      http://www.adafruit.com/products/1039

      Tadd Torborg
      tadd@...

      On Feb 4, 2014, at 4:25 PM, westlakegeek@... wrote:

      As far as the case, a friend bought me a Raspberry Pi on Amazon that came with a nice case I’ve yet to be able to find anywhere else.  The kit came with the Pi, 8gb Micro SD card and adapter, power supply, HDMI cable, bread board, misc. electronic parts, a ribbon cable that plugs into the Pi’s GPIO pins, and a header board that plugs into the bread board and that ribbon cable, and a case that has an open slot for the ribbon cable.  Just leave the ribbon cable hanging out of the case, when you want to use it, rig up the adapter with the bread board!

      Sent from Windows Mail

      From: Tadd Torborg
      Sent: ‎Tuesday‎, ‎February‎ ‎4‎, ‎2014 ‎2‎:‎02‎ ‎PM
      To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com

      Brent,

        you need
      • the PI $40,
      • an SD card (a 16GB card is $13),
      • a USB keyboard and mouse,
      • an HDMI video monitor and cable (HDMI to DVI and HDMI to VGA adapters are out there),
      • a micro-USB wall plug power supply (cellphone power supply)
      • Ethernet or WiFI connection to the Internet.

       A case is only handy if you aren’t going to be attaching other things to the PI.  I’d put it off until you get used to it.  Just make sure the thing doesn’t sit on metal bits when you are playing with it.  There are many fantastic cases out there as well as some really inexpensive ones.

      You can get a USB WiFi item but Ethernet works for a first start.  I haven’t played with a USB WiFi item yet.

      You will also need a computer to set up the SDCard, an SDcard reader-writer for said computer, and some free software..  See Raspberry PI NOOB in your search engine.  I used a MacOSX machine to set up mine but MSWIndows support is more common I suspect.

      You may only need the monitor, keyboard and mouse for a few minutes during startup if you are going to remote control the PI from your workstation.  HDTV sets work for a few minutes.  The PI has an HDMI connector, just like a modern DVD player.

      I’m pretty new to the PI as well and also not a Linux hacker by any stretch.

      The really cool thing about a $40 computer is that it is only $40.  The SD card thing is also nice because you can get a bunch of them and try different things on different cards.  Easy to swap.  Easy to start over.

        Tadd

      On Feb 4, 2014, at 2:33 PM, Robert Alexander <ralexander22@...> wrote:

      Hi

      I'm about to purchase a Pi and would like to know what I should order to get started learning about the Pi and Linux. I have no real knowledge of the Linux OS. I have been searching online for the different packages of hardware and have just about decided on the package from MCM Electronics. Here is a link to the one that I think should be right for me. I would appreciate it if someone could check it out and advise me if it is a good starter pack. Thanks in advance.

      http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14276

      Robert

      KE5YQE

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic