Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Humble Pie (:-/ Re: an alternative to Linux

  • Ray Wells
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 7:13 PM
      Thanks Ian,

      I keep forgetting about apt-cache. Must be getting old and forgetful!

      Ray vk2tv

      On 02/04/13 05:51, Ian Bennett wrote:

      The apt-cache command will allow you to search for packages from the
      command line. For example:

      apt-cache search ax25

      returns the following on my Xubuntu 12.04 installation:

      ax25-apps - AX.25 ham radio applications
      ax25-tools - tools for AX.25 interface configuration
      ax25-xtools - tools for AX.25 interface configuration -- X11-based
      ax25mail-utils - hamradio utilities for fbb
      libax25 - ax25 library for hamradio applications
      libax25-dev - ax25 library development files
      linamc - Qt based AX-25 Mail Client

      The package names are on the left. As we are talking about fbb, I'd do:

      apt-get install ax25mail-utils

      This will install the ax25mail-utils package, along with any
      dependencies. Just keep an eye on the output of the command(s) as this
      is extremely useful in fixing problems.

      Ian
      VK1IAN