Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Another alternaive to linix?

  • Stephen Farthing
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 31, 2013
      Hi Guys,

      I am wondering if the easiest way to help the man out is for some kind soul to copy a working installation onto an SD card and get him up and running. Then the pressure would be off him and he could learn at his leisure. I don't have this setup I am afraid.

      Linux requires some effort to learn and personally I am not a great fan of it. But it is what it is.

      73s Steve G0XAR

      On 31 March 2013 19:11, Charles <k4gbb1@...> wrote:

      Kerry,
       I understand your frustration and I may be able to help you.
      Linux and Command Line are a tough task to take on after using a Graphic Interface.

      I have several RPIs and admin approx 20 Linux Packet radio systems.
      In order to keep up with the changes I create scripts to do the command by command work.
      I have two web pages that seem to help others.

      Both address the installation of the Linux RMS Gate.
      This one should be of interest..  Raspberry RMS Gate

      The FBB BBS is a wicked project to start with.
      I have been running a BBS since 1985 back before there was Windows or Linux.
      I would suggest you try for a RMS Gate or a Node before you take on the BBS.

      In any case , I hope you don't give up on Linux. I has a great future with HAM radio.

      73
      <<Charley>>

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "vk4tub" <kermck@...> wrote:

      > Greetings to all
      >
      > to be blunt I am totally over Linux and have wasted much time on trying to make it work with fbb. Many hams have it working and regardless of my typing the exact some commands as they do it doesn't work. I have reinstalled the pi version of Linux 6 times today and configured it up with out a problem however the one program that I want to run will not nor will the ax25 tools install on my pi for whatever reason.
      > I have also built several tncpis to go with the two units I have here but am dead in the water because I cannot get even one raspberry working.
      >
      > So before I ditch this project into the trash can is there another operating system available such as Dos that will at least have logical paths etc that a Dos based person like myself can understand.
      >
      > Linux has totally confused me to the point where I have had enough.
      >
      > kind regards Kerry VK4TUB

    • Ray Wells
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 31, 2013
        And what will Kerry learn if he doesn't ask questions about why something isn't working?

        If ax25-tools isn't working there is probably a very simple reason. Fixing that problem is likely as simple as reporting an error message to the list.

        I'm all for helping people - check my numerous posts to various forums over the last 15 years - but providing a working system isn't helping, it just shifts the hiatus a bit further away. If Kerry can fix his own system, with a bit of help from the list, he may then be able to help somebody else.

        Ray vk2tv

        On 01/04/13 14:09, Stephen Farthing wrote:

        Hi Guys,

        I am wondering if the easiest way to help the man out is for some kind soul to copy a working installation onto an SD card and get him up and running. Then the pressure would be off him and he could learn at his leisure. I don't have this setup I am afraid.

        Linux requires some effort to learn and personally I am not a great fan of it. But it is what it is.

        73s Steve G0XAR

        On 31 March 2013 19:11, Charles <k4gbb1@...> wrote:

        Kerry,
         I understand your frustration and I may be able to help you.
        Linux and Command Line are a tough task to take on after using a Graphic Interface.

        I have several RPIs and admin approx 20 Linux Packet radio systems.
        In order to keep up with the changes I create scripts to do the command by command work.
        I have two web pages that seem to help others.

        Both address the installation of the Linux RMS Gate.
        This one should be of interest..  Raspberry RMS Gate

        The FBB BBS is a wicked project to start with.
        I have been running a BBS since 1985 back before there was Windows or Linux.
        I would suggest you try for a RMS Gate or a Node before you take on the BBS.

        In any case , I hope you don't give up on Linux. I has a great future with HAM radio.

        73
        <<Charley>>

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "vk4tub" <kermck@...> wrote:

        > Greetings to all
        >
        > to be blunt I am totally over Linux and have wasted much time on trying to make it work with fbb. Many hams have it working and regardless of my typing the exact some commands as they do it doesn't work. I have reinstalled the pi version of Linux 6 times today and configured it up with out a problem however the one program that I want to run will not nor will the ax25 tools install on my pi for whatever reason.
        > I have also built several tncpis to go with the two units I have here but am dead in the water because I cannot get even one raspberry working.
        >
        > So before I ditch this project into the trash can is there another operating system available such as Dos that will at least have logical paths etc that a Dos based person like myself can understand.
        >
        > Linux has totally confused me to the point where I have had enough.
        >
        > kind regards Kerry VK4TUB

      • JJ
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2013
          On 13-03-31 02:13 PM, John Ferrell wrote:

          It can be very frustrating. I am also a rooky. I have found that a lot of linux verbage really does not apply to our version. The matter of when & where to use sudo, su chmod to sort out permissions is frequently assumed. The same with what directory to be in when. There is a path statement that is frequently forgotten in the explanations.
          If you document your problem carefully and completely then bring it to these guys here, they seem to be very understanding and helpful. In all endeavors my strategy is to imatate some one who is successful and only then venture forward on my own.

          No offense intended.

          --
          John Ferrell W8CCW
          That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.

          I have found that when I'm gnawing on a frustrating problem, like trying to do someting in linux or whatever, I now "step away from the confuser/computer" for a few days...and try something else that I can accomplish more easily...then I can come back to it later with a fresher outlook, and I think while away from the original problem, the mind subconsciously works on the issue without you even being aware of it, lol..many many times I've done this and woke up in the middle of the night with a "Eureka!!" moment, hi hi! Linux is well worth learning, albeit a steep learning curve...steeper for some as we all look at the world differently...and I like that! May I suggest trying something like puppy linux on a usb stick or a live DVD....break it as often as you want..to fix it: reboot, lol!....try other distros...many have live dvd/usb images, lots to try out there...and don't stop trying to learn (not just linux)...it's the job of learning that's the best for us, not so much the accomplishment....but it sure helps to accomplish something finally...
              another op had mentioned about case sensitivity in linux...that can be a gotcha for many users...remember that also "pwd" will tell you where you are in the directory tree....just "cd" then hit enter will put you back in your home directory....and slashes are / in linux, not like dos'es \
          HTH and good luck...ask away...the only bad questions are those that aren't asked, hi hi!
          Cheers,
          John

        • John Ferrell
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2013
            I just tried Puppy Linux. It is a real eye opener. I thought I was doing
            well with Linux in general... I have yet to get away from the GUI back
            to the console! I will continue though.
            I also have Ubuntu loaded on an old machine that is way too slow. Last
            night I added Kubuntu to the installation per directions... Surprise! I
            have yet to figure out how to boot the Kubuntu addition!
            I am surprised that the system is so doggy. It is a 1500Mhz, 512 memory
            & 80G SATA HD. The ultimate plan is to make it useful to pass on to a
            bright 13 year old fellow...
            People have trouble understanding that I do this for fun!

            On 4/1/2013 6:15 AM, JJ wrote:
            > May I suggest trying something like puppy linux on a usb stick or a
            > live DVD....break it as often as you want..to fix it: reboot,
            > lol!....try other distros...many have live dvd/usb images, lots to try
            > out there...and don't stop trying to learn (not just linux)...it's the
            > job of learning that's the best for us, not so much the
            > accomplishment....but it sure helps to accomplish something finally...

            --
            John Ferrell W8CCW
            That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
            P.C. HODGELL
          • k_mckenzie
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 4, 2013
              seems to me that the whole purpose of Pi is to be a reasonably priced learning tool.
              Linux isn't the easiest which I can well understand since we have all been dumbed down by iPads(iOSs) and WinDoze.
              perhaps a good tutorial for Linux might be of help.
              Just my 2 cents worth ...

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

              > Why not just give Kerry an SD card with a working version of ax25 and whatever else he needs. Then he can just plug it in and fire up his system I'm sure he would pay the modest cost of the SD card to get a working setup!
              >
              > Rick

            • Dave Cochran
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 5, 2013

                I guess it really depends on just what you need as a tutorial.  Linux in general is by and large the most well documented OS of all time.

                Can you be more specific here?  I've been using Linux since the early/mid 90's both personally and professionally so I might be able to help a bit if there is something specific needed.

                Dave
                N0TRQ

                > seems to me that the whole purpose of Pi is to be a reasonably priced learning tool.
                > Linux isn't the easiest which I can well understand since we have all been dumbed down by iPads(iOSs) and WinDoze.
                > perhaps a good tutorial for Linux might be of help.
                > Just my 2 cents worth ...

              • Mathison Ott
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 6, 2013
                  A good Google search solve most of my Linux hang up, and if that docent work refine your search.

                  nixcraft is a lot of help and they come up in Google searches all the time.

                  73
                  Mathison kj6dzb

                  On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM, k_mckenzie <k_mckenzie@...> wrote:

                  seems to me that the whole purpose of Pi is to be a reasonably priced learning tool.
                  Linux isn't the easiest which I can well understand since we have all been dumbed down by iPads(iOSs) and WinDoze.
                  perhaps a good tutorial for Linux might be of help.
                  Just my 2 cents worth ...

                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Simpson" <goatguy101@...> wrote:

                  > Why not just give Kerry an SD card with a working version of ax25 and whatever else he needs. Then he can just plug it in and fire up his system I'm sure he would pay the modest cost of the SD card to get a working setup!
                  >
                  > Rick

                • Kerry McKenzie
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                    Greetings all
                    bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
                    I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
                    time" with linux.
                    The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
                    does and they are standard dos.
                    I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
                    alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
                    cant wait.
                    check out the link below

                    http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html

                    --
                    Kind Regards
                    Kerry McKenzie

                    PO Box 4492
                    Kirwan QLD 4817
                    Australia
                  • Andy Pevy

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                        Hi Kerry,

                        I don't know if you use an Apple Mac but if you do a knowledge of Linux can come in handy. I managed to recover an unusable Mac yesterday to full working order with 4 command lines which I learned from using Linux.

                        There is a complete listing of alternative operating systems here :-

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

                        I also know that some really old school operating systems are available for it, including George 3 (an operating system for ICL1900 computers), and I believe various DEC operating systems may well have been ported.

                        73s Steve G0XAR

                        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kerry McKenzie <kermck@...> wrote:

                        > Greetings all
                        > bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
                        > I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
                        > time" with linux.
                        > The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
                        > does and they are standard dos.
                        > I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
                        > alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
                        > cant wait.
                        > check out the link below
                        >
                        > http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html
                        >
                        > --
                        > Kind Regards
                        > Kerry McKenzie
                        >
                        > PO Box 4492
                        > Kirwan QLD 4817
                        > Australia

                      • JJ
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                          On 13-04-14 08:03 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:

                          Greetings all
                          bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
                          I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
                          time" with linux.
                          The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
                          does and they are standard dos.
                          I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
                          alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
                          cant wait.
                          check out the link below

                          http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html

                          --
                          Kind Regards
                          Kerry McKenzie

                          PO Box 4492
                          Kirwan QLD 4817
                          Australia

                          linUx is user friendly, it's just picky about it's friends, hi hi!

                        • Richard Bown
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                            On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:13:02 +0100
                            Andy Pevy <andypevy@...> wrote:

                            > Goodness gracious no, back to the dark ages.....
                            That makes Darwins theory of evolution questionable !

                            > On 14 April 2013 12:03, Kerry McKenzie <kermck@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > Greetings all
                            > > bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
                            > > I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
                            > > time" with linux.
                            > > The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
                            > > does and they are standard dos.
                            > > I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
                            > > alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
                            > > cant wait.
                            > > check out the link below
                            > >
                            > > http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html
                            > >
                            > > --
                            > > Kind Regards
                            > > Kerry McKenzie
                            > >
                            > > PO Box 4492
                            > > Kirwan QLD 4817
                            > > Australia

                            Best wishes / 73
                            Richard Bown

                            Email : richard@...
                            HTTP :http://www.g8jvm.info
                            nil carborundum a illegitemis
                            ##################################################################################
                            Ham Call G8JVM . OS Fedora FC18 x86_64 on a Dell Insiron N5030 laptop
                            Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W ( degs+mins )
                            QRV VHF 6mtrs 200W, 4 mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 350W, 70cms 200W
                            Microwave 23 cms 140W, 13 cms 100W, 6 cms 0W & 3cms 5W
                            ##################################################################################
                            Please do not use the e-mail address of richard@...
                            Mail hosted by 1and1, Domain screwed up by 1and1 and Freeparking
                          • Ray Cadmus
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                               I understand some of the frustration that the new Linux users are facing.  I've been using Linux since the mid 90's and still find a need to look up how to do some things.  The old mind just doesn't remember well any more :-(

                              Anyway...  Here is a link to a command conversion chart - UNIX (Linux) for Dos users.

                              http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/unix_for_dos_users.html

                              Hope this helps,

                              ray    W0PFO

                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                                That link appears to be for a DOS emulator to run on the Pi, not an operating system. Looks like he
                                is aimed at running old dos games on the Pi running his emulator in Xwindows. So don't expect to be
                                booting/running DOS on the Pi based on that.

                                I agree linux is cryptic,obtuse,unfriendly,frustrating, etc... DOS/Windows was also but definitely
                                has an advantage in that many of the command & program names make sense. If we grew-up learning
                                linux instead of dos/windows then dos/windows would be foreign to us.

                                -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B

                                On 4/14/13 7:03 AM, Kerry McKenzie wrote:
                                > Greetings all
                                > bingo!! yes there is life as an alternative to Linux for the PI,.... as
                                > I happened along this after yet another frustrating weekend of "wasted
                                > time" with linux.
                                > The best thing is the commands don't change with the flavor like linux
                                > does and they are standard dos.
                                > I guess its only going to be a matter of time before there will be
                                > alternatives to linux for the PI and I have to say that personally I
                                > cant wait.
                                > check out the link below
                                >
                                > http://rpix86.patrickaalto.com/rblog.html

                              • jerome schatten
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 14, 2013
                                  “What one fool can do, another can.”
                                  - Ancient Simian Proverb.

                                  Try harder -- you can't move forward looking through the rear view mirror.
                                  73'
                                  jerome