763Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Adventure of the Day #1

  • John Ferrell
    Feb 23, 2013
      The CustomPi image was a little bigger than my Kingston 8G card would hold. It seems to be working OK with the ADAFRUIT image. I wanted both of these anyway. I bought a 16G  SD to use with the CustomPI image.
      My motive for the post was to try to get others to share their misadventures. By sharing, we don't have to all experience the same problems.

      On 2/22/2013 8:30 PM, John D. Hays wrote:

      "To use an image file, you will need to unzip it and write it to a suitable SD card using the UNIX tool dd. Windows users should use Win32DiskImager. Do not try to drag and drop or otherwise copy over the image without using dd or Win32DiskImager – it won’t work. If you’re still not clear on what to do, the community on the Raspberry Pi Wiki has written aguide for beginners on how to set up your SD card." == http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

      On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM, John <jferrell13@...> wrote:

      The day started out well. The second Raspberry Pi that I ordered on the 19th from Adafruit came today (the 22nd) so I thought I would get it online. I took a brand new 8G Kingston sd out and started to load it. The image program balked, saying that the card was locked. Try the other Win 7 machne, same thing! Google coughs up a lengthy todo list. http://oddsnsods.net/blog/?p=100 looked scarey but promising. All these years and I never saw a command line disk partition program before today. I deleted the partition in the sd card as instructed and went back to the disk image program. Now it says the image won't fit on the 8G sd card. OK, I am no stranger to trouble, I will restore the format on the sd card and work up a plan for the next step. Uh-Oh! The windows format command says it cannot do the format. So here I am reporting back. Some where there is a special format program for sd cards, I need to find it.
      Next, I suspect th image sved was a complete image and not just the install programs. The empty locations were probably included in the dump. I also suspect the Dump-restore was done by Linux and it is more efficient with the sd card.
      That is the story for today.
      I doubt I am ready to build that image from the insructions...YET.
      de John W8CCW

      --
      John Ferrell W8CCW
      That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic