2021Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Where to start

  • Ray Wells
    Jul 19, 2013
      I've moved away from the Pi for my gateway because I wanted to use an old ISA slot Baycom USCC4 to drive the radios. I'm setting up an old 600MHz PIII for that job. However, I did run dixprs on the Pi using a 4 port FTDI USB/RS232 adaptor to drive TNC's. I also upload wx beacons with dixprs. It's a simple process which, like the rest of dixprs, works extremely well.

      If I was to complain about any aspect of dixprs it would be its cpu load of around 25 percent. This might be a consideration for a Pi that's heavily loaded with other applications. Xastir, by way of comparison, sits around 10 percent and it has a gui interface.

      Ray vk2tv

      On 19/07/13 20:26, pa0esh wrote:

      In addition. dixprs is another fine program with a very small fotoprint and the added functionaliteit to place your own bulletins etc via a very simple method using plain text files. Works out of the box on rpi.
      https://sites.google.com/site/dixprs/
      the method to put your own bulletins is described in the groups discussion page

      https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/dixprs/spool$20directory$20/dixprs/ayxvTw6B994

      Hope it helps.

      Erik

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "marco.kubon" <dl1mx@...> wrote:

      > Hi Kristoff,
      >
      > You can try aprx which you will find on http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en
      >
      > It's running fine on the Raspi.
      >
      > 73 de Marco
      > DL1MX
      >
      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Kristoff Bonne <kristoff@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >

      > > On 15-07-13 23:55, kb9mwr wrote:
      > > >
      > > > A software approach to DTMF decoding could be done with a the
      > > > multimon-ng software package.
      > > >

      > > Actually, I have been looking for a quick and easy way to generate APRS
      > > message. I use APRS via the internet to "broadcast" some information
      > > about events in out local radio-club (ON4OS).
      > >
      > > However, it would be nice (and more "ham" like) to actually broadcast
      > > this via a radio. As I am pretty close to the local APRS digipeater, I
      > > guess all that is needed is a device that generates a AFSK stream, one
      > > of these cheap chinese HTs and a a little bit of interfacing.
      > >

      > > I know that using a pi for this is probably really "overkill" and that
      > > this can probably also be done using an arduino (a nice exercise in DDS
      > > :-)) but a unix device would be a nice "quick hack" to get something in
      > > the air.
      > >

      > > I know there are programs like xastir, aprsd and othters, but I am
      > > looking for something to just generate a APRS packet and pipe it out to
      > > the audio-port.
      > >

      > > 73
      > > kristoff - ON1ARF

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic