1850Re: Raspberry Pi/What OS To Use

  • pmooney22
    Jun 19, 2013
      Sorry Ray, have to disagree.

      Debian Stable (wheezy) most definately is not a rolling release.

      Debian testing (Jessie) is a rolling relese in that have been (fairly) thoroughly tested in Debian unstable (Sid). In a year or two 'Jessie' will replace 'Wheezy' as the stable release.

      I would not recommend Jessie or Sid (especially the latter) to anybody who does not have a fairly extensive knowledge of Linux.

      Linux Mint Debian Edition takes updates from Jessie, so could be described as a rolling release.

      Ubuntu have stated their intention to move back towards Debian. They have the unfortuante tendency to put dates on their releases and get them out on time, 100% ready or not.

      paul 5B8BA

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

      > The advantage that vanilla Debian has over Ubuntu is it's a rolling
      > release so you don't have to reinstall every year or three as new
      > releases arrive. Just keep doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
      > Admittedly, Ubuntu avoids most "Debianisms".
      >
      > Ray vk2tv
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic