487Running SDR on the R-Pi

  • Robert Nickels
    Jan 11, 2013
      I've changed the subject so this will show up in search. Here is the
      step-by-step procedure that I posted on Dec 18: "Dongle Server for
      Raspberry Pi - configuration instructions/"

      I've followed this guide myself when I've upgraded and it works - you
      just may need to sudo more or fewer places based on your set up. After
      the installation is complete you should also more rtl-sdr.rules from
      /rtl-sdr to /etc/udev/rules.d so you won't need to be root in order to
      run things.

      This approach breaks the SDR task into a client-server configuration,
      where the Pi serves I/Q data from the DVB-T dongle over the network to
      an SDR program such as SDR# running on a PC. As I said before, doing
      this at 1 megasample per second consumes 30% of the Pi CPU. Cranking
      up the full capability of the dongle takes 60%. In my opinion, this
      is not "SDR on a Pi", it's a Dongle Server on a Pi.

      What is your definition? Many people automatically think of fancy
      screens with a spectrum and waterfall displays and loads of features,
      but if you want to use a Pi as a receiver, "simpler is better". A Pi
      and a dongle will send ADS-B raw data from 1090 Mhz over the internet
      all day long, using 30% of the CPU. No audio, no tuning knobs no fancy
      graphics - but it is truly a software defined radio that performs this
      function as well as $500+ models.

      The Youtube videos that come up in my search are demonstrating the
      client-server approach that I describe above. Others have attempted
      to run the ghpsdr-3 hardware_server and DSP_server on the Pi, and one of
      our members, Mathison kj6dzb, has posted here about the barriers he
      encountered.

      Please post specific links if you're seeing something I'm missing.

      73, Bob W9RAN
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic