the parts for a pair of PI+TNC-PI combos (for an APRX digi/IGate and a Linux RMS Gateway) in a rack mount case powered from the same Astron RS-50M as the two radios and going to give the $7 LM2596 module (bought from Amazon) a try. 3-40V in and 1.5-35V out at 3A. My plan is to use a separate LM2596 fused at 1A for each PI's input, with a 6A rear panel accessible fuse common to the 13.8V input of each LM2596 and a 80mm fan. Here goes nothing...

      On a different note, has anyone experimented with light pipes to bring the PI's LED status to the front panel of a chassis? I've used the Bivar SLP3-450-100-F on a NHRC Micro repeater controller previously but the LEDs on the PI are too close together for those. I was looking at the flexible Bivar LC-2.0 at the Mouser website and was wondering if those might work. Any input from anyone?
      --
      Roger KJ4AJP
      Message 53 of 53 , Apr 14 11:38 AM
        F.Y.I.

        Most computer mother boards have switch mode regulators on the board to make all the various
        voltages needed for the processor(s), memory, north & south bridges, and various other hardware.
        Gamer & enthusiasts boards often tout how many regulators/phases they have.

        As for radiation, most of the noise is from the leads & tracks on the board of chips themselves,
        especially when they are unshielded. A 5, 3.3, or even 1.8 volt signal toggling on-off at a high
        rate can radiate quite a bit, with 32 or 64 bits wide all toggling at such high clock rates it will
        radiate a lot of hash.... Computers tend to generate & radiate a lot of hash that's one reason the
        better made ones have metal cases and metal shielding in key areas. The minor amount of noise/ripple
        out of the supply is miniscule compared to the hash from the computer it-self. If a supply is truly
        that noisy the noise/spikes on the power would be mistaken for data and foul up the processing.

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B