Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Windows GUI - one approach

  • Dave B
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 3 9:29 AM
      On 27 Mar 2013 at 21:09, Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Windows GUI - one approach
      > Posted by: "John Wiseman" john.wiseman@... gm8bpq
      > Date: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:20 am ((PDT))
      >
      > Dave,
      >
      > This is what I use for accessing the pi for a Windows machine - others
      > will no doubt have their own preferences.
      >
      > Download MobiXterm from http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/download.html -
      > the free version is fine. This is a combined ssh client (based on
      > putty) and X server. It has a lot more besides, includind a remote
      > desktop client.
      >
      > Run MobiXterm. If you have used putty, any saved sessions will be
      > imported. Click the Session button, then click SSH. Enter the address
      > of your pi and connect
      >
      > Run a program that uses X - for example nedit, my usual source editor
      > (you may need to do sudo apt-get install nedit - I cant remember if it
      > is part of the stadard distro). The program will popup on the Windows
      > machine.
      >
      > Normally this is all that is needed. If you want to access the pi
      > desktop (I find that useful when setting up bluetooth). you can use
      > remote desktop:
      >
      > Install xrdp in the pi - sudo apt-get install xrdp.
      >
      > in MobiXterm click Session then RDP. enter the address of the pi.
      > After a few seconds the pi desktop will appear.
      >
      > 73, John G8BPQ

      Hi again.

      Well, I tried the "personal" version of mobaxterm, it was not a good
      experience. As soon as the program loads, the network on the Windows
      (XP, all up to date) box is disconnected (wired LAN) and the PC becomes
      very unstable and sluggish, while the LAN repeatedly connects,
      disconnects, connects, disconnects etc, before I did anything else.

      A "Three Key Shuffle" eventualy restored control, via Task manager to
      kill mobaxterm.

      So, what did I get wrong? The downloaded zip (V6.2 from the mobaxterm
      site) it has two .exe file's, one the app, the other a "customizer" by
      the name, I gave that a wide bearth after the above experience.

      Neither .exe causes the AV any concern.

      Regards.

      Dave G0WBX.
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 11 12:45 PM
        Web-server is up most of the time, NOT 100%.... The URL is correct.

        If you want to see my repeater dashboard it is: http://n1jmm.no-ip.org:81/ircddbgateway.php

        Only 2 of my web-servers are open to internet

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B