1999Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Where to start

  • Kristoff Bonne
    Jul 15, 2013
      Hi Stephen,

      This launchpad surely looks interesting.
      Based on what I found, there seams to be a couple of different versions of it: the launchpad, C2000, stellaris, Tiva C. I haven't yet found out what is the exact difference between them.
      It is nice to see that the MCUs are in DIP-format which is good for designing your own project.

      One thing, I'm just wondering how big the community around the MSP430 is. Normally, I use hackaday (http://hackaday.com/) as a reference to get an idea on how many people are using a certain technology and I think I find 3 to 4 times as much AVR or PIC based projects then MSP-based designs.

      73
      kristoff - ON1ARF

      On 12-07-13 15:34, Stephen wrote:

      Hi Guys,

      If you really want to save money you can buy a Texas Instruments MSP430 launchpad board which, when I bought a few, were $4.30 each delivered anywhere in the world. You can program them in a variant of the Arduino programming language called Energia and for the $4.30 you get a development board, USB cable, 2 x processor chips and a watch crystal for use as an external oscillator. Here in the UK the more powerful of the two processor chips cost about $1 each in quantities of 10.

      The good thing about the Ti board is that you can also use it to program a chip when it is on the target system. With many of the later Arduino boards you cannot do this as the processor is soldered on to the board. I have a lot of time for the Arduino and, back in the day, it was the only show in town. But now, for a beginner, there is a lot more choice at a lower price.

      73s Steve G0XAR
      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Am Fm <am_fm_radio@...> wrote:

      > Joe  et al,
      > The Arduino is a whole series of models. There is a micro to mega version. All are related and very close to identical operation. some offer more or less I/O or serial ports.  Actually the ARDUINO chip and maybe 5 components is all that is necessary to make a functoning controller. Then there are a ton of shields.Shields are small add on boards that do certain things. There is a network shield, display shield and a relay shields. Probably about a 100 including sensors, like for temperature or gyro. If you go to www.arduino.org, your curiosity will be satisfied.
      > In all cases,
      > Arduino controller is programmed by running an application/editor on another computer then downloading that information to the arduino, through a USB-serial cable. The program you run on the host computer compliles your program and allows it to run in assembly language on the Arduino. All of this is open source and free for the download.
      > I have an Arduino UNO which is a favorite first purchase of hams. The chip is socketed so it can be removed and then inserted into your project once developed. Replacement chips are $5 in single lot quanities.
      >
      > I picked up a Arduino for Free with Amazon.com points at Amazon.com (all hams are cheap!!!) I got a kit with the UNO, a breadboard, a wall wart, a bundle of jumpers for breadboarding and a usb cable. It sells for under $50 including shipping.
      >
      > I am sure there is an Arduino Yahoo group probably one for hams.
      > Regards,
      > Larry W8LM

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic