APRS-IS Rx-only iGate with rtl dongle

  • Marco Kubon
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 31, 2013
      Hello Group,

      since two weeks I run a APRS-IS Rx-only iGate with the Raspberry Pi and
      a rtl DVB-T usb stick. You can find my code at

      https://github.com/mkubon/pyrtlmultimonaprs

      Before you run this software you need to install the rtl-sdr packet from
      http://http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr and multimonNG from
      https://github.com/EliasOenal/multimonNG/.

      Fell free to test. But beware, it's not perfect.

      --
      73 de DL1MX
      Marco

      www.qrz.com/db/DL1MX
    • marco.kubon
      Message 2 of 30 , May 15, 2013
        Hello,

        Dominik Heidler, the origin author of the pymultimonaprs software, has implemented my rtl stuff into his software. You can use his git repository at https://github.com/asdil12/pymultimonaprs now. My repository is depricated.

        To use the rtl dongle for capturing the APRS frames you have to edit the configuration file. Also you need to install rtl_fm and multimonNG.

        Best regards
        Marco
        DL1MX

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Marco Kubon <dl1mx@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group,
        >
        > since two weeks I run a APRS-IS Rx-only iGate with the Raspberry Pi and
        > a rtl DVB-T usb stick. You can find my code at
        >
        > https://github.com/mkubon/pyrtlmultimonaprs
        >
        > Before you run this software you need to install the rtl-sdr packet from
        > http://http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr and multimonNG from
        > https://github.com/EliasOenal/multimonNG/.
        >
        > Fell free to test. But beware, it's not perfect.
        >
        > --
        > 73 de DL1MX
        > Marco
        >
        > www.qrz.com/db/DL1MX

      • Mathison Ott
        Message 3 of 30 , May 16, 2013
          Thank you! Guys! Any interest / a chance the perl aprs could amend the igate rtl software? http://w9if.net/iweb/perlaprs/

          73 Mathison

          On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM, marco.kubon <dl1mx@...> wrote:

          Hello,

          Dominik Heidler, the origin author of the pymultimonaprs software, has implemented my rtl stuff into his software. You can use his git repository at https://github.com/asdil12/pymultimonaprs now. My repository is depricated.

          To use the rtl dongle for capturing the APRS frames you have to edit the configuration file. Also you need to install rtl_fm and multimonNG.

          Best regards
          Marco
          DL1MX

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Marco Kubon <dl1mx@...> wrote:

          > Hello Group,
          >
          > since two weeks I run a APRS-IS Rx-only iGate with the Raspberry Pi and
          > a rtl DVB-T usb stick. You can find my code at
          >
          > https://github.com/mkubon/pyrtlmultimonaprs
          >
          > Before you run this software you need to install the rtl-sdr packet from
          > http://http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr and multimonNG from
          > https://github.com/EliasOenal/multimonNG/.
          >
          > Fell free to test. But beware, it's not perfect.
          >
          > --
          > 73 de DL1MX
          > Marco
          >
          > www.qrz.com/db/DL1MX

        • Alex
          Message 4 of 30 , May 16, 2013
            Interesting. I was under the impression the RasPi didn't have the CPU power needed to decode an RTL-SDR stream. How's the performance? Does it do ok with weaker signals?

            -Alex

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "marco.kubon" <dl1mx@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > Dominik Heidler, the origin author of the pymultimonaprs software,
            <snip>
          • Mathison Ott
            Message 5 of 30 , May 16, 2013
              Im running throu the install right now... whats "not perfect" ???

              mathison

              Message 6 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                Im giving it to you raw.... once I corrected the server in the config file.

                pi@raspberrypi ~/pyrtlmultimonaprs $ ./pyrtlmultimonaprs.py
                connecting... 198.137.202.24:14580
                connected
                # aprsc 2.0.0-gf5e3f21
                # logresp kj6dzb-8 verified, server SIXTH
                sending: kj6dzb-8>APRS,TCPIP*:=3731.80NI12210.20E& PyRtlMultimonAPRS iGate kj6dzb
                sending: kj6dzb-8>APRS,TCPIP*:>running on Raspberry Pi with rtl dongle
                Exception in thread Thread-2:
                Traceback (most recent call last):
                File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 552, in __bootstrap_inner
                self.run()
                File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 505, in run
                self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
                File "/home/pi/pyrtlmultimonaprs/multimon.py", line 12, in multimon
                proc2 = subprocess.Popen(['multimonNG', '-a', 'AFSK1200', '-'], stdin=proc1.stdout, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=open('/dev/null'))
                File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
                errread, errwrite)
                File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1259, in _execute_child
                raise child_exception
                OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

                Ideas????

                73
                kj6dzb
              • mathisono
                Message 7 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                  I started an GPSd server to sync the time on my pi.
                  http://blog.dale.id.au/archives/149

                  As that I may be moving with this set up dose it have gps support? so i don't have to set my position in the config when i move.

                  Mathison kj6dzb
                • marco.kubon
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                    Hi Mathison,

                    The reason for saying "not perfect" is that I'm not a python programmer and I started with Python on this software the first time. I needed some days to implement the rtl_fm feature, but now it works. It was a proof of concept. Meanwhile Dominik has implemented my feature in his original code and we made some improvements. And I think it don't met the APRS specifications 100%. Last correction was the eliminationof the -0 SSID.

                    Regarding your failure description you need to install the multionNG software. My one is placed in the folder /usr/local/bin/. Try to start multimonNG from the commandline to see if it is working.

                    Regards
                    Marco

                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "mathisono" <mathisono@...> wrote:

                    > Im giving it to you raw.... once I corrected the server in the config file.
                    >
                    > pi@raspberrypi ~/pyrtlmultimonaprs $ ./pyrtlmultimonaprs.py
                    > connecting... 198.137.202.24:14580
                    > connected
                    > # aprsc 2.0.0-gf5e3f21
                    > # logresp kj6dzb-8 verified, server SIXTH
                    > sending: kj6dzb-8>APRS,TCPIP*:=3731.80NI12210.20E& PyRtlMultimonAPRS iGate kj6dzb
                    > sending: kj6dzb-8>APRS,TCPIP*:>running on Raspberry Pi with rtl dongle
                    > Exception in thread Thread-2:
                    > Traceback (most recent call last):
                    > File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 552, in __bootstrap_inner
                    > self.run()
                    > File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 505, in run
                    > self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
                    > File "/home/pi/pyrtlmultimonaprs/multimon.py", line 12, in multimon
                    > proc2 = subprocess.Popen(['multimonNG', '-a', 'AFSK1200', '-'], stdin=proc1.stdout, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=open('/dev/null'))
                    > File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
                    > errread, errwrite)
                    > File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1259, in _execute_child
                    > raise child_exception
                    > OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
                    >
                    > Ideas????
                    >
                    > 73
                    > kj6dzb

                  • marco.kubon
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 16, 2013
                      Hi Alex,

                      my Pi is running with the 900 MHz setting. The rtl_fm process is running with aroung 15% usage, multimonNG needs around 2% and pymultimonaprs around 1%. Also a satellite tracker (carpcomm.com) and a house automation control (fhem.de) is running on that Pi and the load average is only around 0,6. So the device is powerfull enough and quite amazing.

                      The decoding of the signal depends an the antenne and on the type of rtl device. I've an old Teratec device with fc0012 tuner wich is very deaf. The newer Teratec Cinergy TStick RC with E4000 tuner has a good reception, although I'm using a wideband discone antenna. One time I received a cubesat with a 11 element cross yagi.

                      Regards
                      Marco

                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <alex@...> wrote:

                      > Interesting. I was under the impression the RasPi didn't have the CPU power needed to decode an RTL-SDR stream. How's the performance? Does it do ok with weaker signals?
                      >
                      > -Alex
                      >
                      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "marco.kubon" <dl1mx@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello,
                      > >
                      > > Dominik Heidler, the origin author of the pymultimonaprs software,
                      > <snip>

                    • mathisono
                      Message 10 of 30 , May 18, 2013
                        I would really like to say i know how, there is little documentation.

                        Mathison

                        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "marco.kubon" <dl1mx@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Mathison,
                        >
                        > The reason for saying "not perfect" is that I'm not a python programmer and I started with Python on this software the first time. I needed some days to implement the rtl_fm feature, but now it works. It was a proof of concept. Meanwhile Dominik has implemented my feature in his original code and we made some improvements. And I think it don't met the APRS specifications 100%. Last correction was the eliminationof the -0 SSID.
                        >
                        > Regarding your failure description you need to install the multionNG software. My one is placed in the folder /usr/local/bin/. Try to start multimonNG from the commandline to see if it is working.
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > Marco
                        >

                        > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "mathisono" <mathisono@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Im giving it to you raw.... once I corrected the server in the config file.
                        > >
                        > > pi@raspberrypi ~/pyrtlmultimonaprs $ ./pyrtlmultimonaprs.py
                        > > connecting... 198.137.202.24:14580
                        > > connected
                        > > # aprsc 2.0.0-gf5e3f21
                        > > # logresp kj6dzb-8 verified, server SIXTH
                        > > sending: kj6dzb-8>APRS,TCPIP*:=3731.80NI12210.20E& PyRtlMultimonAPRS iGate kj6dzb
                        > > sending: kj6dzb-8>APRS,TCPIP*:>running on Raspberry Pi with rtl dongle
                        > > Exception in thread Thread-2:
                        > > Traceback (most recent call last):
                        > > File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 552, in __bootstrap_inner
                        > > self.run()
                        > > File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 505, in run
                        > > self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
                        > > File "/home/pi/pyrtlmultimonaprs/multimon.py", line 12, in multimon
                        > > proc2 = subprocess.Popen(['multimonNG', '-a', 'AFSK1200', '-'], stdin=proc1.stdout, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=open('/dev/null'))
                        > > File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
                        > > errread, errwrite)
                        > > File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1259, in _execute_child
                        > > raise child_exception
                        > > OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
                        > >
                        > > Ideas????
                        > >
                        > > 73
                        > > kj6dzb

                      • mathisono
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 18, 2013
                          It looks like a problem in the code, I did make and then remake MultimonNG...?

                          -------------------------------------
                          pi@raspberrypi ~/pyrtlmultimonaprs $ ./pyrtlmultimonaprs.py
                          connecting... 198.137.202.24:14580
                          connected
                          # aprsc 2.0.0-gf5e3f21
                          # logresp kj6dzb-10 verified, server SIXTH
                          sending: kj6dzb-10>APRS,TCPIP*:=3731.89NI12210.61W& PyRtlMultimonAPRS iGate kj6dzb
                          sending: kj6dzb-10>APRS,TCPIP*:>running on Raspberry Pi with rtl dongle

                          Message 12 of 30 , May 18, 2013
                            I had to copy multimonNG in too the /usr/local/bin/ folder? Now there is no error.

                            73 Mathison
                          • mathisono
                            Message 13 of 30 , May 18, 2013
                              sudo rtl_fm -f 144390000 | multimonNG -a AFSK1200 -t raw /dev/stdin

                              This dosent yeald 144.390mhz????

                              multimonNG (C) 1996/1997 by Tom Sailer HB9JNX/AE4WA
                              (C) 2012 by Elias Oenal
                              available demodulators: POCSAG512 POCSAG1200 POCSAG2400 EAS UFSK1200 CLIPFSK AFSK1200 AFSK2400 AFSK2400_2 AFSK2400_3 HAPN4800 FSK9600 DTMF ZVEI SCOPE
                              Enabled demodulators: AFSK1200
                              Found 1 device(s):
                              0: Generic, RTL2832U, SN: 77771111153705700

                              Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U (e.g. hama nano)
                              Found Elonics E4000 tuner
                              Oversampling input by: 42x.
                              Oversampling output by: 1x.
                              Buffer size: 8.13ms
                              Tuned to 144642000 Hz.
                              Sampling at 1008000 Hz.
                              Output at 24000 Hz.
                              Exact sample rate is: 1008000.009613 Hz
                              Tuner gain set to automatic.
                              --------------------------------

                              something is off! the input sxntax is diffrent. as seen on the RTL site.
                              ------------------
                              For example, the following command will do reception of commercial wide-band FM signals:

                              rtl_fm -f 96.3e6 -W -s 200000 -r 48000 - | aplay -r 48k -f S16_LE
                              On a Mac, a similar command that works is as follows. This assumes that the sox package is installed, 'port install sox':

                              rtl_fm -f 90100000 -W -s 200000 -r 48000 - | play -r 48000 -t s16 -L -c 1 -
                              ---------------------------

                              Im not sure were the problem resides? Ive never encountered this, as that ive only used the tcp_server, ive never had SET the RTL to a specific FRZ. 144.14e6 results in: 144392000 Hz.

                              73 Mathison
                            • marco.kubon
                              Message 14 of 30 , May 19, 2013
                                Hi Mathison,

                                multimonNG needs an sample rate of 22050 Hz so you have to add -s 22050 to the commandline. You also need to add a "-" at the end of rtl_fm to get the data an the stdout.

                                sudo rtl_fm -f 144390000 -s 22050 - | multimonNG -a AFSK1200 -t raw /dev/stdin

                                It's also recommended to get the ppm with the kalibrate tool and add the ppm to rtl_fm with the -p option. I also use the -g option to set up the maximum gain based on the antenna.

                                If you don't want to use the sudo command you have to install the rtl-sdr.rules into /etc/udev/rules.d/ folder. Then the normal user can use the rtl dongle.

                                Best regards,
                                Marco

                                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "mathisono" <mathisono@...> wrote:

                                > sudo rtl_fm -f 144390000 | multimonNG -a AFSK1200 -t raw /dev/stdin
                                >
                                > This dosent yeald 144.390mhz????
                                >
                                > multimonNG (C) 1996/1997 by Tom Sailer HB9JNX/AE4WA
                                > (C) 2012 by Elias Oenal
                                > available demodulators: POCSAG512 POCSAG1200 POCSAG2400 EAS UFSK1200 CLIPFSK AFSK1200 AFSK2400 AFSK2400_2 AFSK2400_3 HAPN4800 FSK9600 DTMF ZVEI SCOPE
                                > Enabled demodulators: AFSK1200
                                > Found 1 device(s):
                                > 0: Generic, RTL2832U, SN: 77771111153705700
                                >
                                > Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U (e.g. hama nano)
                                > Found Elonics E4000 tuner
                                > Oversampling input by: 42x.
                                > Oversampling output by: 1x.
                                > Buffer size: 8.13ms
                                > Tuned to 144642000 Hz.
                                > Sampling at 1008000 Hz.
                                > Output at 24000 Hz.
                                > Exact sample rate is: 1008000.009613 Hz
                                > Tuner gain set to automatic.
                                > --------------------------------
                                >
                                > something is off! the input sxntax is diffrent. as seen on the RTL site.
                                > ------------------
                                > For example, the following command will do reception of commercial wide-band FM signals:
                                >
                                > rtl_fm -f 96.3e6 -W -s 200000 -r 48000 - | aplay -r 48k -f S16_LE
                                > On a Mac, a similar command that works is as follows. This assumes that the sox package is installed, 'port install sox':
                                >
                                > rtl_fm -f 90100000 -W -s 200000 -r 48000 - | play -r 48000 -t s16 -L -c 1 -
                                > ---------------------------
                                >
                                > Im not sure were the problem resides? Ive never encountered this, as that ive only used the tcp_server, ive never had SET the RTL to a specific FRZ. 144.14e6 results in: 144392000 Hz.
                                >
                                > 73 Mathison

                              • Kristoff Bonne
                                Message 15 of 30 , May 19, 2013
                                  Hi,

                                  I have it running now on a pogoplug reflashed with archlinux(arm). It runs about 15 to 20 % but that does not really surprise me as the ARM11 in that box does not have a FPU so all DSP code probably runs in a simulated FPU.

                                  Question,
                                  Has anybody used this setup successfully to receive the ISS. I left it running listening on 145.825 last night while they where supposted to be 3 passes of the ISS overhead but I did not capture anything.
                                  What antenna did you use? (all antenna's I have are for 50 ohm). I did try with a folded dipole but it is probably more tuned for the FM band (3 meter) so not that well suited for 2 meter.

                                  73
                                  kristoff - ON1ARF

                                  On 17-05-13 08:19, marco.kubon wrote:

                                  Hi Alex,

                                  my Pi is running with the 900 MHz setting. The rtl_fm process is running with aroung 15% usage, multimonNG needs around 2% and pymultimonaprs around 1%. Also a satellite tracker (carpcomm.com) and a house automation control (fhem.de) is running on that Pi and the load average is only around 0,6. So the device is powerfull enough and quite amazing.

                                  The decoding of the signal depends an the antenne and on the type of rtl device. I've an old Teratec device with fc0012 tuner wich is very deaf. The newer Teratec Cinergy TStick RC with E4000 tuner has a good reception, although I'm using a wideband discone antenna. One time I received a cubesat with a 11 element cross yagi.

                                  Regards
                                  Marco

                                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <alex@...> wrote:

                                  > Interesting. I was under the impression the RasPi didn't have the CPU power needed to decode an RTL-SDR stream. How's the performance? Does it do ok with weaker signals?
                                  >
                                  > -Alex
                                  >
                                  > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "marco.kubon" <dl1mx@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hello,
                                  > >
                                  > > Dominik Heidler, the origin author of the pymultimonaprs software,
                                  > <snip>

                                • Ray Wells
                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 19, 2013
                                    Kristoff,

                                    I can't comment on the radio hardware you're using but I will make a comment or two about antennas for ISS.

                                    I run a very simple rx only satgate using an old Icom IC-2A hand-held radio as the rx. My antenna is a vertically polarised folded dipole about 4m above ground. Even that basic antenna manages to hear most passes provided they are above 9 to 12 degrees, depending on the direction of the bird from my QTH. ISS is currently active so you should have heard something with your antenna, even cut for 3m. For high level passes I can hear good signals on a hand-held with a rubber ducky antenna.

                                    As mentioned above, ISS is currently active but it isn't always that way. The ham radio equipment is turned off whenever a docking procedure takes place - for arriving and departing modules.  If you don't hear ISS it's worth looking here - http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/timelines/5_2013_tl.html - to see if the ham gear has been turned off. Searching raw data for rs0iss* (wildcard) at aprs.fi can also provide valuable information. ISS aprs has been known to be silent for many weeks, on occasion.

                                    The aprs station in use at present is in the Russian sector of ISS and it transmits as RS0ISS-4. The performance of that station is far superior to the station in the American sector that uses RS0ISS-1. It is frequently not possible to decode RS0ISS-1, even on very high passes. There has been discussion about this on the ISS Fan Club web page.

                                    Ray vk2tv

                                    On 19/05/13 20:05, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

                                    Hi,

                                    I have it running now on a pogoplug reflashed with archlinux(arm). It runs about 15 to 20 % but that does not really surprise me as the ARM11 in that box does not have a FPU so all DSP code probably runs in a simulated FPU.

                                    Question,
                                    Has anybody used this setup successfully to receive the ISS. I left it running listening on 145.825 last night while they where supposted to be 3 passes of the ISS overhead but I did not capture anything.
                                    What antenna did you use? (all antenna's I have are for 50 ohm). I did try with a folded dipole but it is probably more tuned for the FM band (3 meter) so not that well suited for 2 meter.

                                    73
                                    kristoff - ON1ARF

                                    On 17-05-13 08:19, marco.kubon wrote:

                                    Hi Alex,

                                    my Pi is running with the 900 MHz setting. The rtl_fm process is running with aroung 15% usage, multimonNG needs around 2% and pymultimonaprs around 1%. Also a satellite tracker (carpcomm.com) and a house automation control (fhem.de) is running on that Pi and the load average is only around 0,6. So the device is powerfull enough and quite amazing.

                                    The decoding of the signal depends an the antenne and on the type of rtl device. I've an old Teratec device with fc0012 tuner wich is very deaf. The newer Teratec Cinergy TStick RC with E4000 tuner has a good reception, although I'm using a wideband discone antenna. One time I received a cubesat with a 11 element cross yagi.

                                    Regards
                                    Marco

                                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <alex@...> wrote:

                                    > Interesting. I was under the impression the RasPi didn't have the CPU power needed to decode an RTL-SDR stream. How's the performance? Does it do ok with weaker signals?
                                    >
                                    > -Alex
                                    >
                                    > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "marco.kubon" <dl1mx@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hello,
                                    > >
                                    > > Dominik Heidler, the origin author of the pymultimonaprs software,
                                    > <snip>

                                  • Marco Kubon
                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 20, 2013
                                      Hello Group,

                                      please turn off your IGates with pymultimonaprs and rtl dongle, because there
                                      are problems with special characters like the german ae and we do not add a * to
                                      the last digipeater. That disturbes the aprs.fi database at the moment.
                                      Hopefully Dominik and I can fix this problem. I will give you an update.

                                      73 de Marco
                                      DL1MX

                                      www.qrz.com/db/DL1MX
                                    • Kristoff Bonne
                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 22, 2013
                                        Hi Ray,

                                        I'm sorry for the late reply.

                                        On 20-05-13 01:45, Ray Wells wrote:

                                        Kristoff,

                                        I can't comment on the radio hardware you're using but I will make a comment or two about antennas for ISS.

                                        I run a very simple rx only satgate using an old Icom IC-2A hand-held radio as the rx. My antenna is a vertically polarised folded dipole about 4m above ground. Even that basic antenna manages to hear most passes provided they are above 9 to 12 degrees, depending on the direction of the bird from my QTH. ISS is currently active so you should have heard something with your antenna, even cut for 3m. For high level passes I can hear good signals on a hand-held with a rubber ducky antenna.

                                        I did give it a couple of tries but still no copy! :-(
                                        Perhaps it's the limited resolution of the dongle that is the issue here. I'll give it a try with a normal RX and a USB audio fob.
                                        If that works OK, that I know where to look.

                                        As said, as dongle has a 75 ohm connector, I currently limited to a fouled dipole antenna for the FM band.
                                        I'm not sure but I guess polarisation of the antenne is not important here as -if I am correct- the polarity of the received signal changes anyway depending on where the bird is located on the sky. (correct me if I am wrong).

                                        As mentioned above, ISS is currently active but it isn't always that way. The ham radio equipment is turned off whenever a docking procedure takes place - for arriving and departing modules.  If you don't hear ISS it's worth looking here - http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/timelines/5_2013_tl.html - to see if the ham gear has been turned off. Searching raw data for rs0iss* (wildcard) at aprs.fi can also provide valuable information. ISS aprs has been known to be silent for many weeks, on occasion.
                                        The aprs station in use at present is in the Russian sector of ISS and it transmits as RS0ISS-4. The performance of that station is far superior to the station in the American sector that uses RS0ISS-1. It is frequently not possible to decode RS0ISS-1, even on very high passes. There has been discussion about this on the ISS Fan Club web page.

                                        BTW. Isn't there another bird carrying an APRS payload?

                                        Ray vk2tv
                                        73
                                        kristoff - ON1ARF
                                      • asdil12net
                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 24, 2013
                                          The required patches are now included into multimonNG (newest git-version) and pymultimonaprs-0.8.4.

                                          The encoding problem should be fixed now:
                                          - APRS-PKG's are properly igated
                                          - Beacon status is UTF-8 in the config-file and is converted to ISO-whatever by pymultimonaprs, before being injected into igate.
                                        • marco.kubon
                                          Message 20 of 30 , May 24, 2013
                                            Hi,

                                            I'm glad that Dominik and Georg fixed the problems. Thank you very much.

                                            There is a step-by-step intruction in English how to set up a rx only APRS IGate on the raspbian distribution on my webpage. See http://www.kubonweb.de

                                            Regards,
                                            Marco

                                            Message 21 of 30 , May 24, 2013
                                              Q: I really like the idea of a .py program on the Rpi. I would like to use Xastir... Sorry! I need to pass messages! and later test Remote control with APRSpackets. The Igate for my station side, needs to have message RX/TX capacity from the terminal!

                                              Can any one comment on (RF -- RTL_fm -- multimonNG -- Xastir) or should I bypass multimonNG and just set up a sound modem ax25 chain?

                                              Mabey pymultimonaprs could make a baby with perlaprs? Hi Hi

                                              could pymultimonaprs support the xtnc? and RTL?

                                              http://w9if.net/iweb/perlaprs/#how

                                              73 Mathison
                                            • Robert Nickels
                                              Message 22 of 30 , May 24, 2013
                                                On 5/24/2013 11:07 AM, marco.kubon wrote:
                                                > There is a step-by-step intruction in English how to set up a rx only
                                                > APRS IGate on the raspbian distribution on my webpage. See
                                                > http://www.kubonweb.de

                                                Nicely done, Marco. I think many of us appreciate it when folks take
                                                the time to provide detailed instructions like this.

                                                73, Bob W9RAN
                                              • mathisono
                                                Message 23 of 30 , May 24, 2013
                                                  There is a known problem with kalibrate and its happening in kalibrate-rtl too "shared memory usage in kal". Has any one else tryed this program out on a PRi? because it docent work here.?

                                                  ------------------
                                                  pi@raspberrypi ~/kalibrate-rtl/src $ ./kal -s GSM900
                                                  shmat: Invalid argument
                                                  terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
                                                  what(): circular_buffer: shmat
                                                  Aborted
                                                  -----------------------

                                                  http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CANZ%2BaJyOeCqG%3D76MmotbbYce_VbtUdm3vjvyPV8z%3DBQOV2sYXw%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=openbts-discuss

                                                  73 Mathison

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , May 25, 2013
                                                    modify configure.ac:
                                                    --- configure.ac.old 2013-05-25 22:20:37.592145361 +0200
                                                    +++ configure.ac 2013-05-25 22:21:10.840457053 +0200
                                                    @@ -32,11 +32,7 @@

                                                    # OSX doesn't support System V shared memory
                                                    AC_CANONICAL_HOST
                                                    -case "$host_os" in
                                                    - darwin*)
                                                    - AC_DEFINE([D_HOST_OSX], [], [building for OSX])
                                                    - ;;
                                                    -esac
                                                    +AC_DEFINE([D_HOST_OSX], [], [building for OSX])

                                                    AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile
                                                    src/Makefile])

                                                    then run bootstrap
                                                    then run configure

                                                    then modify Makefile
                                                    --- Makefile.old 2013-05-25 22:22:04.487732884 +0200
                                                    +++ Makefile 2013-05-23 15:34:17.725407037 +0200
                                                    @@ -216,7 +216,7 @@
                                                    EGREP = /usr/bin/grep -E
                                                    EXEEXT =
                                                    FFTW3_CFLAGS =
                                                    -FFTW3_LIBS = -lfftw3 -lm
                                                    +FFTW3_LIBS = -lfftw3 -lm -lrt
                                                    GREP = /usr/bin/grep
                                                    INSTALL = /usr/bin/install -c
                                                    INSTALL_DATA = ${INSTALL} -m 644

                                                    if make still does not link, run the linker line manually with the -lrt added.

                                                    That made it work for me on archlinuxarm on the rpi.

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , May 25, 2013
                                                      I think I mostly need a tool, which talks kiss to the tnc and spits out the packages in TNC2-format (exactly like multimonNG does with sound input).

                                                      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "mathisono" <mathisono@...> wrote:

                                                      > Q: I really like the idea of a .py program on the Rpi. I would like to use Xastir... Sorry! I need to pass messages! and later test Remote control with APRSpackets. The Igate for my station side, needs to have message RX/TX capacity from the terminal!
                                                      >
                                                      > Can any one comment on (RF -- RTL_fm -- multimonNG -- Xastir) or should I bypass multimonNG and just set up a sound modem ax25 chain?
                                                      >
                                                      > Mabey pymultimonaprs could make a baby with perlaprs? Hi Hi
                                                      >
                                                      > could pymultimonaprs support the xtnc? and RTL?
                                                      >
                                                      > http://w9if.net/iweb/perlaprs/#how
                                                      >

                                                      > 73 Mathison

                                                    • mathisono
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , May 25, 2013
                                                        This text ??? if you would supply replacement files or up date the git repo, that would be appreciated.

                                                        73
                                                        Mathison

                                                        ----------------------
                                                        > modify configure.ac:
                                                        > --- configure.ac.old 2013-05-25 22:20:37.592145361 +0200
                                                        > +++ configure.ac 2013-05-25 22:21:10.840457053 +0200
                                                        > @@ -32,11 +32,7 @@
                                                        >
                                                        > # OSX doesn't support System V shared memory
                                                        > AC_CANONICAL_HOST
                                                        > -case "$host_os" in
                                                        > - darwin*)
                                                        > - AC_DEFINE([D_HOST_OSX], [], [building for OSX])
                                                        > - ;;
                                                        > -esac
                                                        > +AC_DEFINE([D_HOST_OSX], [], [building for OSX])
                                                        >
                                                        > AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile
                                                        > src/Makefile])
                                                        >

                                                        > then run bootstrap
                                                        > then run configure
                                                        >
                                                        > then modify Makefile
                                                        > --- Makefile.old 2013-05-25 22:22:04.487732884 +0200
                                                        > +++ Makefile 2013-05-23 15:34:17.725407037 +0200
                                                        > @@ -216,7 +216,7 @@
                                                        > EGREP = /usr/bin/grep -E
                                                        > EXEEXT =
                                                        > FFTW3_CFLAGS =
                                                        > -FFTW3_LIBS = -lfftw3 -lm
                                                        > +FFTW3_LIBS = -lfftw3 -lm -lrt
                                                        > GREP = /usr/bin/grep
                                                        > INSTALL = /usr/bin/install -c
                                                        > INSTALL_DATA = ${INSTALL} -m 644

                                                      • asdil12net
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , May 27, 2013
                                                          git clone git://github.com/asdil12/kalibrate-rtl.git
                                                          cd kalibrate-rtl
                                                          git checkout arm_memory

                                                          Then build like usually.

                                                          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "mathisono" <mathisono@...> wrote:

                                                          > This text ??? if you would supply replacement files or up date the git repo, that would be appreciated.
                                                          >

                                                          > 73
                                                          > Mathison
                                                          >
                                                          > ----------------------
                                                          > > modify configure.ac:
                                                          > > --- configure.ac.old 2013-05-25 22:20:37.592145361 +0200
                                                          > > +++ configure.ac 2013-05-25 22:21:10.840457053 +0200
                                                          > > @@ -32,11 +32,7 @@
                                                          > >
                                                          > > # OSX doesn't support System V shared memory
                                                          > > AC_CANONICAL_HOST
                                                          > > -case "$host_os" in
                                                          > > - darwin*)
                                                          > > - AC_DEFINE([D_HOST_OSX], [], [building for OSX])
                                                          > > - ;;
                                                          > > -esac
                                                          > > +AC_DEFINE([D_HOST_OSX], [], [building for OSX])
                                                          > >
                                                          > > AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile
                                                          > > src/Makefile])
                                                          > >

                                                          > > then run bootstrap
                                                          > > then run configure
                                                          > >
                                                          > > then modify Makefile
                                                          > > --- Makefile.old 2013-05-25 22:22:04.487732884 +0200
                                                          > > +++ Makefile 2013-05-23 15:34:17.725407037 +0200
                                                          > > @@ -216,7 +216,7 @@
                                                          > > EGREP = /usr/bin/grep -E
                                                          > > EXEEXT =
                                                          > > FFTW3_CFLAGS =
                                                          > > -FFTW3_LIBS = -lfftw3 -lm
                                                          > > +FFTW3_LIBS = -lfftw3 -lm -lrt
                                                          > > GREP = /usr/bin/grep
                                                          > > INSTALL = /usr/bin/install -c
                                                          > > INSTALL_DATA = ${INSTALL} -m 644

                                                        • newarroja
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jun 27, 2013
                                                            Guys, thanks for all the work. I've followed Marco's instructions "to the dot" and when I try to start the script, I get the following error:

                                                            "Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                            File "/usr/local/bin/pymultimonaprs", line 14, in <module>
                                                            from pymultimonaprs.gate import IGate
                                                            File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pymultimonaprs/gate.py", line 7, in <module>
                                                            import pkg_resources
                                                            ImportError: No module named pkg_resources"

                                                            and then it just hangs there or, sometimes, just exit.

                                                            Anyone help?

                                                            Thank you.

                                                            Paulo

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jun 28, 2013
                                                              Dear friends,

                                                              I've followed the steps in Marco's page and everything seemed to installl fine. Howver, upon trying to run the script, I get the following error:

                                                              "Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                              File "/usr/local/bin/pymultimonaprs", line 14, in <module>
                                                              from pymultimonaprs.gate import IGate
                                                              File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pymultimonaprs/gate.py", line 7, in <module>
                                                              import pkg_resources
                                                              ImportError: No module named pkg_resources"

                                                              I'm running the latest raspbian distro and the newest upgrades.

                                                              I've installed python-dev but to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

                                                              Paulo
                                                            • marco.kubon
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jun 30, 2013
                                                                Hi Paulo,

                                                                Please try to install the package ' python-pkg-resources' with apt-get. Could be that you need to call the 'python setup.py install' again.

                                                                Regards, Marco.