Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] NEWBIE: FROM SW MIAMI, FL LOOKING FOR MENTOR.

  • Ray Wells
    Message 1 of 86 , Mar 28, 2013
      Juan,

      I've already seen the offer from Charley k4gbb to help you and, you'll be in very good hands.

      Can I suggest that you grab one basic book that you can refer to from time to time. When I started with Linux about 1992/93 I bought Unix for Dummies (there wasn't a Linux for Dummies back then and Linux is VERY closely related to Unix). I found that such a basic book in "simple speak" was a great help. I also had an experienced Unix/Linux user available on the telephone for when I couldn't sort it out myself. I didn't have Internet back then so no Google :-(

      Linux can be very frustrating at times but it's worth the effort to be using an o/s that is so much more useful and flexible than Windoze.

      Good luck with it.

      Ray vk2tv

      On 28/03/13 22:37, k4lcd@... wrote:

      Good morning!

      Should be receiving my Pi tomorrow (already in the mail).
      I've been a licensed Amateur for more than 50 years, somewhat literate as a user of Windows and been involved with SDR now for almost ten years.

      Would like help learning Linux, about Linux Debian and the opportunities of using the R-Pi and its practical applications with Ham Radio.

      I live near the MDC Kendall Campus.

      Sincerely and 73

      Juan / K4LCD

    • K4LCD
      Message 86 of 86 , Apr 22 3:01 AM
        Good morning Paul and Greetings from Florida!

        I tried the suggestions in those  "Google Links" and read all the debate, which I suggest you also do. It does NOT work... All those millions of hits means mean that there are NEWBIES like me, from SW Miami trying to get to watch youtube videos on the Pi. Google has NOT been the Linux MENTOR that I have been looking for.
        Are you watching and listening youtube videos on your pi? If you are, why don't you share with us how you are doing it?

        Regards and 73

        Juan /K4LCD

        On 04/22/2013 12:00 AM, pmooney22 wrote:

        I took up the 'google it' challenge.

        For 'sound on the Raspberry Pi' I got nearly 7 million hits, including (for example):
        http://blog.scphillips.com/2013/01/sound-configuration-on-raspberry-pi-with-alsa/

        For 'playing youtube videos on raspberry pi' I got over 9 million hits, including:
        http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8157&start=100
        (install whitey & youtube-dl, then run youtube-dl)

        For 'software defined radio raspberry pi' I get over 100,000 pages, many using the RPi for wspr.

        Hope this helps

        Paul
        5B8BA

        --