2682Re: Why Pi?

  • Nick Kennedy
    Feb 3, 2014
      That question will definitely have as many answers as there are users.  There are no wrong answers, but I was less interested in running existing apps than in writing some of my own.  I have used the PI to learn about getting around in the Linux OS and to get better at programming in C.  As such, I usually run in the console mode, as opposed to in a GUI.

      I also have a couple of Arduinos.  They're very useful and fun, but for the resources on the board, there's no comparison.  BTW, the Arduino sketch language is based on GCC, which is also the native C compiler on the Pi.  I did recently work on programming an Arduino project for a couple of months and did manage to use all available memory.  That's not likely to happen on the Pi.  In truth though, it won't happen often on the Arduino for typical uses.

      I was a bit amazed to just plug in a cable from my home router and be on the internet instantly -- no setting up protocols, passwords, or user IDs.  And being able to use Putty / SSH and samba is pretty amazing.  I can operate the Pi from a window on my (Windows) PC and I also have a directory window that's looking at the Pi's directory structure.  I can drag files to and from my Pi while working at my PC even though they are totally different OSs. Edit in Windows, compile in Linux ... hard to believe.

      73,

      Nick, WA5BDU

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic