2679Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] RE: Why Pi?

  • Stephen black
    Feb 3, 2014
      Another great feature, You screw up and you unplug it, repower it and start fresh with a renewed OS. Try that with a laptop and you'll get start up delays and memory checks. Steve  KB1CHU

      On 2/3/2014 9:19 AM, am_fm_radio@... wrote:

      Brian-
      You pose an interesting question- "I want to explore the Linux software" argument but wonder if I'm missing something and there are real advantages in using the RPI rather than the desktop/laptop machine".

      The PI offers I/O such that it makes easy interface to "real world" applications. Take a window's machine and add a circuit to check a push button and if depressed, click a relay...just how easy is that to interface to any PC? Traditional Parallel (and serial too) ports have gone by the wayside. The TNC-PI is premier  integration of the PI and another box. Look at the advantage the Raspberry PI has using the TNC-PI over using the older TNC-X The PI can decode packets using either one of them. Look at the cost difference of doing it both ways.

      Size, cost, and complexity. Points of complexity-
      No power switch.
      No expandible/configurable CPU RAM.
      No recommended container
      Expansion is limited to USB buss
      Use of a inexpensive electrically small, physically small device for traditional "disk" type storage.

      Important in your talk I believe is you should differentiate between  ARDUINO and Raspberry PI. Expecially if and when ham operators are looking a starting-making-developing some sort of project.

      If you look at both in simplestic terms. The ARDUINO has no operating system available. You load a program-"SKETCH" and it runs... You can turn it on, turn it off, it will not do anything else till you load a new sketch into it. The PI has an operating system, O/S there are things you can do with a series of commands. including - run a program.

      ---In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, <g0ukb@...> wrote:

      I'm doing a talk to my local radio club in a few weeks on the Raspberry Pi and trying to decide how to orient it.

      IMHO the RPI is a great machine for:
      Having another cheap computer in the shack
      Learning - particularly Linux and programming but also playing with networking, wifi etc - because if you screw things up then simply reflashing the SD fixes things
      Low-power computing such as running 24*7 for a webcam, webserver etc - WSPTR falls into this category (why is there no decent Linux software for monitoring the NCDXF beacons and logging signal strength? - a brilliant RPI app)
      Playing with interfacing via the GPIO and building projects traditionally built on an Arduino/PIC. The Pi is faster, got good gfx,easy/USB internet access, SD card for data logging etc. so can do much more

      I will talk about the TNC-PI but this is something I know little about - what cool things could I use it for other than APRS? Also I'll mention a cheap D-STAR gateway using a DC-Dongle - indeed our local MB6EL gateway is RPI based?

      What I'm struggling with is, why FLDIGI, Gpredict etc? A lot of folks here are using the RPI for this sort of application which I just simply use my desktop machine for. Since the RPI needs screen, keyboard and mouse for this sort of application what is the advantage over running on bigger hardware? I guess I can see the - "my other machine is Windows and I want to explore the Linux software" argument but wonder if I'm missing something and there are real advantages in using the RPI rather than the desktop/laptop machine.

      One thought I had was using the RPI without screen or keyboard when mobile - perhaps a 16*2 LCD matrix or simply using Festival or Espeak to sp eak output and some simple voice recognition input. Perhaps this might be useful for a simple logging program - the RPI connects to the rig so all it needs to voice recognise is the phonetics of the station worked and the RST numbers. Anyone else got any whacky ideas?

      Any thoughts would be appreciated.

      Brian G0UKB

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic