Humble Pie (:-/ Re: an alternative to Linux

  • vk4tub
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31 9:48 PM
      greetings again from Oz
      I know I said I was totally over Linux but I have to thank the group for your words of encouragement have made me keep going and I do thankyou all for that.

      After a nights sleep and a morning coffee I started into my forth solid day of installing and configuring fbb for Linux onto the Rasberry PI.

      Now I am no stranger to fbb and have been using the dos and windoze versions for over 20 years and enjoy it very much. I have restarted my BBS after a 7 year absence and when the PRI's came on the market I immediately thought that what a great little bbs they would make
      However all the effort to get it installed on the rasberian little box has been a major undertaking and I have been on this for just over a month now.

      I can and have plenty of practise at installing the pi software and setting up my PI's for networking and XRDP etc, and no problem finding my way around the Linux GUI.
      But I do have difficulty with the unknown commands that make it possible to install software.

      I had no idea how to extract, make ,make install, then configure the software from the command line.

      Plus I am just battling through setting up the AX25 ports as I require telnet and one single radio port. My problem is I don't know what it is asking for, and or how this will interace with the com port and telnet port that I will setup for fbb?

      I have a usb to serial adaptor already recognized and don't understand why I cannot just point fbb at that, instead of all this AX25 stuff, as the easy bit is to configure fbb.

      I am pleased to say that I have made big in roads compared to yesterday which was almost the end of Linux for me.

      And at least I now have fbb installed but am stuck on what is being asked of the ax25 ports and does telnet come into this or any other ports? In dos it is just a mater of telling fbb that the port is 2f8 or 3f8 and the speed pretty simple stuff.

      However I have another layer to contend with and I have so far downloaded 36 pages of how to ax25 and after I finish typing this I will take a look.
      As the fbb bit really is the easy part of this whole thing.

      I will keep you posted as to my progress/frustration with this project.
      kind regards Kerry VK4TUB
    • Ray Wells
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2013
        Kerry,

        That's the spirit!!

        Specifically, what are you being asked/told re ax25. What was your action and what was the response? Can you cut and paste?

        In kernel ax25 each port has a name, as defined in axports. This can be essentially what you want it to be. You could call it 1, aprs, 5175 (to reference the frequency) vhf1, kerrysvhfport, etc. It could also be called ax0, ax1, etc to reflect the port name given by the kernel when it attaches a port with the kissattach command. The ports allocated start at 0 (zero) and increment with each additional port. For ax ports they would be ax0, ax1, ax2, etc. Netrom ports would be nr0, nr1, nr2, etc. In FBB you direct to the port name(s) specified in axports. Kissattach provides the link between software ports and hardware (real) ports. Com1 (in DOS) would be /dev/ttyS0, or more commonly these days, /dev/ttyUSB0 in Linux.

        Even with DOS FBB, it couldn't handle KISS ports directly. It handled WA8DED (something like that - my DOS FBB days ended in 1996) which required a special EPROM for the TNC. You might recall that under DOS (and Win95), BPQ was started as a TSR (Terminate & Stay Resident) to provide the interface between FBB and KISS, USCC, bpqether and a host of others hardware types. John Wiseman, G8BPQ, contributes to this list and I'm sure he would be happy to provide more info in this regard. BTW, thanks John, for your ongoing contribution to packet radio.

        A bit more inline ...

        On 01/04/13 15:48, vk4tub wrote:

[...]

        If the package is in the repositories you can install it with sudo apt-get install <packagename>. That process will also take care of and dependencies, other software that your package needs. If you are installing a third-party deb package you will install it with sudo dpkg -i <packagename.deb>. You may or may not run into dependency issues.

        On package names, they are not always intuitive which makes apt-get a bit hit and miss. If you are using the gui on the RPI install synaptic (apt-get install synaptic) so you can search available packages based on words or partial words.

        I had no idea how to extract, make ,make install, then configure the software from the command line.

        Your best bet here is to consult some existing documentation that lists prerequisites for compiling source software. Charley k4gbb pointed you here http://k4gbb.no-ip.info/docs/Raspberry.html. Take a look. Although Bernard has said his Fpac mini-HOWTO is out of date, the steps for compiling kernel az25 from sources are still useful as a starting point. Google for F6BVP fpac mini-Howto. As for extracting, there are two file compression programs that are widely used in Linux ...
        <name>.tar.gz (tar - tape archive and gz - gzip) or,
        <name>.bzip2 (handles large files better).

        It's a good idea to place the source files in a directory like /home/user/src or /usr/local/src and extract from there.

        I won't go into the make process here. Have a look at the references above and then come back with questions.

        Plus I am just battling through setting up the AX25 ports as I require telnet and one single radio port. My problem is I don't know what it is asking for, and or how this will interace with the com port and telnet port that I will setup for fbb?

        I have a usb to serial adaptor already recognized and don't understand why I cannot just point fbb at that, instead of all this AX25 stuff, as the easy bit is to configure fbb.

        I am pleased to say that I have made big in roads compared to yesterday which was almost the end of Linux for me.

        And at least I now have fbb installed but am stuck on what is being asked of the ax25 ports and does telnet come into this or any other ports? In dos it is just a mater of telling fbb that the port is 2f8 or 3f8 and the speed pretty simple stuff.

        That stuff is set up with axports, mainly.

        However I have another layer to contend with and I have so far downloaded 36 pages of how to ax25 and after I finish typing this I will take a look.
        As the fbb bit really is the easy part of this whole thing.

        For me it's the kernel ax25 that's the easy part. I can provide a few of my ax25 files if that might help.

        I will keep you posted as to my progress/frustration with this project.
        kind regards Kerry VK4TUB

        Ask lots of questions and post error messages. Tell us what you were trying to do at the time.

        Ray vk2tv
      • Ian Bennett
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2013
          The apt-cache command will allow you to search for packages from the
          command line. For example:

          apt-cache search ax25

          returns the following on my Xubuntu 12.04 installation:

          ax25-apps - AX.25 ham radio applications
          ax25-tools - tools for AX.25 interface configuration
          ax25-xtools - tools for AX.25 interface configuration -- X11-based
          ax25mail-utils - hamradio utilities for fbb
          libax25 - ax25 library for hamradio applications
          libax25-dev - ax25 library development files
          linamc - Qt based AX-25 Mail Client

          The package names are on the left. As we are talking about fbb, I'd do:

          apt-get install ax25mail-utils

          This will install the ax25mail-utils package, along with any
          dependencies. Just keep an eye on the output of the command(s) as this
          is extremely useful in fixing problems.

          Ian
          VK1IAN

          On 01/04/13 19:27, Ray Wells wrote:

> [...]
          >> yesterday which was almost the end of Linux for me.
          >>
          >> And at least I now have fbb installed but am stuck on what is being
          >> asked of the ax25 ports and does telnet come into this or any other
          >> ports? In dos it is just a mater of telling fbb that the port is 2f8
          >> or 3f8 and the speed pretty simple stuff.
          >>
          > That stuff is set up with axports, mainly.
          >>

          >> However I have another layer to contend with and I have so far
          >> downloaded 36 pages of how to ax25 and after I finish typing this I
          >> will take a look.
          >> As the fbb bit really is the easy part of this whole thing.
          >>
          > For me it's the kernel ax25 that's the easy part. I can provide a few of
          > my ax25 files if that might help.
          >>

          >> I will keep you posted as to my progress/frustration with this project.
          >> kind regards Kerry VK4TUB
          >>
          > Ask lots of questions and post error messages. Tell us what you were

        • Ray Wells
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2013
            Thanks Ian,

            I keep forgetting about apt-cache. Must be getting old and forgetful!

            Ray vk2tv