1878Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Raspberry Pi/What OS To Use

  • John Ferrell
    Jun 23, 2013
      FWIW: Debian 7/ Gnome Classic Desktop, I choose this combination to learn Linux so that I would be better prepared to work with Raspberry Wheezy.
      Here is the report ...
      Project:
      Debian 7.0.0    i386
      Net Install
      {curly braces are comments}
      {whenever asked, choose classic Gnome}
      Parameters:
          Debian Desk
          Print service
          SSH
          Standard System Utilities
      visudo:    john        ALL=(ALL:ALL)     NOPASSWD=ALL
      ssh -X        {I don't think this neccessary}

      {UltraVNC would log in from Win 7, but  no sound and required host permission}
      Install xrdp

      {Now Win7 Remote Desktop works including sound. No indication on the Host}

      {a 20G drive was used and indicated  14G free at this point}

      On 6/16/2013 9:32 PM, John Ferrell wrote:

      I think I tried that and had problems, but I will try it again. I am working hard and learning fast. I bought 10 HDD's on EBAY to work with so I don't have to destroy anything to try something different.  Gnome 3 is not likely to ever work with Windows Remote Desktop.
      That is why I was working with xfce.

      On 6/16/2013 9:06 PM, John D. Hays wrote:
      If you are doing a native Linux desktop on a PC, try Ubuntu.http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop --its a derivative of Debian but much better developed for the desktop user.

      If you are running Windows on a PC, try xrdp  (apt-get install xrdp) and use Window's remote desktop. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/connect-to-another-computer-using-remote-desktop-connection

      John Ferrell W8CCW
      "The pessimist complains about the wind;
      The optimist expects it to change;
      The realist adjusts the sails."
           William A. Ward

      --
      John Ferrell W8CCW
      "The pessimist complains about the wind;
      The optimist expects it to change;
      The realist adjusts the sails."
           William A. Ward
  • Show all 20 messages in this topic