RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Some progress

  • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
      You can reload the OS over and over and over if need be... Simply use something like Win32 Disk Imager.

      Jerry Kutche
      Electrical Supervisor

      Lehigh Cement Company LLC
      180 N. Meridian Road
      Mitchell, IN  47446
      Phone:  (812) 849-2191 ext. 251
      Fax:  (812) 849-5007
      Cell: (812) 583-0445
      jkutche@...
      www.lehighcement.com

      This e-mail may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.  Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

      From: John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...>
      To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, 24 August, 2012, 8:12

      John,

      The default user/password for the standard PI distributions (wheezy and raspbian) are pi/raspberry. You can’t log in as root, unless you set a root password, via sudo passwd. Sudo doesn’t need a password.

      The SD card has a small boot partition, formatted as a FAT partition, so can be seen by windows. The rest is ext4, which windows can’t see, So a freshly loaded image appears to windows as around 55 MB. When first booted, it will only use the first 2 GB. The first time you log in it should run a utility raspi-config, which allows you to resize the root partition to fill the card.

      My main interest is in using the pi as a packet node. The prototype TNC is shown on the front page of this group. This is a standard TNC-X, with a bit of stripboard superglued to the edge to carry a 26 way connector. I’ve designed a board with the connector on board, and the same size as the pi. I’m waiting for the boards to come back from the PCB factory. The board is stackable, so more than one TNC can be connected, and uses the i2c bus to communicate with the pi.

      From another John in Nottingham ,

      73, John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
          Hi All...  I have 4 here waiting for me to specify what projects I want to try on, what I have two that have 8GB cards and 2 that have 16 GB Cards..

          Beware you must read the compatability list to avoid obtaining periferals that do not work or do not work well. Do not just grab some of a store shelf thinking they will work.. They may, they may not...

           73 Jerry n9lya

        • Jim
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
            Flash cards will probably work you may need to format them as ext2. Windoze will not see that partition though.

            Sent from my iPhone

            =

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
                Hi John,

                I am using the Debian wheezy image and found the screen to small

                http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5021

                This shows settings for the configuration file
                I plugged my card into windows machine and edited with programmer's file editor which recognise linux end of line unlike notepad.

                Select a lower resolution for larger text and try different settings to get a full screen.

                If you want more on this I'll post my file so you can see the changes I made. I assume these settings are valid for various versions of the operating system not just debian.

                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, J FLETCHER <jfletcher427@...> wrote:

                > Hi All!
                >
                > Just a few lines to tell you what I'm up to.
                >
                > Back at home I tried using it with the HDMI input on our oldish LCD TV. It isn't Full HD and the text at start-up is incredibly small and hard to read. When the desktop appears the icons are small, too. Connecting the same TV via the phono socket the text and icons are a reasonable size, but the bottom of the picture is lost ("off the screen"). This makes playing some of the Python games impossible. I was able to browse the web, though. I've also downloaded Geany, Python and Xterm following the instructions on a YouTube tutorial.
                >
                > John G4EDX
                > Nottingham, England

              • J FLETCHER
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
                  Thanks very much, I'll try that when I have a few minutes to play.