2740RE: Preparing to purchase Raspberry Pi

  • nikkadaem
    Feb 6, 2014

      Hello Robert,

      If you are new to linux I'd recommend a couple of resources for you.

      Rute's User Tutorials is a free book that is actually used in many Intro classes.

      Another really good resource is http://linuxcommand.org/

      Bill wrote a free book based on his website that is more of a textbook. I was a volunteer proof reader on the early version of the book and can say that it is an easy read.

      The key with linux, if you are not familiar with it already, is to not let yourself go into information overload. It is a very simple OS, but so much is written about it knowing where to start can be overwhelming. The above references should be a good starting point for you to get a handle on at least what you are looking at.

      Depending on what you are planning on doing with your RPi it would be a good idea to learn a little about Python, although this is not required, it wouldn't hurt. But learn how to navigate linux and the basic commands first.

      Good luck!

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic