Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Raspberry Pi as WSPR transmitter up to 250Mhz

  • Robert Nickels
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 28, 2013
      On 3/28/2013 12:51 PM, psk31 wrote:
      > No surprises there,

      Not for an experienced guy like you Eddie, but I'm in awe! I'm off
      to make LPF - would appreciate any suggestion as to which band(s) are
      best - otherwise I'll probably try 20 meters. Will be my first
      go-round with WSPR.

      Nice work, all!

      73, Bob W9RAN
    • Guido
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1, 2013
        There is an update of WsprryPi, now supporting some new features that was requested by few:

        1. the slower brother of WSPR-2 is supported called WSPR-15. To use it, specify a frequency in the 25Hz sub-band that is just above the regular wspr band:
             LF   137400 - 137600
                  137600 - 137625 (WSPR-15)
             MF   475600 - 475800
                  475800 - 475825 (WSPR-15)
            160m  1838000 - 1838200
                  1838200 - 1838225 (WSPR-15)

        2. it is now possible to specify either a prefix or suffix in the callsign.
        Prefix may contain up to three characters before the callsign, e.g: EA8/PE1NNZ or F/PE1NNZ.
        Suffixes may contain a single alphanumeric character or double digit, e.g: PE1NNZ/p, PE1NNZ/1, PE1NNZ/99

        New features can be downloaded in github: https://github.com/threeme3/WsprryPi.git

        73, Guido
        PE1NNZ

        On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 2:55 AM, Robert Nickels <w9ran@...> wrote:
        On 3/28/2013 12:51 PM, psk31 wrote:
        > No surprises there,

        Not for an experienced guy like you Eddie, but I'm in awe!     I'm off
        to make LPF - would appreciate any suggestion as to which band(s) are
        best - otherwise I'll probably try 20 meters.   Will be my first
        go-round with WSPR.

        Nice work, all!

        73, Bob W9RAN

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jon Ove Johnsen
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013
          Hi Guido,
          Thanks for the last versions of WsprryPi.
          There are of course always more to wish for.
          The communication between us has not been perfect.
          I will try to summarize my comments.

          1. Calibration.
          I would like to suggest that the calibration should always be done for a particular RasPi board before any txing is performed.
          The calibrating could be done in a few steps by the command wspr LA3JJ JO59 10 10140200 C  offset, where offset  may be + or - 1, 10 ,100 . This because to use the editor vi and a new compilation is a bit complicated. When a board has been calibrated it has been so for life, so the value should be saved in a file in the home dir and be automatically used the next time when a new version is loaded.

          2. Hash coding.
          To be able to run txing of longer messages hash coding concept has been used. In my Arduino applications I have still not implemented this, but instead used the program from W3PM to generate the two messages on my W7 PC. When I in advance know the location I have made sets of the relevant dual symbol codes hard coded and select-able from my Arduino LCD screen. The hash coding seemed a bit over my head. At W3PM's pages there are examples of this, but so far I will not go into this for my part. (It would have been nice to have it implemented though as my Arduino is interfaced to a GPS module and calculates the Maidenhead location continuously.)

          3. Time sync.
          The WsprrPi uses time sync via the internet. It would have been nice to have sync from a GPS module also to be able to run it really portable.
          point a) here is to read and decode GPS time from a GPS module like I have done in my Arduino. Or pint b) to have an input pin (or two) on the RasPi where GPS generated minute time pulses could be received.

          4. Multiple band operation.
          I made a comment of this:   http://wsprnet.org/drupal/node/3994#comment-9882

           At the moment I am visiting family at loc JP54 and as my present WsprryPi needs wired internet connection I decided not to bring it along.
          I do hope I will be able to make it a fully portable rig in the future.
          At the age of 70 now I am learning a little more about C and Python coding every day, but it moves on very slowly.

          73
          Jon Ove, la3jj

          .

          There is an update of WsprryPi, now supporting some new features that was requested by few:

          1. the slower brother of WSPR-2 is supported called WSPR-15. To use it, specify a frequency in the 25Hz sub-band that is just above the regular wspr band:
               LF   137400 - 137600
                    137600 - 137625 (WSPR-15)
               MF   475600 - 475800
                    475800 - 475825 (WSPR-15)
              160m  1838000 - 1838200
                    1838200 - 1838225 (WSPR-15)

          2. it is now possible to specify either a prefix or suffix in the callsign.
          Prefix may contain up to three characters before the callsign, e.g: EA8/PE1NNZ or F/PE1NNZ.
          Suffixes may contain a single alphanumeric character or double digit, e.g: PE1NNZ/p, PE1NNZ/1, PE1NNZ/99

          New features can be downloaded in github: https://github.com/threeme3/WsprryPi.git

          73, Guido
          PE1NNZ

          On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 2:55 AM, Robert Nickels <w9ran@...> wrote:
          On 3/28/2013 12:51 PM, psk31 wrote:
          > No surprises there,

          Not for an experienced guy like you Eddie, but I'm in awe!     I'm off
          to make LPF - would appreciate any suggestion as to which band(s) are
          best - otherwise I'll probably try 20 meters.   Will be my first
          go-round with WSPR.

          Nice work, all!

          73, Bob W9RAN

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO-digest@yahoogroups.com
              Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • ferrymanr
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013
            I wonder if anyone has looked into using the RPi as a DDS synthyesiser. I would guess it might be possible to create up to 25MHz but not sure whether it is practically possible.
            Dick G4BBH