Re: NEWBIE: FROM SW MIAMI, FL LOOKING FOR MENTOR.

  • ivan_5b8bi
    Message 1 of 86 , Apr 2 7:20 AM
      Try using synaptic. From a root terminal, type the following 2 commands, then use synaptic from the GUI

      Sudo apt-get update
      Sudo apt-get install synaptic

      Hope this helps

      Ivan
      5B8BI

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "k4lcd@..." <juangranados@...> wrote:

      > Good morning friends!
      >
      > I have NOT been able to install and run any other programs than those in the original install, in spite of my many attempts to understand the apt-get command.
      >
      > I would welcome telephone help from anyone knowledgeable, who could walk me over the installation of the audio, video, sound features, a better browser, installing my HP printer and making the rasp pi part of my network.
      >
      > I am on MagicJack so my US long distance calls are free and to most overseas landline numbers very inexpensive. Please send me a private Email and I would call you at your convenience.
      >
      > Kindest regards and 73
      >
      > Juan /K4LCD
      >

      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "k4lcd@" <juangranados@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi guys!
      > >
      > > The Pi arrived last evening and I had it running in ten minutes.
      > > OS on $15.00 32GB SDcard from Tiger Direct, HDMI to 32" TV, dongle to 4 USBs and dongle for wireless keyboard and mouse *same I use for Win 7 64 bits machine). Ethernet cable to Netgear Gigabit Switch.
      > > Downloaded Linux Comamnd Line, thank you guys for the advise.
      > > No audio or video, yet. need advise..
      > >
      > > Little Raspberry Pi is COOL!!!
      > >
      > > 73
      > >
      > > Juan /K4LCD
      > > Miami, FL

    • K4LCD
      Message 86 of 86 , Apr 22 3:01 AM
        Good morning Paul and Greetings from Florida!

        I tried the suggestions in those  "Google Links" and read all the debate, which I suggest you also do. It does NOT work... All those millions of hits means mean that there are NEWBIES like me, from SW Miami trying to get to watch youtube videos on the Pi. Google has NOT been the Linux MENTOR that I have been looking for.
        Are you watching and listening youtube videos on your pi? If you are, why don't you share with us how you are doing it?

        Regards and 73

        Juan /K4LCD

        On 04/22/2013 12:00 AM, pmooney22 wrote:

        I took up the 'google it' challenge.

        For 'sound on the Raspberry Pi' I got nearly 7 million hits, including (for example):
        http://blog.scphillips.com/2013/01/sound-configuration-on-raspberry-pi-with-alsa/

        For 'playing youtube videos on raspberry pi' I got over 9 million hits, including:
        http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8157&start=100
        (install whitey & youtube-dl, then run youtube-dl)

        For 'software defined radio raspberry pi' I get over 100,000 pages, many using the RPi for wspr.

        Hope this helps

        Paul
        5B8BA

        --