Setting up a Packet BBS on Raspberry-Pi

  • Tommaso Ravaglioli
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 18, 2012

      Hello all, I'm new to the group, and I'm planning to build a solar powered Packet public bbs, to be installed in a remote mountain site, and I'm evaluating if building it using a Raspberr-Pi would be a good choice. Do you have some advice? I'm still planning, and wondering what to do, mostly because all I have right now is the site owner authorization..

      Thanks in advance, Tommaso IZ2QYZ

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 18, 2012
        JNOS2 compiles.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 25, 2012
          2012/9/18 John D. Hays <john@...>

          > JNOS2 compiles.

          Thank you John. It compiles on the Raspbian with default libraries?

          Thank you,
          Tommaso
          IZ2QYZ
        • Bill Vodall
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 25, 2012
            Thank you for checking this John...

            But....

            Did you try running the resulting executable? Nothing has to be
            configured and it will create some junk folders in /root. The reason
            to do this is that the problem with compiling JNOS on some of the
            embedded (ARM?) Linux distributions - like Unslung on the NSLU2 - is
            that JNOS uses the setcontext/getcontext scheme and that wasn't
            supported.

            http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/warning-getcontext-is-not-implemented-and-will-always-fail-812574/

            I could compile JNOS on the native NSLU2 environment but it wouldn't run...

            I'm moving my NSLU2's (and pogoplug) to Debian in hope of getting
            around this issue...

            73
            Bill - WA7NWP

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 26, 2012

              Bill (and others)

              Yes, it does run. I’ve just installed it (following instructions at http://www.langelaar.net/projects/jnos2/downloads/linux/ ). As far as I can tell it is running – I can telnet to it, and it appears to be sending packets. I don’t know enough about jnos to test further.

              I’m running the standard PI raspbian disro with latest updates – Kernel 3.2.27+

              73,

              John G8BPQ