Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: NEWBIE: FROM SW MIAMI, FL LOOKING FOR MENTOR.

  • Ray Wells
    Message 1 of 86 , Apr 3 2:10 PM
      Juan,

      Can you do uname -a at the command prompt and post what it reports and, post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list.

      Ray vk2tv

      On 03/04/13 21:32, K4LCD wrote:

      Good morning Heikki,

      Among the programs that I have not been able to install is a mail program using raspbian. I am using a separate computer to make these postings and to reply to your Email.

      Until the sudo apt-get install command accesses an upgraded complete sources.list I believe I will continue to get these errors of Error 404 missing files.

      My purposes in purchasing the rasp pi are to learn some Linux and after I am able to fully operate the pi with all the programs available to it, explore the Amateur Radio applications.

      I am big into WSPR MF since I also have FCC experimental license WF2XXQ and have been an SDR user for more than ten years.

      Having said all that, it is evident that Linux is new to me... but the main purpose of this exercise is to learn it at my 75 years of age.

      Sincerely and thanks.

      73

      Juan /K4LCD

      On 04/03/2013 8:43 AM, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:

      Hi,

      How exactly does it "error out"? Which files are missing? I'd suggest you
      to cut an paste the whole set commands and error messages here, so that
      they could be examined. It is quite hard and slow to communicate error
      messages over the phone.

      On Tue, 2 Apr 2013, k4lcd@... wrote:

      > Thank you for your replies.
      >
      > Neither synaptic, mc, or any other program will finish installing since there are files missing.
      >
      > The problem is that when get-apt goes to the depository at Raspian (source.list)? it finds the program, but with one or two missing files and it errors out.
      >
      > I again respectfully request the help, over the telephone, since this needs to be talked through.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Juan /K4LCD
      >
      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "k4lcd@..." <juangranados@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Good morning friends!
      >>
      >> I have NOT been able to install and run any other programs than those in the original install, in spite of my many attempts to understand the apt-get command.
      >>
      >> I would welcome telephone help from anyone knowledgeable, who could walk me over the installation of the audio, video, sound features, a better browser, installing my HP printer and making the rasp pi part of my network.
      >>
      >> I am on MagicJack so my US long distance calls are free and to most overseas landline numbers very inexpensive. Please send me a private Email and I would call you at your convenience.
      >>
      >> Kindest regards and 73
      >>
      >> Juan /K4LCD
      >>

      >> --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "k4lcd@" <juangranados@> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> Hi guys!
      >>>
      >>> The Pi arrived last evening and I had it running in ten minutes.
      >>> OS on $15.00 32GB SDcard from Tiger Direct, HDMI to 32" TV, dongle to 4 USBs and dongle for wireless keyboard and mouse *same I use for Win 7 64 bits machine). Ethernet cable to Netgear Gigabit Switch.
      >>> Downloaded Linux Comamnd Line, thank you guys for the advise.
      >>> No audio or video, yet. need advise..
      >>>
      >>> Little Raspberry Pi is COOL!!!
      >>>
      >>> 73
      >>>
      >>> Juan /K4LCD
      >>> Miami, FL

      - Hessu

      --
      Ofelia y Juan Antonio Granados

      9451 SW 97 Street
      Miami, FL 33176
      Ph. 305 270 8779; Fax. 305 595 1883;
      http://paternalskills.org
      http://destrezaspaternales.org
      http://hispanicremedial.org
      http://escueladehoy.org
      http://lasallemiami.org

  • K4LCD
    Message 86 of 86 , Apr 22 3:01 AM
      Good morning Paul and Greetings from Florida!

      I tried the suggestions in those  "Google Links" and read all the debate, which I suggest you also do. It does NOT work... All those millions of hits means mean that there are NEWBIES like me, from SW Miami trying to get to watch youtube videos on the Pi. Google has NOT been the Linux MENTOR that I have been looking for.
      Are you watching and listening youtube videos on your pi? If you are, why don't you share with us how you are doing it?

      Regards and 73

      Juan /K4LCD

      On 04/22/2013 12:00 AM, pmooney22 wrote:

      I took up the 'google it' challenge.

      For 'sound on the Raspberry Pi' I got nearly 7 million hits, including (for example):
      http://blog.scphillips.com/2013/01/sound-configuration-on-raspberry-pi-with-alsa/

      For 'playing youtube videos on raspberry pi' I got over 9 million hits, including:
      http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8157&start=100
      (install whitey & youtube-dl, then run youtube-dl)

      For 'software defined radio raspberry pi' I get over 100,000 pages, many using the RPi for wspr.

      Hope this helps

      Paul
      5B8BA