Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Adafruit's own linux flavor Occidentalis

  • Perry Chamberlain
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 12, 2012
      I loaded the distro as well, the program started up, but alerted to a linux panic error, just before the script completed. I think its looking for a wifi dongle.
      I'm going to post a question on the adafruit forum tody.

      Ke6anm

      Sent from my iPad

      On Sep 11, 2012, at 9:15 PM, "The Silver Fox" <alan.r.hill@...> wrote:

      I downloaded it and wrote the image to my SD card.  When I plugged it into the TV I get no output from the RPI.  The lights on the board are cycling as they do when I load other images so I think the OS is running.  Nothing I can do with it without HDMI display.

      73,

      Alan – W6ARH

      http://mobokits.stormwarning.org/

      http://wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 12, 2012
        I didnt notice you wrote you saw the leds cycling, on and off. The connection may be an issue, to the tv.
        My first connection, to a vga monitor through a vga adapter to the rca video out recepticle, had terrible resoution,  480 at best. Big blocky fuzzy fonts etc.
         My second attempt to my new  46 inch hd tv through the hdmi, was dead, no image o the tv.
        I disconneted the tv and reconnect to the hdmi outlet that was connected to the  blueray player worked great, with fantastic resolution. It turned out, this is the secound tv that had 1or more hdi out lets that didt work, from the factory.
        Check out the adafruit forum.

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 12, 2012

          HDMI is not enabled in RPI configuration file.  I got it to work by uncommenting the HDMI settings.

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 12, 2012
            Excellent, thanks for the info, much appreciated.
            After you got it going, how did it look compared to raspian wheezy distro?
            Did you try to use a wifi dongle?

            Ke6anm

            Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 14, 2012

              I have no tried a wireless dongle other than the 2.4GHz Microsoft keyboard and mouse.  It doesn’t work correctly under any RPI image.

              In addition, it does not work with any Linux distribution I’ve tried other than Fedora.  The issue is that the keyboard driver appears to present repeating characters to the OS even when I am not pressing a key.  So, the only way I can get them to work is with non-wireless keyboard and mouse.  Unfortunately for me, my portable does not have a functional touchpad and the shift on the keyboard doesn’t work.  So, I either have to use a direct connect keyboard or do the development and work on another computer.  Ugh.

              73,

              Alan – W6ARH

              Mobokits http://mobokits.stormwarning.org/

              UHFSDR http://wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html

              Adafruit has a altered version of wheezy, called occidentalis ( latin for black raspberry).
              It gives wifi dongle drivers, etc and scripts to use i2c and other hardware, sensor devices that can connect to her selection of raspberrry pi sheilds and accesories.
              Check them out at Adafruit.com.
              Pretty neat site.

            • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 14, 2012
                Hi Alan have tou verified the device is on the RPi Compatability List at www.raspberrypi.org

                What model wireless KB and Mouse do u have...

                73

                PS you can also SSH to the RPi No Graphics, but you can access it from another PC...

                Jerry Kutche
                Electrical Supervisor

                Lehigh Cement Company LLC
                180 N. Meridian Road
                Mitchell, IN  47446
                Phone:  (812) 849-2191 ext. 251
                Fax:  (812) 849-5007
                Cell: (812) 583-0445
                jkutche@...
                www.lehighcement.com

                This e-mail may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.  Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 14, 2012

                  Yes.  There are reports from others that the Microsoft 2.4GHz keyboard/mouse is problematic.  I was only trying to inform others of the issues.

                  73,

                  Alan – W6ARH

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 14, 2012
                        Could you give us the Model Numbers, etc..? That would help those of us who may be in the market for a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

                        73,
                        Larry Keith, KQ4B

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 14, 2012
                          www.raspberrypi.org

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 14, 2012
                            Gear Head
                            Model # KB5175W

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 15, 2012
                              I am barely educated in linux! Could you please tell me how to summon up the configuration file and then how to edit and save the changes? sorry about the elementary nature of the question!

                              I can see the terminal through the composite video and now have a hdmi to dvi cable and monitor.

                              andy g0sfj

                              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "The Silver Fox" <alan.r.hill@...> wrote:

                              > HDMI is not enabled in RPI configuration file. I got it to work by uncommenting the HDMI settings.
                              >
                              > 73,
                              >
                              > Alan â€" W6ARH
                              >

                              > <http://mobokits.stormwarning.org/> http://mobokits.stormwarning.org/
                              >
                              > <http://wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html> http://wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html

                            • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 15, 2012
                                In terminal type raspi-config try That. Let us know how we can help,,,