Re: NEWBIE: FROM SW MIAMI, FL LOOKING FOR MENTOR.

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 86 , Mar 31, 2013
      Great piece of advice Ray!
      It can be installed from the command line with apt-get.
      Execute the command
      apt-get install mc
      Once installed simply enter the command
      mc

      The application is mostly intuitive.

      <<Charley>>
      k4gbb

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

      > For those old enough to remember DOS, you might remember a file
      > management program called Norton Commander. Later, it was ported to
      > Windoze as Windows Commander. Midnight Commander is the Linux port of
      > Norton Commander and is a highly recommended tool for newcomers to Linux
      > - and old hands as well! I don't know when it first appeared but I first
      > used it in Linux back around 1993. It also contains a handy ftp client.
      >
      > Ray vk2tv
      >
      > Ray vk2tv
      > On 31/03/13 03:05, John Ferrell wrote:
      > >
      > > Thank you, I got it!
      > > Rookie discovery:
      > > I found a program called Midnight Commander.
      > > It runs command line. when invoked from gui, it opens a commandline
      > > session which appears nicer than from bash. Probably my setup.It makes
      > > it easy to browse and otherwise manipulate files.
      > > Install with sudo apt-get install mc
      > > mc runs it.
      > > man mc works
      > > run it and see!
      > >
      > > Another item:
      > > The best advice I have received about linux & rpi has been here. The
      > > groups patience & tolerance has been outstanding. I fear my questions
      > > amount to noise to those with more experience than I. I will
      > > eventually get around to the Amateur Radio stuff soon. In the
      > > meanwhile is there another group/form that would be better for me to
      > > take theses questions to? The unmoderated Yahoo groups have too much
      > > "noise" to be useful.
      > > de W8CCW John
      > >

      > >> --
      > >> John Ferrell W8CCW
      > >> That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
      > >> P.C. HODGELL
      > >>

      > > --
      > > John Ferrell W8CCW
      > > That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
      > > P.C. HODGELL

    • K4LCD
      Message 86 of 86 , Apr 22, 2013
        Good morning Paul and Greetings from Florida!

        I tried the suggestions in those  "Google Links" and read all the debate, which I suggest you also do. It does NOT work... All those millions of hits means mean that there are NEWBIES like me, from SW Miami trying to get to watch youtube videos on the Pi. Google has NOT been the Linux MENTOR that I have been looking for.
        Are you watching and listening youtube videos on your pi? If you are, why don't you share with us how you are doing it?

        Regards and 73

        Juan /K4LCD

        On 04/22/2013 12:00 AM, pmooney22 wrote:

        I took up the 'google it' challenge.

        For 'sound on the Raspberry Pi' I got nearly 7 million hits, including (for example):
        http://blog.scphillips.com/2013/01/sound-configuration-on-raspberry-pi-with-alsa/

        For 'playing youtube videos on raspberry pi' I got over 9 million hits, including:
        http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8157&start=100
        (install whitey & youtube-dl, then run youtube-dl)

        For 'software defined radio raspberry pi' I get over 100,000 pages, many using the RPi for wspr.

        Hope this helps

        Paul
        5B8BA

        --