Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: NEWBIE: FROM SW MIAMI, FL LOOKING FOR MENTOR.

  • Richard Bown
    Message 1 of 86 , Apr 3, 2013
      On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 10:32:27 +0000
      K4LCD <k4lcd@...> wrote:

      > Good morning Heikki,
      >
      > Among the programs that I have not been able to install is a mail program using raspbian. I am
      > using a separate computer to make these postings and to reply to your Email.
      >
      > Until the sudo apt-get install command accesses an upgraded complete sources.list I believe I
      > will continue to get these errors of Error 404 missing files.
      >
      > My purposes in purchasing the rasp pi are to learn some Linux and after I am able to fully
      > operate the pi with all the programs available to it, explore the Amateur Radio applications.
      >
      > I am big into WSPR MF since I also have FCC experimental license WF2XXQ and have been an SDR user
      > for more than ten years.
      >
      > Having said all that, it is evident that Linux is new to me... but the main purpose of this
      > exercise is to learn it at my 75 years of age.
      >
      > Sincerely and thanks.
      >
      > 73
      >
      > Juan /K4LCD
      Hi
      you can manually edit the repository list. there as some friendly command line editors,
      I prefer "joe", but the are several to choose from.
      You will no doubt see some using vi, but IMO that is masochism :)
      I can't give to the location of the file containing the repo list as I doun't have debian OS
      running on any of my computers, but look in /etc/ maybe /etc/apt something like that.
      HTH

      Best wishes / 73
      Richard Bown

      Email : richard@...

      nil carborundum a illegitemis
      ##################################################################################
      Ham Call G8JVM . OS Fedora FC18 x86_64 on a Dell Insiron N5030 laptop
      Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W ( degs+mins )
      QRV VHF 6mtrs 200W, 4 mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 350W, 70cms 200W
      Microwave 23 cms 140W, 13 cms 100W, 6 cms 0W & 3cms 5W
      ##################################################################################
      Please do not use the e-mail address of richard@...
      Mail hosted by 1and1, Domain screwed up by 1and1 and Freeparking
    • K4LCD
      Message 86 of 86 , Apr 22, 2013
        Good morning Paul and Greetings from Florida!

        I tried the suggestions in those  "Google Links" and read all the debate, which I suggest you also do. It does NOT work... All those millions of hits means mean that there are NEWBIES like me, from SW Miami trying to get to watch youtube videos on the Pi. Google has NOT been the Linux MENTOR that I have been looking for.
        Are you watching and listening youtube videos on your pi? If you are, why don't you share with us how you are doing it?

        Regards and 73

        Juan /K4LCD

        On 04/22/2013 12:00 AM, pmooney22 wrote:

        I took up the 'google it' challenge.

        For 'sound on the Raspberry Pi' I got nearly 7 million hits, including (for example):
        http://blog.scphillips.com/2013/01/sound-configuration-on-raspberry-pi-with-alsa/

        For 'playing youtube videos on raspberry pi' I got over 9 million hits, including:
        http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8157&start=100
        (install whitey & youtube-dl, then run youtube-dl)

        For 'software defined radio raspberry pi' I get over 100,000 pages, many using the RPi for wspr.

        Hope this helps

        Paul
        5B8BA

        --