1862Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Raspberry Pi/What OS To Use

  • Ray Wells
    Jun 20, 2013
      My mistake got the better of me.

      Looks like I missed Wheezy going from testing to stable just a few weeks back ....

      From http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/

      "Debian 7.1 was released June 15th, 2013. Debian 7.0 was initially released on May 4th, 2013. "

      I run vanilla Debian testing on my "radio" computers and Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE, which is their version of Debian testing) on my laptop. The desktop is still an older Ubuntu based Linux Mint (12 from memory) but this will move to LMDE when its time expires.

      Ray vk2tv

      On 20/06/13 08:59, Ray Wells wrote:

      Thanks Paul, I stand corrected.

      If you want to experience the ultimate confusion regarding "rolling" releases take a look here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

      Ray vk2tv

      On 19/06/13 19:42, pmooney22 wrote:

      Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

      Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

      Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

      I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

      Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

      Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

      paul 5B8BA

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:
      > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
      > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
      > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
      > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
      > Ray vk2tv

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic