Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Pi - Windows GUI

  • Dave B
    Message 1 of 36 , Mar 27 7:11 AM
      On 27 Mar 2013 at 9:12, Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Re: Pi - Windows GUI
      > Posted by: "Jeff FrancisĀ¢" jeff@... jeffrey_francis
      > Date: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:18 am ((PDT))
      >

      > It's not as simple as looking at the percentage of CPU used.
      > What's far more valuable is to look at the system load. Type
      > 'uptime' at a shell prompt:
      >
      > jfrancis@pi:~$ uptime
      > 22:49:33 up 3 days, 8:18, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.19, 0.47
      > jfrancis@pi:~$
      >
      > That's the load on a system that's sitting idle (shows about
      > 3-4% CPU utilization). Here's an idle system running X on a virtual
      > VNC desktop (with nobody connected to VNC):
      >
      > jfrancis@pi:~$ uptime
      > 22:52:40 up 3 days, 8:21, 1 user, load average: 1.21, 0.60, 0.57
      > jfrancis@pi:~$
      >
      > It's running about 5% CPU, just slightly more than without the
      > desktop.
      >
      > Not that much difference, right? Wrong. Dead wrong. Look at the
      > load average. In the first case, it's 0.00. In the second case, it's
      > 1.21.

      <Snip>

      > Run an X server on your big fancy machine
      > (there are
      > free versions for Mac, Windows, and (obviously) linux). ssh into your
      > pi using the -X option and run them that way. You'll get the full
      > benefit of the graphical application, but the heavy lifting of running
      > the X server falls on your powerful laptop/desktop rather than the pi,
      > and leverages that fancy accelerated graphics card you shelled out all
      > that cash for.

      <Snip>

      > Jeff N0GQ

      Hi Jeff..

      For the rest of us, who are not 'nix guru's, perhaps you'd like to
      explain how you got the CPU% from the "uptime" figures. For instance,
      just what do the three figures show, in detail?

      Also, though I know how to SSH to the Pi (and other 'nix boxes) with
      tools such as PuTTY (even run it as a sort of crude VPN, forwarding ports
      each way when needed) I don't have a clue how you'd run an X
      server/terminal on a local (to me) machine and connect it to the (remote)
      target. I know it can be done, as many have mentioned it on this and
      other lists, but as yet, I've not seen any definitive "how to" showing
      what to do, to get that working.

      Please don't say "read the man pages"... They are c**p for anyone trying
      to learn this stuff from scratch, but are very good as a reminder if you
      once knew it all and just need a push back in the right direction. Also,
      though they often give nausiating detail as to what a tool or funcion
      does, they don't actually tell you HOW to use it, and why you'd want or
      need to use it.

      Lastly, though all the above is presumably written down somwhwere, it's
      rarely if ever in one place, and we all have other lives, jobs, family
      etc that have a priority setting way above fiddling with radios and Pi's
      etc. At least I'm told that by domestic management... Whatever, there
      is little time to do hard reaseach to find out for ourselves first hand,
      but if we were "educated" by someone who already knows, perhaps we could
      contribute something more, and sooner.

      In particular, some things "Not" to do, and importantly "why" not, is
      good to know too. As I wish I knew some of those in the past before
      making a time consuming (to correct the issue) mistake resulting in more
      than one project being abandoned due to lack of time... That is why for
      now, my Pi and it's accessories are in a box on the shelf. I just don't
      have the time to figure stuff out from the ground up these days. I know
      from talking to many others, they are in much the same boat too.

      Cheers.

      Dave G0WBX.
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 11, 2013
        Web-server is up most of the time, NOT 100%.... The URL is correct.

        If you want to see my repeater dashboard it is: http://n1jmm.no-ip.org:81/ircddbgateway.php

        Only 2 of my web-servers are open to internet

        -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B