WsprryPi for WSPR15

  • g3zjo
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2013
      Hi Group

      Guido I am not sure if you get my PM's. I put a 100mW PA on the Pi and had great success with WSPR15 over a 127Km path on 474Khz which was not possible using WSPR2.
      Now using my 1W PA. For my 10W PA I am working on a different driver.

      There is a problem when using the Command Line to calibrate the oscillator. As the software uses the frequency to set the mode, WSPR15 can only be transmitted out of zone.

      I would like to see the mode selectable in the command line something like.

      e.g.: sudo ./wspr PA/K1JT JO21 10 7040074 0 0 10140174 15 0 0

      73 Eddie G3ZJO
    • Guido
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2013
        Hi Eddie,

        Thank you very much for reporting your results regarding the WSPR-15 mode, and congratulation with your first on 474kHz!
        It is very good that you have tested this out, as I did not have a means to test it myself. So the theory seems to work in practice.

        Yes calibrating via the command line no longer works since I made the mode dependent on the frequency entered. The best is to calibrate the F_XTAL variable in the code. When done it WsprryPi should be exact on frequency on all frequency bands. Did I understand you correctly that there is still a frequency offset when changing bands? Not sure what the cause of this could be, but I need to analyse this, if you can confirm me this.

        Your suggestion of specifying the mode as command line argument, could be a solution. I am also thinking to make the F_XTAL changeable with an environment variable that can be entered in the command-line, e.g.: export FXTAL=19200123  Currently I am experimenting with a command-line program called ./tx that support different modes (wspr, opera, hell, cw), and returns when a single transmission has been done, let me know if you are interested in this.

        73, Guido
        PE1NNZ

        On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM, g3zjo <psk31@...> wrote:
        Hi Group

        Guido I am not sure if you get my PM's. I put a 100mW PA on the Pi and had great success with WSPR15 over a 127Km path on 474Khz which was not possible using WSPR2.
        Now using my 1W PA. For my 10W PA I am working on a different driver.

        There is a problem when using the Command Line to calibrate the oscillator. As the software uses the frequency to set the mode, WSPR15 can only be transmitted out of zone.

        I would like to see the mode selectable in the command line something like.

        e.g.: sudo ./wspr PA/K1JT JO21 10 7040074 0 0 10140174 15 0 0

        73 Eddie G3ZJO

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • psk31
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2013
          Hi Guido

          Thanks for your reply.

          Yes I chose to calibrate via the command line because it is easier and requires no modifications after updates. Also I was not able to see a linear relationship for each band with a rising error toward F_Xtal and then falling again after,  I would need to look at this again as I have not double checked. I must also try calibrating F_Xtal in the code and check the result.
          At present I am doing a major shack tidy, too many projects one after the other have taken their toll including creating trip wires across the floor so it may take a while.

          Yes the command line argument method was what I thought would be good. Particularly for LF / MF and WSPR15 as there are experiments undertaken which could involve fixing a sked on a quiet QRG out of the standard window. Additionally the 'band plan' for 474KHz is not yet set in stone.

          A program called ./tx that supports different modes (wspr, opera, hell, cw). Interested yes definitely. :-)  . Keep up the good work.

          73 Eddie G3ZJO

          On 05/04/2013 15:09, Guido wrote:
[...]

        • Robert Nickels
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2013
            It was probably obvious from my previous comment that I was anxious for
            the WSPR.NET website to come back up so I could again test my Pi
            transmitter. But it turns out the database was running all along even
            when the website was down, and to my surprise there were over 165 spots
            in the database from the past 15 hours, including several spots from
            France - 6976 km distant! This was all on 20 meters using a homebrew
            LPF connected to the Pi, and feeding a 3 element SteppIR (which was
            pointed at the southeast US). I was hoping that having a good antenna
            would help, but this really blows me away. I turned the beam toward
            Europe about 10 minutes ago and just got a spot from Belgium - around
            the world on a GPIO pin!

            A big thanks to Guido and others who have made this possible and to
            Eddie, Paul, and those who have helped me overcome a few obstacles.
            I'm a believer!

            73, Bob W9RAN
          • Robert Nickels
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7, 2013
              Sad news to report ;-( After two days of amazing spots on WRPR it
              seems my Pi has died while in Wsprry Pi service - although I have no
              idea whether it was KIA or just coincidence.

              I'd switched the antenna to a vertical last night and started the beacon
              around 0445 UT in order to evaluate it's performance against the beam
              I'd been using on 20 meters. This morning I was surprised to only see
              no spots after 12:22 UT, and upon investigation I discovered that the
              beacon had failed and the Pi would not boot up. Upon further
              investigation using a bench power supply, I observed excessive current
              consumption (1.1 A from the 5 V supply) and the output of the 3.3 volt
              regulator is low, and drops even lower the longer power is applied - to
              less than 2 volts. One time I was able to observe a partial boot
              sequence before everything dropped out. The 3.3 volt regulator package
              is hot to the touch after such attempts and the 3.3 V line measures < 2
              ohms to ground. Fried Pi!

              My theory is that some part of the SOC has been damaged, and while the
              CPU part is still intact (and tries to run), the damaged part is
              drawing so much current that the regulator fails to achieve the 3.3 VDC
              needed (or drops below that level very quickly). The polyfuse is
              fine, and was not in the circuit at the time as I was feeding power to
              the Pi via the GPIO connector based on a suggestion I found on one of
              the R-Pi sites to eliminate having to use the microUSB cable. I
              wasn't aware until I looked at the schematic today that this method
              bypasses the fuse, although I'm not sure how that would have made a
              difference in this case.

              For Wsprry use, the low pass filter is capacitively coupled to GPIO pin
              7 (R-Pi) which is connected directly to the GPIO4 (Broadcom) pin on the
              BCM2835. Hindsight being 20/20, I now wonder about the wisdom of
              coupling a outside antenna to a GPIO pin that goes directly to the CPU
              chip without any kind of isolation. Transient voltages such as
              lightning or static buildup as well as RF from other transmitters
              operating into nearby antennas are a concern. And, a ground loop is
              created between the shielded side of the antenna coax and an other
              device connected to the Pi that wind up grounded via the AC powerline
              neutral or grounding conductors. My theory is that the GPIO was
              damaged by one of these means, or in some other way that I haven't
              thought of yet.

              I think that one stage of isolation using a simple BJT amplifier would
              provide cheap insurance, as would galvanic isolation between the antenna
              and the Pi. I plan to try both when the replacement Pi arrives.
              Meanwhile, I thought others could benefit from this experience.

              Any thoughts or theories on this would be appreciated as well,
              especially by Guido and others who have been using Wsprry Pi longer than
              I have.

              73, Bob W9RAN
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 9, 2013
                Couple thoughts:

                1 - most wall wart power supplies will NOT provide a GROUND, they can't if they are the simple 2-pin
                ac plug type since they only use hot and neutral. Even if you found a 3-pin one, most likely the DC
                output will be isolated from the AC connector.

                2 - the ethernet connection will not normally supply a ground to the pi either.

                3 - If you want the Pi grounded you are probably best off to supply a good ground to the pi separately.

                4 - If your using the GPIO pins as OUTPUTS some isolation/buffer chips/transistors are highly
                recommended, especially to drive an antenna.

                5 - If using the GPIO pins as inputs, buffering/isolating is almost mandatory, especially since they
                are 3.3v max.

                6 - The micro-usb power connector is the only fused power input. Power applied anywhere else needs
                to be fused externally from the board. (option - modify the board)

                7 - good news, Pi's are in-expensive... Not like frying a $800+ computer.

                -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B