Re: Pi as aWiFi hotspot in the shack?

  • MattB
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 24, 2013
      It doesn't look like this has been brought up yet:

      http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=14100

      Points here:
      http://sirlagz.net/2012/08/09/how-to-use-the-raspberry-pi-as-a-wireless-access-pointrouter-part-1/

      -73-
      Matt KC2O

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "d29602960" <d29602960@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > This is a long shot but I wonder if anyone can help?
      >
      > I have had a raspberry-pi since last August and am only recently getting the time to "play" with it Hi.
      >
      > One of the little projects I have been trying to get going is a wi-fi hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger project.
      >
      > The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi dongle (in "master" mode) such that the raspi would appear on a list of wi-fi hot-spots for anyone close by using say a laptop or whatever.
      >
      > Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages with a "welcome" page by default. So far I have been able to achieve my goal by using the "Berry-web server" software which works well enough but still requires the home wi-fi router as part of the package.
      >
      > Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone" server application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far, trawling the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an existing home wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the "stand-alone" form to serve a web-page.
      >
      > I wonder if anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a project on the net?
      >
      > Regards to all es 73,s
      >
      > Des (M0AYF)

    • d29602960
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 27, 2013
        Hi Matt and the Group,

        Following some research on the internet and some strong encouragement from another memeber of the group (Dave N0TRQ) I have had some modest success and now have a working WiFi server in the shack.

        In fact it does everything I hoped it would except (so far) all attempts to make it anything other than an "open" access server have failed.

        I have re-written the hostapd.conf file a number of times but as soon as I attempt any form of WPA security it stops working :-( Having said that, an open server is not really an issue for my current requirements.

        Regards to all,

        Des (M0AYF)