2697Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Why Pi?

  • Brock Winfrey
    Feb 4, 2014
      Thanks for the answers guys.  I am now familiar with the program SCRATCH GPIO.  Do any of you think I can successfully to get the pi to do TR sequencing for a seperate tx and rx?  I think it will work.  It is a simple program.  One thing I am concerned about is getting the pi to automatically go to that small program on power  up and not needing a monitor and keyboard to launch it every time I want to get on the air.  I could just buy the PICKAXE HATCHET from QRPME KITS and be done with it if need be.  I just hate to spend all this money on pi stuff and have my investment go to waste.  I was persuaded by my 3 programmer kids who use Java for the DOD to go with the pi.  I will still keep it for future projects, but mainly DO YOU ALL AGREE I SHOULD ABANDON THE TR PROJECT ON THE PI??  I need some united guidance here.  And thanks again for responding.  Brock AE4GM.  PS.I'm using a homebrew TR switching circuit now based on the 555 timer chip.

      On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM, <ae4gm2003@...> wrote:

      I'm new to the Pi and ham radio. I purchased it for the purpose of Transmit/Receive control.  QRPME has the PICKAXE HATCHET  that does this.  Is there a program I can download to use the Pi GPIO pins to perform TR sequencing?  Brock ae4gm2003@...

      ---In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, <squirrox@...> wrote:

      Brian,

      One project I am working on is to use the pi as a standalone beacon transceiver for WSPR ans QRSS.  Basically you can run the WsPR. Software on the
      Pi hook up a soundcard and a simple rx to it. On the Tx side a simple dds module plus a low power PA controlled by the pi. For a display either run it remotely or hook up a 3.4 inch LcD display. No need to use a power hungry PC for this. It is a very QRP solution.

      Other projects I know of are, use of a pi to implement an SSB tx and to implement a Web accesible Software Designed Radio, both by Guido, PE1NNZ....

      Hope this helps,

      Steve G0XAR

      On Monday, 3 February 2014, Nick Kennedy <kennnick@...> wrote:

      That question will definitely have as many answers as there are users.  There are no wrong answers, but I was less interested in running existing apps than in writing some of my own.  I have used the PI to learn about getting around in the Linux OS and to get better at programming in C.  As such, I usually run in the console mode, as opposed to in a GUI.

      I also have a couple of Arduinos.  They're very useful and fun, but for the resources on the board, there's no comparison.  BTW, the Arduino sketch language is based on GCC, which is also the native C compiler on the Pi.  I did recently work on programming an Arduino project for a couple of months and did manage to use all available memory.  That's not likely to happen on the Pi.  In truth though, it won't happen often on the Arduino for typical uses.

      I was a bit amazed to just plug in a cable from my home router and be on the internet instantly -- no setting up protocols, passwords, or user IDs.  And being able to use Putty / SSH and samba is pretty amazing.  I can operate the Pi from a window on my (Windows) PC and I also have a directory window that's looking at the Pi's directory structure.  I can drag files to and from my Pi while working at my PC even though they are totally different OSs. Edit in Windows, compile in Linux ... hard to believe.

      73,

      Nick, WA5BDU

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic